Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proxy Auto Config question re firewall

Options
  • 09-08-2005 9:47am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Our firewall allows some PC's more internet access than others. So I can't just stick in a proxy as some people will have too much/too little internet access.

The firewall replaces blocked pages with a generic html page, so I'm not sure if the proxy can tell if it's hit a block or not. I can't export the firewall rules to the proxy server 'cos that would be just too easy :rolleyes:

I could setup one proxy (SquitNT) per firewall profile so each PC would connect to a proxy that was on the same firewall rules as it - this is messy and I'd rather not do it that way.
    If I do this I could setup them to be cache peers - I just want to confirm that one of the peers won't retrieve stuff from the internet for another peer that isn't allowed out to all of the internet because of it's rules. Or do I just setup the one with least access as a parent ?

Or is there any way I could get Squid to use make it's requests using the IP address of the PC instead of it's own address so that the firewall rules apply (can't use fancy tricks 'cos it will be running on a windows box) ?

Proxy Autoconfig for clients - yes I can set it up so if a proxy isn't found PC's can go direct - but would this work on a per site basis so that if the proxy can't find a site the client (IE) would go direct ?
    http://wp.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

Advertisement