Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else sick of IT Career?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

clearz wrote:
    Sounds to me that this is just more fallout from the dot-com boom in the late 90's when most ppl went into IT at the prospect of making a quick buck without a shread of intrest in computers.
    There are also plenty of people in IT who love their work but hate their jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

Zaph0d wrote:
    There are also plenty of people in IT who love their work but hate their jobs.

Oh I know there is. And I see a lot of hope on the horizon for us. When the people that hate the work all quit their jobs to become firemen, binmen or whatever else tickles their fancy there will be a lot more IT jobs for us to choose from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Zaph0d

When people leave IT it does increase the number of jobs available and the rates of pay but that's not what people are complaining about in this thread. They are having difficulty with management and other people issues at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Sure...but you can always change job without changing industry if your problem is that you hate your job and love your work.

If you're not willing to do that, then its a case that you don't like your job, but there are benefits to it which are more important to you than liking it.....in which case you can try and change things and/or just accept that they're unlikeable as they are.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've been contracting for 2 years now (9 years in the industry) and the one thing I hate when starting a new project or contract is the person who assumes that the majority of people in I.T. are incompetent, useless or are just there for the quick buck and have no *real* interest. These people are very difficult to work with.

I'm moving more and more into a analyst/dev roles and away from pure dev work. There's a lot more career paths available and am currently having a huge rethink of my professional life. I've retrained into .Net over the last year and really don't want to have to do it again when the next big shift comes. Hopefully I'll have moved into a role where those skills aren't so important.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

bonkey wrote:
    Sure...but you can always change job without changing industry if your problem is that you hate your job and love your work.

If you're not willing to do that, then its a case that you don't like your job, but there are benefits to it which are more important to you than liking it.....in which case you can try and change things and/or just accept that they're unlikeable as they are.

jc
    Great words - really gets to the point. Sums up my situation.

I think those of us who feel passion for our job are the ones who find it hard to treat it as just a job - and therefore get most frustrated when dealing with muppetry from Management and our less dedicated colleagues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

ando wrote:
    I'm in IT for 4 years now. I've had enough and last year I decided to go for the fire brigade. I'm currently in the Aux Fire service and will be qualified in September, which I am hoping will help in the recruitment stage for the DFB. If the Garda recruit before the fire brigade I'll be going for that instead.
    At least with the Guards you'll still also have the option of doing IT within the Guards.

Advertisement