Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Java Cgi

Options
  • 09-08-2005 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hello,
    not a programmer so forgive the basicness of my question.

Have a form in html.... just some radio buttons and checkboxes..

Now what to do i need to do in a Java programme (i;ve no experience of using Java for CGI) to pick this info up and print it to file.

Or do i even need the Java programme... is there a way to print to file from html?

Any suggestions or links are much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Why on earth do you need to use Java, of all things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 CaptainHilts

Its the only language i Know... would java script be easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭fatlog

if you are using java then you need to look at something like servlets or JSP. i think servlets is what you want. however you need a server running a servlet engine such as tomcat. most servers do not come with servlet engine as standard so you could be a bit stuck. if its just a test that you are doing then download apache tomcat and give it a whirl.

you could also try an applet but you'll run into plenty of issues using applets.

javascript won't be able to do what you want. its client side and i take it you want something server side. which means something like php or servlets etc...
    if the file is client side you will have security issues

my advice to you is to use PHP. theres a better chance you're server will supprt it than having a servlet engine. if you know a bit of java then you should be able to pick up PHP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

What you want could be done easily with a Java Servlet, but you'll need a server machine.

As fatlog pointed out, it's more likely that your host supports PHP, but check.
    If they can support a Java Servlet, then it's a fairly easy task to print a file from form data.

Advertisement