Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

bikes

Options
  • 08-08-2005 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

sorry but im thinking of getting a bike i am only 16 so am wondering what is the smallest size engine you can get in an actual bike body.thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Gilera DNA 50
    Honda NSR 50
    Aprilia RS 50
    Yamaha TZR 50

No idea what insurance groups they're in. Probably higher than a more powerful scooter and definetly highway robbery. Good luck none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

50cc is the smallest engine you can get in a motorbike and they have the same power as a derestricted moped. The Gilera DNA 50 is a scooter it has an automatic gearbox and is group 1 insurance but its slower than almost any scooter on the road.

The Honda NSR 50,Aprilia RS 50 and Yamaha TZR 50 are all group 2 which means there in the same insurance catagory as alot of 125's such as the Yamaha DT 125, Dragstar, Virago and Honda NRS 125(restricted model), Varadero 125 and a few others.

depending upon where you are you can expect to pay between €800-€1500 group 1 & €2500 - €3000 group 2 third party only.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

but is there any class 1 insurance in bikes bodys because i hate scooters because they look gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

All actual motorbikes are at least group 2 including the 50cc ones that are basically scooters with gears. I was in the same boat when I was 16, ended up buying a scooter anyway which I'm now selling if your interseted?

Only the gilera dna 50, which has a motorbike styled body but is in fact a very slow scooter see pic:

but is there any class 1 insurance in bikes bodys because i hate scooters because they look gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

Your best bet would be this:
    Buy a cheap scooter that will last you the year and is group 1 insurance.
    Insure it for the year.
    During the year, take some motorbike training, which is approved by aon.
    When the year is up, you can move onto a bigger(group 2) bike and your insurance would be cheaper(10% if you keep your NCB plus whatever % you get if you pass an aon approved exam at the end of your training).

• Advertisement
Advertisement