Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Connection

• 08-08-2005 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

As I've suggested in other threads I feel we should try compile a list of good and bad connections so as to find out if it's particular masts or people and if it depends in anyway on the package that you're on.
    Anyway I'm in Glasnevin so presumably on the Ballymun mast, although the results of pingplotter leave me wondering, 2Mb 24:1 package.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

has left you wondering what exactly?

your connection seems fine.

it's a bit more complicated that just what mast you're on.

e.g. you can have someone on ballymun with an extremley bad connection and another who is fine. for example there could be a few megs for /26 and the segment is full and have another one a /25 with no one else on that segment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

your connection's fine farohar , when ibb works for me it works very well but most of the time it does not work as it should .

http://members.boards.ie/clover/8-8-05.JPG

http://members.boards.ie/clover/23-7-05.JPG

thats what it has been like for me on the ballycoolin mast for the last couple of weeks :mad:

i was onto the support line today and i was asked to download an iso file from ftp.easat.net to test the download speed and it went from 9k to 50k for a sec then stayed at 14k for the rest of the time and thats on a 2 meg package :eek:

it's just aswell i only need the connection for surfing and such and not work .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Clover,

Did you get anywhere with the folks in IBB support reagrding the slow download speeds ??

Just curious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

ntlbell wrote:
    has left you wondering what exactly?
    The fact that the first mast it gives as a named reference is Ballycoolin, can only assume that the Ballymun mast isn't named and is just the first IP on the trace list. Considering the direction of my dish and those of all the others in my area I'm ~99% sure I'm on the Ballymun mast, think I can even identify the exact location of the mast.
    ntlbell wrote:
    your connection seems fine.

it's a bit more complicated that just what mast you're on.

e.g. you can have someone on ballymun with an extremley bad connection and another who is fine. for example there could be a few megs for /26 and the segment is full and have another one a /25 with no one else on that segment.
    This is why I've put this here and suggested compiling results, some people are of the illusion that all faults lie with the network, when it can be many things:
    Poor Antenna LOS/Alignment
    Incorrectly set-up either on your end or theirs (e.g. the IP assignment).
    Network traffic/oversubscription.
    Interference with the signal from an outside source (something transmitting/generating EM radiation at the same frequency).
    And I'm sure there are many others I've not thought of.

You'll find people complaining about the Ballymun mast on other threads yet my connection's fine, so I think the problem must be something other than the mast for those people.

Is the segment thing area related, i.e. dependant on the direction from which your antenna points towards the mast (NE, SW, etc...)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Macker1 wrote:
    Clover,

Did you get anywhere with the folks in IBB support reagrding the slow download speeds ??

Just curious

the guy was helpfull enough , changing settings and such but in the end he said he had to pass it onto another department that deals with the bandwith :confused: and if i'm still having probs to ring back on friday :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

farohar wrote:
    You'll find people complaining about the Ballymun mast on other threads yet my connection's fine, so I think the problem must be something other than the mast for those people.

Is the segment thing area related, i.e. dependant on the direction from which your antenna points towards the mast (NE, SW, etc...)?

The first ip in your trace there is your next hop people on the ballymun mask all won't have the same first hop has it will depend on what segment they're on. the easiest way to find out is to ring and aks :)

Nope nothing to do with the antenna, segements are like small networks within a network (look into subnetting). so say your on a /25 which is 255.255.255.128 so there's two segments here 1-126 to 129-254

so lets say your in the first, and there's 5 users within that someone else on ballymun is in the second which is fully subscribed, you have two segments exact same mast but the contention between the 5 is obviously going to be alot better than the segment that's fully subscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Hey I'm on the same mast on the 2mbit connection and supposedly around 16:1 contention thanks to the nice people at IBB but I NEVER get these speeds. I would be lucky to get 70kbps on a dl...how are yours so high? I've been upgraded only a month ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Have to agree with ntl. Your connections fine if not better then fine. Pings are good, overall throughput is good. You're one of the lucky ones. Just keep praying they don't overcontend it on you like the rest of us. Throwin ya a few screenshots to give you an idea of how lucky you are with the service.

I'm on the same 2mb. But was getting better speeds when their network ran at 512. Only reason I've stayed with them so long is nothing else was available. But thankfully thats changed now. Ordered a nice dsl package.

Up to and sometimes over 40% loss. Throughput to local irish servers of 7KB down!!! I actually CAN get better from dial up just its too costly. Dish is aligned just fine, and I could throw stones the high site is so close (believe me I'm tempted service I'm getting). Dish has been checked by them too. They eventually had to admit they are majorly overcontended and are awaiting more licences for additional hardware on the high site. (And no doubt backhaul bandwidth to cope also).

Count your lucky stars my friend!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Just out of curiousity,, Do all you guys ,that are still struggling with IBB, have any other options re broadband? ie have you no landline or cable.. Is there any other service providers available to you? After all thats been posted in the last couple of months I am seriously baffeled as to why anyone is putting up with this sort of service..
    btw. I am not trying to be smart here ,I just wouldn't tolerate the crap IBB are providing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 andmor

Basically we have no other choice but IBB here in East Donegal. It is actually coming off a mast in Strabane in N.Ireland. Not a hope in hell of getting Eircom broadband.

Last year we had a satellite connection with Digiweb. Expensive but at least the speeds never varied that much. The IBB engineer called them a lot of c**p when he pulled out their dish and cable but I am beginning to regret making the change to IBB. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

IBB engineer calling some other service crap? LOL now thats funny!

& so is this
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5197

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

beller b wrote:
    Just out of curiousity,, Do all you guys ,that are still struggling with IBB, have any other options re broadband? ie have you no landline or cable.. Is there any other service providers available to you? After all thats been posted in the last couple of months I am seriously baffeled as to why anyone is putting up with this sort of service..
    btw. I am not trying to be smart here ,I just wouldn't tolerate the crap IBB are providing...
    I switched from Netsource to IBB. For 2 months it was simply brilliant. For 2 weeks the pings went up a bit, but still miles better then Netsource. The past week - most websites timeout. Some are inaccessable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

su_dios wrote:
    Hey I'm on the same mast on the 2mbit connection and supposedly around 16:1 contention thanks to the nice people at IBB but I NEVER get these speeds. I would be lucky to get 70kbps on a dl...how are yours so high? I've been upgraded only a month ago
    70Kb/s on a file download or on the main test? As most of the time it is around 70Kb/s when downloading a file for me(though haven't really done too much of this, mostly gaming and surfing, don't want to to anger the broadband gods/gnomes, or whoever it is who fecks up good connections ;) ).
    Well I was installed only 3 weeks ago so in terms of timeframe not too dis-similar from when your upgrade happened.

Advertisement