Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky/DialUp Internet and Smart - anyone have any problems?

• 09-08-2005 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭

Ever since I've had my phoneline switched onto Smart for broadband, my sky digibox has been unable to get a connection with sky HQ. Basically, it dials out but the modem doesn't get any connection. This is bugging me now as the digibox has been trying to make a connection at least every hour since the weekend but has been unsuccseful. I thought my box had given up on me but when I tried the dialup internet on my PC, it often won't connect or if it does, it will but only for about a minute and then it will drop. This isn't much of a problem for me at the moment, but I was hoping to get multiroom with sky+, which does require the use of a phoneline.

I have a seperate splitter in place for the sky digibox but to no affect. Even if I disconnect all the phones / ADSL modem, it still doesn't help in the slightest.

Anyone else had similar problems with smart and sky digital?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

did smart change anything in your house?

if you plug in a phone at the sky socket do you get a dail tone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

No I haven't changed anything. Yes I do get a dial tone at the skybox socket. I tried plugging the box directly into the socket where the phoneline enters the house and it still does nothing.

afaik i know the sky box just uses a dialup modem to contact sky,
    can you dial up to the internet using 56k?

if not it could be a noise problem on the line since you moved to smart,
    if you can get a 56ker on line,
    the sky box modem might be damaged,
    any power surges / lightning recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

No sky box is grand, it still detects there is a phone line connected alright, but it just doesn't seem to be able to actually connect with the modems at sky's end. When you pick up the phone you can hear the modem screeching going on.

About the 56k - my PC modem does usually connect but it's not the best speeds and often the connection drops for no reason at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dodgy filter maybe ?

• Advertisement

might be a long shot,
    but do smart use a codec on voice lines to reduce traffic?

if so you wont be able to use a modem properly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

not a long shot at all, the calls are switched through smart exchanges not eircom ones .

they may multiplex voice channels at the unbundled exchange , PM to Garfield time I'd say.

Advertisement