Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Churches raise pressure on firms in Israel

Options
  • 09-08-2005 3:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

Churches raise pressure on firms in Israel
    In bid to end Israel's control of Palestinian territories, Presbyterian USA takes next step in divestment threat.
    CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR

from the August 08, 2005 edition By Jane Lampman, Staff Writer
    http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0808/p02s01-ussc.html

CHECK OUT THE END EMAIL
    One by one, mainline Protestant denominations with close ties to the Holy Land are taking controversial steps aimed at influencing the Israeli-Palestinian peace process.

While the churches have engaged in Middle East issues for decades, the decision of some to begin using economic leverage to press for an end to the Israeli occupation has roiled the US Jewish community and some within their own church ranks. The initiative to consider divestment began with a vote by Presbyterians last year, but has been gathering momentum as various churches debate the issue in national conventions.

On Friday, the Presbyterian Church USA reignited concerns when its investment committee named five US corporations it intends to push to reform their practices. The effort could eventually lead to divesting from the church's $8 million portfolio.

The committee said the firms contribute to the ongoing conflict through support for the Israeli occupation and settlements, construction of the separation barrier on the West Bank, or facilitating violent acts against civilians.
    There's much more in the article.

The end of apartheid in South Africa was achieved mainly through outside economic pressures. Although the sports boycott was much more visible and so important, it was the economic boycott that started the change. Large companies were starting to pull out so forcing the change. The immense benefit was that no large scale conflict happened, so smoothing the way for peaceful change over. SA and Zimbabwe were the only two former UK colonies that didn't have a civil war after the 'departure'.

This story was first available on Aug 7 2005 by the NEW YORK TIMES, but has since being spiked. Does happen but not as quick as this.
    "Threat to Divest Is Church Tool in Israeli Fight"
    By LAURIE GOODSTEIN ...Published: August 6, 2005
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/06/n....html?th&emc=th[/center]
    The Presbyterian Church U.S.A. announced Friday that it would press four American corporations to stop providing military equipment and technology to Israel for use in the occupation of the Palestinian territories, and that if the companies did not comply, the church would take a vote to divest its stock in them.

The Presbyterian Church U.S.A. is in the forefront of a campaign now spreading to other mainline Protestant churches to use corporate divestment as a tactic in the Middle East conflict, a tactic that is roiling relations with Jewish groups.
    SINISTER, being spiked like that. READ ON for sinister.

I had received an extraordinary E-mail from an Israeli newspaper. I don't have the technical know how to post it complete, but I'll forward it to anyone interested.
    July 4, 2005
    Dear Friend of Israel,
    This weekend, the United Church of Christ voted on divestment from Israel. Other prominent churches are looking at divestment, including the 77-million-member Anglican church.

Divestment is worse than a simple boycott -- it is an expression of hate.

Our petition against divestment already has more than 7,000 names. But our goal is to collect more than 10,000.
    Mainline church leaders must get a strong message: Economic attacks on Israel are unjust and must stop.
    Help us send the message that Israel's enemies can't ignore
    Anti-Semitism by "mainline" Christians will not be tolerated
    George W. Mamo
    Executive Director, Stand for Israel
    I'm sure its not as bad as it reads. I'm sure these simple straight forward threatening words can be interpreted in a less threatening way. I'm sure someone will attempt to enlighten me. Dream on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Edited - see my post in this thread for why

Advertisement