Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Developer Salary

Options
  • 09-08-2005 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey,
    I thought I'd post here because ther would be plenty of people like me here.
    Just wondering what salary I would expect to be on at the moment as a Java developer with 1 years experience. I work in a small enough company so I've had alot of exposure to various sides of programming.....experience with EJB, JMS, HTML, Freemarker, javascript, XML, XSL, XSD, Unix, SQL. I work on a development team that adopts an Extreme Programming strategy and I have also done alot of client support.

It would be great to hear what kind of salary other developers with similar experience are on.

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Take a look at this:

http://www.recruitireland.com/careercentre/info/salarysurvey_it_permanent.asp

Also I had an interview for a Java dev job about a month ago and they were offering 28k (I just graduated and have no experience). So i reckon the money must be pretty good. Unfortunately I didn't get it :( . Bah, god damn job hunting is such a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

yeah - €26,000 seems like the starting point for people just out of college - dunno how much difference one year makes...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

http://www.irishjobs.ie/resource_centre/SalarySurvey.asp?SID=206

http://www.irishjobs.ie/resource_centre/SalarySurvey.asp?SID=213

it can really vary widely. i know of a few companies that are offering 22k to graduates and 23-24k for one years experience!!

Well the rest of the people from my class who just graduated are earning between 22k to 28k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

28k for a grad? Sounds like total BS!

22k is more like it. Even that is too much.

Grads know **** all about programming. It takes at least a year or two working as a programmer before you realise the **** they thought you in college is totally useless.

Companies who pay 28k are retards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I wouldn't believe many recruitment companys
    good start would be 25, if you had a years exp then maybe 27ish

dublindude wrote:
    28k for a grad? Sounds like total BS!

22k is more like it. Even that is too much.

Grads know **** all about programming. It takes at least a year or two working as a programmer before you realise the **** they thought you in college is totally useless.

Companies who pay 28k are retards.

I know the lad who got the job that i went for as well and he is getting paid that and bonuses above and beyond that. These guys hire top grads, and seem to be doing pretty well for themselves. So I wouldn't call them retards.

Anyway 22k seems to be the exception rather than the rule, 24k seems to be what a lot of people I know are getting. You are right that graduates don't know as much as someone with a couple of years of experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Grads know **** all about programming

Cheers for the broad sweeping generalisation there pal. I'll go tell my boss that I know nothing about programming and he better take down all the software I've worked on, rather successfully, for the last 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I worked with excellent and terrible grads. All with 1.1 degrees. The difference is some have a bit of common sense, some don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

I worked with excellent and terrible grads. All with 1.1 degrees. The difference is some have a bit of common sense, some don't.

Exactly. Some just have the talent for it and others are just good at studying and passing exams.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I start my new job as a Web Dev type person at 24k next monday. Graudate with 1 odd year of so-so IT experience. (Doesnt include the many years of foxing mind :p) I'm happy with 24. Id take almost anything to get a few years on the damn CV.

Advertisement