Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton V Villarreal (Scores included)

• 09-08-2005 9:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭

Well we've had a few champions league matches so far but none really competitive (oddly with a celtic V artmidia agg score of 5-4!), untill now! Its gonna be a tough game for Everton but definately cant write them off, they're gonna be up for this one big time! Carsleys out and Bent seems to be injured so Big Dunc will prob fill in up front with Phil starting his career resurrection tonight in the holding role (probably). Everton's best bet is prob outmuscling them and just going in hard for everything, though Villarreal have some genius in midfield with Riquelme and Tacchinardi, and 2 strikers with very big points to prove in England in Diega Forlan and Luciano Figueroa.

Am sure its gonna be a cracker anyway!

1st leg Prediction; 2-2

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think Villareal have too much quality in their ranks for Everton, especially with the genius that is Riquelme. He is a top drawer player and I could not believe it when Barcelona let him go. He will pull all the strings in midfield and Everton will really struggle with him since they are missing their one big tackler in Lee Carsley.

Villareal also have two very good forwards in Forlan who had a nightmare in England but was one of the top scorers in La Liga last season, and Figueroa who is an Argentinian international and impressed quite a few people in the confederations cup recently.

For Everton to get anything out of this game they need to mark Riquleme out of the game and keep him off the ball. Also they must attck Villareal from the off with a very high pace and try and score early.

Tbh I think Villareal might be a bit too strong for Everton and I cant see them being beaten tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Oddly enough I think this is Phil's most important game for Everton for the rest of the season.
    His job is going to be the hardest, that of marking Riquleme out of the game.
    He has done it before vs. Vieiria and is loved by United fans for his preformances in certain big games so hopefully he can produce the stuff for Everton.

This is going to be an incredibly hard game for Everton, but I think they have the talent in Beattie and Cahill to win this game, but it will be nicking a goal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is this on TV...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

its only on itv2 which most irish ppl dont have.

in setanta sports wisdom they are showing the rangers game :rolleyes:
    Ill prolly go to Fraziers on o'connell street as they are showing it there. its also on in the cuckoos nest in tallaght.

Cant wait.

I think moyes will prolly send out 4-5-1 with beattie up front which will be a huge mistake as he needs a strike partner. but we wiull see how it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Should be a cracker of a game! I think Villareal might walk this, Riquelme will be too much to handle. 3-1 villareal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I think the first leg will be tight enough. Everton will start with the 4-1-4-1 formation that combated teams like this last season...

Martyn
    Hibbert
    Kroldrup
    Yobo
    Pistone

Neville

-- Davies
    Cahill
    Arteta
    Kilbane --

Beattie

At the back between Kroldrup and Yobom they have played in Italy, Spain and France, so they are 'European Style' centre backs. They are good on the ground, which is where they will have good experience against players such as forlan, who are all ball skill on the ground type players.

Neville will do that good job in front protecting the back 4 as Carsley is out. Neville will have a bit more stamina though, so it'll be interesting to see how he fits in.

Kilbane will run all day and never give up, so I can see plenty of balls whipped in for Beattie from the left. Davies is more a 'ball to feet' type of passer, so that will be a different style of attack from the right. Both are good at tracking back as well.

In the middle Cahill will hook up with Beattie and make forward runs, with Arteta sitting back a bit more and keeping tight on Riquelme.

Beattie up front will have to run the b0ll0x of himself. I can see a midfielder being sacrifised with about 20 mins to go, to make way for a 4-4-2 with big Dunc coming on to partner Beattie and get a load of crosses in from Kilbane.

Their tactic will be to try and contain Villarreal in the centre of the park as they play 3 centre midfielders... and to try and dominate them physically...

I just cant call this one.... my heart says 6-0 to everton, but my head says scrappy 0-0....

My hands are shaking as I type this even thinking about the game..... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

If anybody finds a stream, post it up please :x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PiE wrote:
    If anybody finds a stream, post it up please :x

As above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Over two legs I think the Toffeees hav'nt a hope but hey its football and I have to admit part of me wants them to get through. I like the idea of 4 teams in the groups stages.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Washout wrote:
    in setanta sports wisdom they are showing the rangers game :rolleyes:
    I think the rolleyes should be pointed towards RTE. They are showing the Man Utd game even though almost everyone in Ireland has BBC anyway. I'd say they'd have got better ratings with the Everton match.

Neville

-- Davies
    Cahill
    Arteta
    Kilbane --
    While Neville has played in midfield plenty of times, I can't remember him ever playing the holding role. That could be worrying if he does play it tonight without much experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Neville will do well in that position I think.. Although, surely he would be a far better option than Pistone at left back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Holy ****, your not serious eirebhoy...United are on 2 channels again?! while everton get relegated to the pit that is ITV2, absolute joke. I think they only show united on RTE non stop for another chance to brown nose roy keane. hell be mentioned 200 times at half time and full time. bloody rte..

While Neville has played in midfield plenty of times, I can't remember him ever playing the holding role. That could be worrying if he does play it tonight without much experience.

He has done it a couple of times.
    Champions League final is perhaps the best example.
    Also in number matches against Arsenal
    He knows how to play the position, and I think has enough experience :)
    It's whether he's got the skill to do it, which is the real question :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Provided Everton don't conceed early, they should do alright. Kroldrup and Neville will need to hit the ground running.

Here's hoping for a 1-0 Everton win.

Neville will do well in that position I think.. Although, surely he would be a far better option than Pistone at left back?
    perhaps, but carsley is injured, who would normally play the holding role, so Neville is better playing there...

Pistone isn't a bad option for left-back. He'll do the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    He has done it a couple of times.
    Champions League final is perhaps the best example.
    LOL.

Yes definitely the best example.

As for tonights game, Im going to go with a 1-1 draw. I cant see Everton keeping a clean sheet tonight, and I think that will be their downfall in the tie.

Im gunning for a 1-0 Everton though, once its a good game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hopefully they will be 1 or 2 up after this leg.. They will find it going away from home in the second leg I reckon..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

when does it start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

any streams????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Seaneh wrote:
    when does it start?
    Just after starting, five minutes in.

I'm reduced to looking at updates on Soccernet in work - some classic comments already though:

"The referee is from Norway, and looks like a fat Pierluigi Collina."

"David Moyes looks very determined on the Everton bench. His opposite number, Pellegrini, looks like a caberet singer."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

1 down. Good goal, class will out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

1-1 beattie

1-1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Beattie you beauty :D

2-1 villareal...

fcuk... great diving header...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

2-1 Villa (half time now)
    Hopefully Everton come out strong in the second half. They'll need to make up as much ground as possible now as the away leg is going to be all the more difficult with Villa getting away goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

They will need to be going there not needing to score if they are to stand a chance at Villareal. Couple more from beattie would do the trick.

any streams??

• Advertisement

found one

download sopcast

sop://sop.sopcast.org/channel-9

mada999 wrote:
    found one

download sopcast

sop://sop.sopcast.org/channel-9

im watching it on:
    sop://sop.sopcast.org/channel-1055

<- Kilbane
    -> Ferguson

<- Beattie
    -> Bent

4-4-2

Martyn

Hibbert - Yobo - Weir - Pistone

Davies - Cahill - Arteta - Neville

Bent - Ferguson

Not much time left but:

[URL]mms://212.199.221.153/838978[/URL]
    [URL]mms://213.8.106.59/838978[/URL]
    [URL]mms://213.8.106.61/838978[/URL]
    [URL]mms://212.150.36.34/838978[/URL]
    [URL]mms://192.114.71.118/838978[/URL]

about 10 mins to go:

<- Pistone
    -> Mc Fadden

Suckage for Everton :/
    Lets hope they can pull it back

• Advertisement

ah well.

Finished Everton 1 - 2 Villarreal....

Not the ideal result. A draw would have been better. We aren't out yet, but it'll be difficult.

Proud of the boys tonight, they went out there and give it 110%. Villarreal are a class side though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Cant see them going over there and scoring two which is what they have to do now. UEFA Cup it is.

I actually have a feeling that they could go quite far in the UEFA Cup though.

Just to back up what I said in the other thread. The following teams have played a European match in The Madrigal stadium over the last 2 years:

AZ Alkmaar
    Steaua Bucharest
    Dynamo Kiev
    Egaleo
    Middlesbrough
    Hammarby
    Atl. Madrid
    SV Hamburg
    Spartak Moscow
    Odense
    Valencia
    Celtic
    Roma
    Galatasaray
    Torpedo Moscow
    Trabzonspor
    Heerenveen
    FC Brno
    Brescia

18 teams in total. Only AZ Alkmaar managed to score there. 18 clean sheets in their 19 home games. AZ would have scored against any team in the world last year though. They were class. :)

I don't even think a draw would have been good enough for Everton. They had to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

ahhh well never mind eh?

Best bet is to never put the head down. You only need to win by 2 goals.

Liverpool had to score three in less than 40 mins against Milan.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I found myself cheering on Everton. They were a bit unlucky, it took two very good goals to beat them.

Bringing on Drunken and Bent for Kilbane and Beattie didnt work at all. Everton were playing great up to that and it looked like a goal must come, but after the substitutions it was more "huff and puff" than football. Also Villareal immediately brought on Tacchinardi, which seemed to steady them up defensively.

Also surprised that Killer was taken off. I thought he was doing better than any of Cahill, Arteta or Davies. I would have taken Davies off.

I wouldnt completely rule out a comeback in the second leg. If Everton are positive, aggressive and play well then they've every chance. If they keep giving the ball away though, they'll be picked off with little difficulty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭toffeeman

We really have a mountain to climb after that. Going to long ball after bringing on Dunc and Bent really didn’t work. Having Bent out on the left wing... What was that about? McFadden should have come on earlier as Pistone was having a mare once again.

Great atmosphere in Fraziers, I have never seen so many Evertonians in a pub in Ireland. I'm so used to being in the minority. And no one was watching Utd on the telly in the corner (Obviously because it was on in every house and pub in the country), which was another first. But that place was way too warm, was like a sweatbox. Definitely be back for the 2nd leg in two weeks though. Miracles can happen!

BTW, does anyone who was in Fraziers know what was that other game all those Germans were going crazy about in the other end of the pub? At least I think they were Germans or some eastern European extraction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

i was there as well and the only thing i could think of that it must have been the hamburg V Valencia game. great atmosphere though i went downstairs for the second half as it was roasting upstairs.

I just watched it on the net stream and listened on BBC Five Live.... Should have went down to Fraziers I reckon!!!!

Just remembered that on 24th for the away leg I have tickets for 'Weezer' in the point..... *goes to FS Tickets* :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

Emmo wrote:
    ahhh well never mind eh?

Best bet is to never put the head down. You only need to win by 2 goals.

Liverpool had to score three in less than 40 mins against Milan.

Emmo

They did indeed, and they managed it in less than 7 :D;):p

Damo

Advertisement