Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB + Windows ME

• 08-08-2005 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

Hey,

A friend of mine is having MAJOR trouble with IBB running on a WINDOWS ME System. The connection is up and running and can ping but only to IP addresses and the same goes from within IE and FireFox. So the obvious problem is the DNS settings. Now in her fustration she went into the network settings (Control Panel > Network) and changed pretty much every service (s) and every adapter(s) settings to the IBB DNS settings but still no jor. No i'm verry computer smart and worked in IT for over a year with networks but never with windows ME, i only know XP back to front. So any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

Not trying to be smart but is there and option to get rid of ME and start using XP. Atleast then you would be able to assist with you IT skills.

Simple solution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hey,

A friend of mine is having MAJOR trouble with IBB running on a WINDOWS ME System. The connection is up and running and can ping but only to IP addresses and the same goes from within IE and FireFox. So the obvious problem is the DNS settings. Now in her fustration she went into the network settings (Control Panel > Network) and changed pretty much every service (s) and every adapter(s) settings to the IBB DNS settings but still no jor. No i'm verry computer smart and worked in IT for over a year with networks but never with windows ME, i only know XP back to front. So any ideas?

Yes you sound like a real IT whizz kid! :P

first things first, reinstall DUN, tried other DNS servers?

being the IT whizz that you are with XP you shouldn't have any problems troubleshooting ME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I do agree with Macker1. I had a 20 station roll out of ME and dumped it within month. Totally worthless.

On the otherhand, I assume you have somesort of firewall / router? If so, put your DNS settings into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

ntlbell wrote:
    Yes you sound like a real IT whizz kid! :P

first things first, reinstall DUN, tried other DNS servers?

being the IT whizz that you are with XP you shouldn't have any problems troubleshooting ME

How very patronising, stop.

Giblet wrote:
    How very patronising, stop.

Sorry was just a bit of tongue and cheek no harm intended!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

E-mail IBB and ask for their document to configure win98/me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Undercoverguy

OK two quick things. ME is Noting like XP so dont be a total muppet and say it is. XP is a entire new breed of Windows noting like any previous OS made my microsoft. ME and XP react differently to a majority of tasks. I was trained in on the in's and outs of XP not ME so dont patronize me and call me a "wizz kid".

Second, There is no Firewall and No router. All the TCP/IP settings are correct far as i can see just the DNS dosnt wanna work. Can anyone troubleshoot what the possible cause might me? What are the default settings for TCP/IP properties?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,637 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hey,
    Is the PC that this person is using directly connected to the IBB device or connecting through a router or other device?
    Have you checked for spyware/malware?

The DNS servers that IBB advised to use were 62.231.32.10 and 62.231.32.11

Have u disabled all other network adapters apart from the one which is connected to IBB?

OK two quick things. ME is Noting like XP so dont be a total muppet and say it is. XP is a entire new breed of Windows noting like any previous OS made my microsoft. ME and XP react differently to a majority of tasks. I was trained in on the in's and outs of XP not ME so dont patronize me and call me a "wizz kid".

Second, There is no Firewall and No router. All the TCP/IP settings are correct far as i can see just the DNS dosnt wanna work. Can anyone troubleshoot what the possible cause might me? What are the default settings for TCP/IP properties?

First of all get down of your high horse as said before it was a bit of tongue cheek nothing bad was intended. second of all don't go preaching on the differences between windows versions to people you don't know.

from a support perspective and for someone who knows windows XP "inside out" as you do there's nothing in ME which should cause you problems finding your way around an ME issue, i'm sure you've used 95/98

Moonbeam has worked for IBB and more than likley has troubleshooted 98/ME issues like this so maybe take her advice?

or you could do what I said and reinstall DUN and take it from there as this will give you default settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Your tcp/ip properties for th edevice that your IBB is plugged into should be set to 'Obtain address automatically'
    It should be plug and play.

If that does not work - Select all teh occurrences of tcp/ip in the network properties list- Uninstall / Remove
    Reboot
    In the same place Add Protocol - TCP/IP
    Reboot
    You should be ok

Is your IBB ethernet or USB

• Advertisement

(Couldnt be bothered to write back to that little rant.... Not getting O/T)

Its not mine its a friends, and it's the standard ethernet connection. I've reinstalled pretty much everything remotely to do with that DUN on the system. The only thing i'm worried about is that if i unstall the entire dial-up networking on the system again that i might lose the connection completly like last time. She lives pretty far to so i'll just slap firefox and VNC onto a disk get her to install it on the machine and work from home to try sort it.

I'd call Support again only they dont have a clue. Call out teams speak every language but english and support staff on the phone sound depressed and underpaid and therefore the basic thinking of irish broadband is "Could be arsed!"
    Most threads in here will tell ya that.

Oh and moonbeam i think someone said you work for IBB or something. That isnt a jab at yourself or anything but rather at the company as a whole and 90% of the IBB staff so please dont take offence. Now back onto topic......

I sent off the the guide over 2 weeks ago..... still waiting. I have a feeling it's just gonna be the basic stuff that i already did anyway. I took my laptop over to her house last week and i have it working on OK withing a min or two itsm that was on XP so i have a feeling ME just dont like IBB or myself.

Did you scan for viruses/malware etc??

Yep, New hardrive went into it about 2 weeks ago so the machine is still like brand new it havt had any burned disks put into it or any kind of connection and beacuse its a a new ME intall i cant see there being any on it. I still did nit anyway last week.... really scraping the bottom of causes now arnt i lol

Yep, New hardrive went into it about 2 weeks ago so the machine is still like brand new it havt had any burned disks put into it or any kind of connection and beacuse its a a new ME intall i cant see there being any on it.
    Surely the machine has been connected to the net-otherwise you would not have been able to ping anything...
    Have you ran all MS updates for ME from their site?
    The only thing i'm worried about is that if i unstall the entire dial-up networking on the system again that i might lose the connection completly like last time.
    What do you mean like last time??
    What happened last time??
    If its a fresh install there should be no issues and I doubt its anything on the IBB side.
    You also failed to mention what IBB package it is-is it fixed or static IP?
    Are there any firewalls on the machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Post the results of an ipconfig /all from her PC. If you can ping net IP addresses than it's obviously some messed up DNS settings. I'd imagine that you can do it the same way in XP as ME :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

winipcfg in ME , not ipconfig

Advertisement