Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Title to de decided in the next 2 weeks?

• 09-08-2005 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

With Shels dropping vital points again last night, leaving the a whopping 10 points off second and 14 off top, the next few days are so vital for them, and indeed for Cork City and Derry City.

On Friday, Derry travel to Pats, where they should pick up all 3 points. Pats a re a poor poor side this season, and Derry should have no problems closing the gap at the top to just on emeasly point/

Next up is arguably the biggest game of Shels' season, away to Cork City in Turners Cross, live on RTE2. Should City win this, Shels are gone completely. In fact if Shels dont win, its all over for them, and if they lose, they can kiss goodbye to Europe altogether.

Then, the following friday, it will be the biggest 6 pointer in the eL since Bohs and Shels a few seasons back, when itll be a tale of 2 Citys at the Brandywell, again live on RTE2. There could only be a single point seperating the teams here. A win for either team would be a massive blow to the other, especially if CCFC lose 2 in a row. That said, CCFC aweay form has been amazing, but Derrys home form is quite decent also. If Cork City win both these games, the league chase is all but over, If City lose both, its wide open again, as Shels will fancy their chances of catching up, and Derry will have the lead (assuming Drry beat Pats!).

What a title race!!! Id imagine there will be quite a few twists and turns yet though.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

TBH, Shels are out of the race after last night.

I'd like to see us take at least a point at the Cross on Monday though, and Derry to beat the Village at home. Otherwise, the VIllage will win the laeague at a canter.

A top two weeks of football though, hopefully good football and little drama to win a few more EL supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Good that it'll be on TV too. I'm hoping we can make a challenge for second, but that'll be it me thinks. Will be in Richmond cheering on the junkies on Friday, hoping Derry drop more points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

the Village ..........the VIllage

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If McCourt impresses he could make all the difference for Derry, and in Farren they have someone who can score goals at any time. City v City will be some game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Shels are definitely out of the running now, the recent performances havent given me much hope for the immediate future. Its down to the two cities and I'm looking forward to watching the run-in as a neutral!

• Advertisement

Ive said it so much now I should probably put it in my sig, but Cork City Vs Derry City, Nov 19th could very well be a title decider. Thank God we are at home!

If Shels weren't so rubbish domestically this season the last two weeks of the season could have been fascinating. We play Cork on the 2nd last week as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Why didnt Cork get any players in during the transfer window?
    Top of the league few grand in the bank and trying to get players to come out of retirement?

Reckon that if Cork a get few injuries they will suffer more than Derry. We will probably beat Derry on friday its way it is if they doing well we win , if we doing well they win.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    We will probably beat Derry on friday its way it is if they doing well we win , if we doing well they win.

kdjac

Took me about 2 minutes to decipher that ! I assume it means form means nothing coming into the game??!?

Why didnt Cork get any players in during the transfer window?

Didn't really need to. We signed Willie Bruton on a free who can cover left/right wing and upfront. I think we have also signed Stephen Grant, but he wont be joining up with the squad until September.

Other than that, we have cover for most all positions.

Neal Horgan can play left and right back. Greg O Halloran likewise. Should both of them be out be injured, Billy Woods has played in those 2 positions as well.

If one of the centre halves get injured, Derek Coughlan is there to step into the breach, as would Greg. There is also the option of recalling Shane Guthrie from loan at Kilkenny.

Left wing, there is the choice of Liam Kearney, Willie Bruton, Billy Woods and Roy O Donovan.

Right Wing choice of Willie Bruton, Billy Woods and Roy O Donovan, George O Callaghan.

Centre Mid: Joe Gamble, George, Colin O Brien, Greg O Halloran

upfront: John O Flynn, Neal Fenn, George O Callaghan, Roy O Donovan, Willie Bruton and Denis Behan.

Id hardly call that a squad low on options. Considering each and every one of them hjas played 1st team football this season, it looks good. The only real area which would worry me is that of Goalkeeper, but Mick Devine is due back in 2-3 weeks, so thats that covered again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick, is there some twisted reverse psychology going on here, you still think Shels are in with a chance?

I disagree that we will lose any sight of Europe if we don't beat Cork City next week, but if we continue to ship goals we will finish fifth.

Curtis Fleming looked good last night, and with Heary back in the side, Fleming can go to LB and get Crawley out of the side. Once that happens our defence will calm down, I think.

Stuart Byrne's performance last night was dispicable, and will incur a lengthy ban. Alan Reynolds will add some steel to the team at midfield, something which we will need, as we have to play Weso and Ndo as last night we played some great stuff in the first half, we really did. I can see Gary O'Neill making more appearances too, he looked sharp when he came on last night, well up for it.

Anyway, while our hopes for the title are certainly gone, Europe isn't, especially if the two Cities meet in the Cup Final.

Now on to the title race itself. Yep, you will need not to lose to us next week, if only to maintain the form, but ye are not as good this season at The Cross as ye are away. Derry will beat Pats, then the game against ye will be briliant.

I think Cork City will win the league, and Shels will come second.

But having said all of that, Rico has NEVER won the league.

seansouth wrote:

gimmick, is there some twisted reverse psychology going on here, you still think Shels are in with a chance?

Im too superstitious to write off teams who are perenial challengers AND, look at Citys run at the end of last season. Shels have quality players, and are used to dealing with pressure.
    seansouth wrote:
    But having said all of that, Rico has NEVER won the league.

First time for everything.

gimmick wrote:
    Shels have quality players, and are used to dealing with pressure.
    Not judging by last night they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Shels are out of it at this stage, no doubt about it. It's not just the results, but the performances. They don't even look like they can beat teams like they did last season, and Fenlon doesn't look like he has the slightest idea what his best team is, regardless of the amount of injuries they've had this season.

I think Cork will win it, and I think they will take a big step this weekend. I've a feeling Derry will lose to Pats, or at least fail to beat them. Bray were one of the teams that had Derry's number in the first round of fixtures, and have gone on to beat them in the second round, Pats are another team that Derry struggled against in the first round of fixtures, and might well beat them on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I think some Shles supporters are in denial, but the leauge is fairly certain to go to Cork, although i'd say Derry will be close behind all the way. Shels are playing for third spot with Bohs this season, and will be in Uefa cupo next season :(

(Although has to be said someone else deserves a shot at it since the disaster performance in Romania)

One terrible performance in 9 games in Europe does not mean someone else deserves our European place (provided we even get it).

DubGuy wrote:
    I think some Shles supporters are in denial, but the leauge is fairly certain to go to Cork, although i'd say Derry will be close behind all the way. Shels are playing for third spot with Bohs this season, and will be in Uefa cupo next season :(
    What Shels fans are in denial :confused:
    TBH, Shels are out of the race after last night.
    Einst&#252 wrote: »
    I'm hoping we can make a challenge for second
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Shels are definitely out of the running now
    seansouth wrote:
    our hopes for the title are certainly gone
    Bateman wrote:
    Shels are out of it at this stage, no doubt about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I wasn't really talking about anyone personally on here tbh :) But i was until the 3-3 draw. That was the nail in the coffin for me, but i'm sure there's plenty of people who still think we'll do it, after all, we have by far the best squad in the country, no doubt about it, but i can't see a good run of form being put together before the end of the season, and Cork are miles ahead the form team...they wont slip up :(
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    One terrible performance in 9 games in Europe does not mean someone else deserves our European place (provided we even get it).

Fair enough, but they'll deserve it anyway by winning the leauge.

^^^
    we have by far the best squad in the country, no doubt about it
    Neal Horgan can play left and right back. Greg O Halloran likewise. Should both of them be out be injured, Billy Woods has played in those 2 positions as well.

If one of the centre halves get injured, Derek Coughlan is there to step into the breach, as would Greg. There is also the option of recalling Shane Guthrie from loan at Kilkenny.

Left wing, there is the choice of Liam Kearney, Willie Bruton, Billy Woods and Roy O Donovan.

Right Wing choice of Willie Bruton, Billy Woods and Roy O Donovan, George O Callaghan.

Centre Mid: Joe Gamble, George, Colin O Brien, Greg O Halloran

upfront: John O Flynn, Neal Fenn, George O Callaghan, Roy O Donovan, Willie Bruton and Denis Behan.

I'd argue that Cork Citys squad is stonger than Shels'. See above!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I think Shels have the edge with the strikers since Doyle left for England.

They can bring in Gary O'Neill and Glen Fitzpatrick.

City have Denis Behan & Willie Bruton.

• Advertisement

Jason Byrne has been muck this season, and Crowe only ever seems to touch the ball with his back to goal. Gary O'Neil has been Shels best striker from what I've seen of him.

Definitely think Cork have a better strike-force at the minute, although that may be in some part due to Fenlons 'tactics'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Given Byrne has been 'muck' it's a credit to him that he as still, as far as I know, outscored any Cork player this season.

Byrne is the best striker out of the lot of them, as 21 league goals in his first season with Shels and 25 league goals in his second season with Shels would show.

Advertisement