Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car

Options
  • 09-08-2005 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭

Hi Just bought a new car last night got a peugeot 106 GTi just wondering what people think its a 98 94000 miles but it has a service history so im not worried and has all timing belt water pump and tensioners renewed took it for a spin last night its great fun but not as quick as my old Daihatsu Charade GTti but it is close its pretty much standard condition even has the original tape Deck in it so no noisey exhaust and crap to get rid of it has some general wear and tear scratching on the body but nothing that cant be sorted cheaply,anyway heres a pic and ill shut up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

nice, no silly wings, looks good.

How much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

Looks like you got a good buy!! best of luck with it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

looks great. how much did it set you back?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the GTi is a great little car. A friend used to have one and it was damn quick! His only gripe was the fact that most tyre centres are unable to balance the wheels due to no centre hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

Its cost me €4500 i reckon i got a good deal on it considering they go for €5500 plus for one with loads of crap stuck to it and the stones driven out of it by idiots and a patchy history. never knew that about the wheel balancing im sure theres a way around it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Looks nice.

This might be helpful -> "." :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Nice jobbie pete will have a look at it Thursday dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

peterk19 wrote:
    never knew that about the wheel balancing im sure theres a way around it.
    Nice car - hard to find one of these that someone hasnt subjected to "skanger-me-banger". Best of luck with it.

I have the same problem with my DS. You need a tyre place with a balancing hub. I use Chaulkley Tyres in Ranelagh. I find them reasonable and efficient.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

peterk19 wrote:
    never knew that about the wheel balancing im sure theres a way around it.
    If I remember correctly my mate found that dealers were unable to balance the wheels as they hadn't the proper equipment. Mind you, my own experience of Pug dealers is that they are staffed by idiots!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

"skanger-me-banger"

LOL,

Ha ha ha, priceless. Do you mind if i rob that one for everyday use?

• Advertisement

Nice car - hard to find one of these that someone hasnt subjected to "skanger-me-banger". Best of luck with it.

I have the same problem with my DS. You need a tyre place with a balancing hub. I use Chaulkley Tyres in Ranelagh. I find them reasonable and efficient.

Yea they seem to destroy a perfectly good looking car by sticking all sorts of plastic bits to it i looked a good few before i bought this one wouldnt buy most of them over the extra bits and noisey exhausts, plus i like the colour although i was looking for a silver one i think i prefer this burnt orangey colour

@woody: yea sure i might even let you take it for a spin if im feeling generous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

Nice car and a good price ... Sort it with some Koni shocks and springs and you will have a road going go-kart

Ye ai was thinkin about lowing it but its too much hastle to plus i like the ride from it i dont want to feel too much of the road and the speed ramps would drive me crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

Hey Peter, nice ride. Its unusual to see a GTI that clean and non tarted up :) nice find

I'll keep an eye out for ya ;)

ando wrote:
    Hey Peter, nice ride. Its unusual to see a GTI that clean and non tarted up :) nice find

I'll keep an eye out for ya ;)

Thanks Ando sure at least you will see me before you hear me which is the way i like it send me a pm if you wanna meet up and ill we can have a look at each others cars your looks pretty good
    Pete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

So, you finally bought one then Pete. :)

http://www.octane.ie/cult/forum/showthread.php?t=2103
    Did u see that one Pete.
    155Hp,,, sure you shud hype yours up to that. And get a front bumper, bodykit style for it. Sure, you know you`d like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

super car, faultless handling on winding roads - not so bad on juice/tax. all in all a good buy. my only gripe (and its a small one) is the lack of space for feet in and around the pedals!
    congrats and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Nice car peterk19.

You did well to get an unspoilt example.

.......a 3-disc tax holder and she'll be perfect ;)

Best of luck with her!

Silvera
    (Ex-Panel Beater....and fussy car owner :D)

@Boardsee yea stick a load of crap to it and make it look like a whores Handbag no thanks i prefer to keep my cars they way they were intended to be.

@ciarsd yea she is fantastic on the backroads i had a big smile on my face the first time i took it out.

@Silvera yea she's not a bad example had her down with a mate today who is a panel beater decieded to replace the bonnet and respray the bodykit im just not happy with them want it perfect
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Looks to be in excellent condition, wouldnt be my colour preference but for such a good quality, non-molested gti you've bought a winner :D

• Advertisement

Thanks took a proper look at the underneath this morning and the spare is an original gti alloy well happy with that and i may have sourced an original leather interior for it too so it should be looking and running the way i want it in about 2 or 3 weeks
    Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭ando

I seen the car a few days ago, surprisingly very nice to drive ;) only a few minor body work problems but other than that its a great car for the money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Pete,

A word of caution .....
    Make sure that if you replace the bonnet that the paintjob (and fitting) is to a high standard.

Otherwise potential buyers could be put off when it comes time to sell in a few years.

Silvera.

Silvera wrote:
    Pete,

A word of caution .....
    Make sure that if you replace the bonnet that the paintjob (and fitting) is to a high standard.

Otherwise potential buyers could be put off when it comes time to sell in a few years.

Silvera.
    Yea thanks for that but my mate does his work to a very high standard from all the work ive seen him do id be confident letting him work on any car i'll ever own.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Good luck with the car :)

Looks clean and the price was pretty good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

boardsee wrote:
    So, you finally bought one then Pete. :)

http://www.octane.ie/cult/forum/showthread.php?t=2103
    Did u see that one Pete.
    155Hp,,, sure you shud hype yours up to that. And get a front bumper, bodykit style for it. Sure, you know you`d like it.

It's still for sale btw...

Nudge Nudge! hehe! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

Small world. :D

Sorry for digging up this old thread but I now own this car, I bought it from a guy in Lucan three weeks ago and it now resides in the Galway area with 126k on the clock.

Was it you who had the wing replaced? ;)

Advertisement