Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israel ranks among most corrupt in West

Options
  • 09-08-2005 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Would you Believe!
    ISRAEL RANKS AMONG MOST CORRUPT IN WEST
    IT'S official. WORLD BANK SAYS SO.
    Israel's regime is one of the most corrupt and least efficient in the Western world. In fact, the only developed country considered more corrupt and less efficient is Italy, according to data published by the World Bank. The World Bank figures are in the public domain, and were republished yesterday by Business Data Israel (BDI).

The World Bank government efficiency index examines the quality of public services. It ranks the professionalism of government officials providing the services, bureaucracy, political pressure on officials and government's credibility regarding policy commitments. The Israeli index reached 80.8 percent, trailing developed countries like Holland, the United Kingdom, Germany, the United States, France and Spain. The average ranking in the developed world was 89.7 percent.

The government corruption index compares the public perception on whether government power is used to promote private interests. Israel again scored 80.8 percent, compared to an average 91.4 percent average among developed nations. Only Italy scored lower, at 74.9 percent.

The law enforcement index examines various bodies' confidence in the judicial system. Israel earned 74.4 percent, far behind Spain (85 percent), France (88.9 percent) and the average for developed countries (90.3 percent). Holland led the pack at 95.2 percent, followed by the U.S. and Germany, both at 92.3 percent.

The regulatory index looks into whether government policy impedes free market mechanisms and if banking regulation is effective. Israel scored lowest out of the developed nations on this parameter, at 71.9 percent compared to an average 90.6 percent.

Israel posted the lowest index in political stability, at 15 percent, compared to the U.S.'s 60.7 percent, Italy's 56.3 percent or Holland, at the top of the table with 88.3 percent.

BDI reported that Israel's ranking in government quality has taken a worrisome downturn since 2000. BDI attributed the deterioration to the security situation, the economic crisis and various corruption affairs from recent years.

"Israel is considered one of the riskiest places in the Western world, with an unstable, inefficient regime, low accountability , a relatively high rate of state corruption and poor law enforcement," BDI said, based on the World Bank report. BDI economists noted that the low indices hamper foreign investment, raise risk premiums on financial markets and hurt resource allocation.

==========
    HAARETZ
    "Israel ranks among most corrupt in West "
    By Ora Coren ....Thu., August 04, 2005 Tamuz 28, 5765
    http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/608423.html
    Wouldn't it makes sense for the US to ship them all back Stateside? They would save a fortune. They would have plenty of well trained troops to control Iraq. No, I'm not serious but ...it is a good idea. Given a choice which would you prefer - oil or supporting crooked Israel? If you had the choice.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Aren't Israel in the Middle East?

I would read your post, but blue gives me a headache

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Do you have to keep changing the fonts like that? Makes me ignore the post.

righthand
    This is not a newspaper.
    Edit your posts please so they read like everyone elses or I will edit them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

flogen wrote:
    I would read your post, but blue gives me a headache
    me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Earthman wrote:
    Edit your posts please so they read like everyone elses or I will edit them for you.
    I'm bored so I took the five seconds to do it. While I don't tend to edit posts except to remove infammatory abuse, it was either that or delete them entirely and I'm half interested to see if the OP actually has any interest in actual discussion.

Righthand, this is neither a press release board or a newspaper. It's a discussion board. I see no reason for your posts to give people head-pains. I've a short wick so please remember that in future. I'd rather you took the time to discuss the parts of the cut and pasted press releases that especially intyerest you rather than taking the lazy way out and turning them blue. Occasional emphasis can be useful, making your post rainbow colours in large multiple fonts does nothing for either you or your argument (or the board, which hasn't yet been sponsored by Fisher-Price)

Additionally, boards.ie (and the politics forum in particular) isn't an advertising ground for other forums you wish to advertise. We've had links to other forums posted before and I generally don't have a problem with that where it's relevant to the discussion. However your three posts appear to be geared towards sending people to another board (which I've not accessed so I've no idea of its content) rather than being interested in starting a discussion here. Hence I've edited out the link on all three of your threads. Complaints may be made to me by PM, by starting a HelpDesk ticket or by posting on the Feedback board in the System category.

• Advertisement
Advertisement