Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something to really stress my gfx card

Options
  • 08-08-2005 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for an app to stess the gfx card so ill know if it broke or not.
    I had a x800xl that started giving bad textures playing ut and i found out the ram sink (plate) wasnt touching the some of the ram chips.
    I sent it back and they say i got a "new" one as replacement (overclockers.co.uk) but im convinced its not as good even thou it seems like the exact same gfx card only "new" (i hope).
    So whats really good at kicking the living crap out of my gfx card

Jozi

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

3DMark 2005 would be the standard. The new F.E.A.R singleplayer demo is supposed to be pretty intensive on full detail too, probably not as good as 3DMark at high resolutions, AA, AF etc but a lot more fun while your testing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I can vouch that F.E.A.R. on high is WAY more than your x800xl can handle. And don't even think of Maximum...
    Trust me on this :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ran 3dmark 05 a few times last nite. got around 4700 points.
    Internet was down last nite so didnt get to compare.
    Just checked the 3dmark thread and i got the same score as i did with the previous card.

Conclusion: i dont know whats wrong with the gfx card now :(

I used to run ut2k4 at max everything (highest driver settigns to) and at 1280 X 1024res without a bother, now the fps are all over the place on most maps

EDIT: going from 1 gfx card to another (both the same) should i have to reinstall driver or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

No, but reinstalling drivers (use Driver Cleaner Pro to clean the drivers from your system) is always a good idea when changing cards.

Uninstall drivers using Control Panel. Restart in Safe mode and clean using driver cleaner pro. Then shutdown. Remove and replace graphics card. Start PC and install fresh drivers.

I'll give that ago wizzard but i dont see why i should have to if the gfx's where both the same make and model? I'll give it ago anyway im open to any sugestions that might help.

If some of you play ut2k4 what fps do you get with all settings at max (incl driver settings) and 1280X1024 Res? (roughinery is a nice map to make the gfx work due to bad zone-ing)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

what are the other specs of your PC?
    maybe there is a bottleneck somewhere else

Dfi nf4 mobo (stock for the moment)
    Amd 64 3200+
    gig of ram (ocz stuff)
    HIS x800xl
    5something watt psu (ocz to)
    2Hd
    2Optical and fan controler

everything was fine before i had to rma the card (plate covering ram was loos and starte dto get bad textures etc gaming) they say they send me a new card (did come in new box with all accosories that i didnt send back) now with the new card ut2k4 doesnt run as smooth. No point trying other games cause i dont play them enough to notice the difference.
    I'm either going to reinstall windows as a last resort or send it back for a replacement again (windows seems like the less hasle option of the 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

jozi wrote:
    everything was fine before i had to rma the card (plate covering ram was loos and starte dto get bad textures etc gaming) they say they send me a new card (did come in new box with all accosories that i didnt send back) now with the new card ut2k4 doesnt run as smooth. No point trying other games cause i dont play them enough to notice the difference.
    I'm either going to reinstall windows as a last resort or send it back for a replacement again (windows seems like the less hasle option of the 2)

u shouldnt have to reinstall windows, with that rig on ut2k4 id reckon 70-90fps on the map and settings u specified.

u said you are getting the same 3dmark 05 score as the card u rma'd? whay would u expect to get anymore?? its the same card, although you were getting artifacting on the old card it shouldnt affect the 3dmark score so the score should be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

gline wrote:
    u said you are getting the same 3dmark 05 score as the card u rma'd? whay would u expect to get anymore?? its the same card, although you were getting artifacting on the old card it shouldnt affect the 3dmark score so the score should be the same.
    This is correct. Why would you expect more? Have you compared against similar cards in the ORB database?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Have a x800xl Powercolor and i was just topping the 5k mark. Just with Cat 5.7 - have a very simialr rig and got UT2004 a week ago and i can run it flat out with no worries at all.

Nukem

• Advertisement

Nukem wrote:
    Have a x800xl Powercolor and i was just topping the 5k mark. Just with Cat 5.7 - have a very simialr rig and got UT2004 a week ago and i can run it flat out with no worries at all.

Nukem

well jozi is getting 4700 on 3dmark, so its is roughly the same, what cpu u got Nukem?

TBH its probably UT2k4 that is fu**ed up

Its a 3500+ Winnie

Nukem wrote:
    Its a 3500+ Winnie

well then you are going to get a slightly higher score, id say 4700 is about right for his setup

Suppose! Anyways back on topic. Jozi - what you goin doin?

I'm not expecting better performance, i do how ever expect the same performance as with the first card and it looks like it isnt (just not in 3d mark).
    I'm going to install newer driver and reinstalled ut the other day (havent tried it since) will post later.
    Didnt get a chance to check similar speced rigs cause the bb was down in the 04 area yesterday :(

EDIT: nothing in the setup changed between the rma time

jozi wrote:
    I'm not expecting better performance, i do how ever expect the same performance as with the first card and it looks like it isnt (just not in 3d mark).
    I'm going to install newer driver and reinstalled ut the other day (havent tried it since) will post later.
    Didnt get a chance to check similar speced rigs cause the bb was down in the 04 area yesterday :(

EDIT: nothing in the setup changed between the rma time

u get to check this at all today??

Just ran 3dmark05 (4813 points) i cant browse results on-line trough it and the link for the ORB page does nothing either :confused:
    That looks like a new high score to for me, no overclocking.
    At least in 3dmark everything looks fine, havent had a chance to test it enough playing ut yet.

Jozi

Advertisement