Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United vs Debreceni VSC (Contains scores)

• 09-08-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Well the game is tonight, really looking forward to seeing United back playing this season. They shouldnt have any problems with this team, they should have the tie sealed after the first leg tonight, especially because its at OT. I'd say Fergie will have the lads fired up to send out a message to the rest of the Premiership to show that we mean business this season. Should be a comfortable win tonight imo, how do the other United supporters see this one going?

Edit: If your posting scores could you please use spoiler tags

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Im really excited about this game tonight. i think we could make a really good start to the season. the squad looks very balanced and alot better than last year without alot of that dead wood we have been carrying.

Manchester United (from): Van der Sar, Howard, G Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, Pique, O'Shea, Heinze, Richardson, Keane, Scholes, Fletcher, Smith, Miller, Rooney, Ronaldo, Park, Van Nistelrooy, Rossi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Can't see anything else than a handy United win that will allow them to concentrate on the start of the Premiership campaign and will let them relax for the away leg.

However, this is football! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Debrecen are not an easy team.
    They are the toughest qualifying round team we've had so far.
    They demolished their last opponent 8-0, and are in the middle of their season.
    They have scored 18 goals in the league, and concedded one.
    Peak of their fitness levels.
    Not an easy match.

That said, after watching all the pre-season games, and subsequently cancelling my MUTV subscription(cost me only 4 euro in total to watch all the games) I expect a brace from Van Nist(These sort of defenses are where he thrives. Slightest mistake from them and he scores) and a goal from Ronaldo(who is much much better than last year. This guy has gotten faster and stronger if thats possible) to win the game.
    Scholes to be man of the match, utterly dominating and destroying like the Scholes of old.

3-0 with a scoreline that is more flattering than the actual match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭MooShop

Yeah i tend to agree with you on most of that PHB. I expect a tough game away from home and could have shone a different light on the tie if the away leg was first. The fact thats the first leg is at home, we should run out winners on a comfortable scoreline. Alot of our players will be out to prove a point i.e. Rio, Ruud, Scholes etc. I expect our team to give a strong performance and have a tight defence and dont think we'll concede (at home anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

will there be trouble there tonight? according to radio reports, a few idiots are planning marches outside, could ruin the game if they get their way. hopefully the majority of UTD supporters will just go and enjoy the game and support the team without causing trouble. this is a big game and we need little or no distractions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

can't take these guys too lightly - their results suggest they are a decent team. Hopefully Fergie will send out a full strength team and kill the tie tonight.

My Team
    VDS
    GN RF MS GH
    RK DF
    CR PS WR
    RVN

Good to see Rossi and Pique in the squad

Squad in full

Van der Sar, Howard, G Neville, Ferdinand, Silvestre, Pique, O'Shea, Heinze, Richardson, Keane, Scholes, Fletcher, Smith, Miller, Rooney, Ronaldo, Park, Van Nistelrooy, Rossi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

this is on BBC isnt it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

And RTÉ2. The second leg is on Five and RTÉ2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

will there be trouble there tonight? according to radio reports, a few idiots are planning marches outside, could ruin the game if they get their way. hopefully the majority of UTD supporters will just go and enjoy the game and support the team without causing trouble. this is a big game and we need little or no distractions

From Rednews.....
    Times on tonight
    Tuesday, August 9, 2005

'Ferguson’s plea for unity was also timely with the Malcolm Glazer era beginning in earnest tonight amid the threat of a 5,000-strong supporters’ protest directed at the American.

Greater Manchester Police are working on the assumption that one or more of the Florida-based family will be on hand.

Chief Superintendent Andy Holt, who spent several hours yesterday in talks with the club’s hierarchy about the control of the match, said: “A major police operation will be in place. We are aware a number of people will gather outside the ground. We will ensure that protest remains lawful. Violent behaviour will not be tolerated.”

Can't believe there'll be any crowd trouble with the amount of police that'll be there. If people want to march peacefully then it's their prerogative.

Heizne is unlikely to play, its more likely going to be O'Shea.
    But otherwise the team you posted is nearly definately what is going to be played.
    I think anyone who hasn't seen UNited play this year will be impressed with VDS's command over the defense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

cant wait for this match. I am very exceited about this new season for some odd reason. probably cause im doin the fantasy football. lol

So whats the predictions for the game??? i reckon something like 3-0 to United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Anyone know of any streaming links??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Game is on RTe2 .

kdjac

I wont be at home tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Man United 2-1 Debrechen , yee United fans are in for a nervy night :p .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

4-0 to United I think. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

hoping for most importantly the right result but also a big night for rvn. i think he is a fantastic player who has got a huge amount of stick over the summer. also looking ofrward to seeing van der sar and park if he plays.

I think we are in for a nervy game aswell, but I think we'll still win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

4-0.
    Rooney, Ruud (2) and Rio when Ruud scuffs a shot bounces up hits Rio in the backside and trickles over the line. :D

• Advertisement

Great goal roon. Come on you reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

1-0 ... rooney strikes again. Still dont understand all the praise they give him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

7 min. 1-0 United. Terrible defending from Debrecen to gift Rooney the ball just inside the 18 yard box. Hit first time along the ground to bottom left hand corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

joe. wrote:
    Terrible defending

It wasn't really, they got unlucky. One defender cleared the ball of Van Nistelrooy's feet, only to have it bounce off one of his other defenders back leg, hardly what one would call terrible defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

FFS what's up with Keane - is he trying to get sent off

Seven Worlds will Collide

theyre sucking tbh. I wanna see Park out on the pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mark lawerence's ****e little one liners are really pissing me off.

both of them piss me off. irish commentary in general is terrible,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Dodgy decision for their "goal" just there? Not much in the challenge...

• Advertisement

Vintage Ruud, Come on You Reds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Dodgy decision for their "goal" just there? Not much in the challenge...

Gary neville at his best . :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

well thats 3

ronaldo

Great goal by ronnie.

not the best from United tbh. for a side that poor as opposition I expected a few more chances. I was hoping Park would play more than he did.

I have to admit I liked what I saw from park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Game over 3-0, Debrecen were woeful. Ive never seen a team give a ball away so cheaply, and not in Shels fashion from last week where they punted it up field, these lads were content to give it away 30-40 yards from goal. Pinball defending as George Hamilton put it.

United put in a decent performance without really shining apart from Rooney who was totally outstanding. You can only beat what is in front of you and they did that and now have the tie wrapped up.

Another plus I thought was Park who looked reasonably lively when he came on, a lot of running done. He will definitely be a useful player at times this year. Van Nistelrooy got a great goal which is another plus but to be honest didnt look that sharp overall to me.

Anyway, job done.

Its great to see ruud get a goal equals more and more confidence.

Nice 3-0 win, got the score right, not the scorers.
    Rooney played masterfully tonight, 2 assist and a goal.
    Ruud also played great.
    He created one great chance for Ronaldo by holding up the ball, played a great pass to Rooney who inturn set up Ronaldo, jumped over rooney's shot to allow it to go in, scored in the first chance he got, although offside, and of course, scored :)
    Disappointed with Scholes today tbh :/ Not looking hugely sharp.

---

Neville was nudged, and I doubt it woulda been a foul in the premiership, but its europe and its technically a foul.

---

Either way, I'm happy.
    Should breeze to victory over in Hungary

Ruud was poor. he cant run with the ball. he doesnt have much skill. he can just shoot

ronaldo was walking all over them. and if park got the chances Id say he wouldve shown a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

im not getting carried away with this it was a good result and a decent performance against what was ver poor opposition.

however....

rooney looked great. ronaldo same as usual, end product still lacking. park looked promising in that he had nice touches and looked very energetic. ruud got the goal he needed despite looking a bit rusty. scholes at times oozed class he was missing last season. van der sar had little or nothing to do, however when he was required to do his job he done it in a decisive manner.

looking back to last season the main problem was not putting lesser teams away which we done tonight. its still no real picture as to what will happen this season but a pleasing start none the less.

phb, you were right about rossi, didnt feature much but looked composed on the ball and eager to recieve too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I think ruud looked decent enough.
    His hold up play was top notch and attacking wasnt half bad either, still needs a bit more confidence and match sharpness but that will come.

Park i liked the look of, but their defence in all sorts of trouble a few times with VDS not having much to do.

That disallowed goal seemed very very harsh. Lucky break. That said i still think manu woulda won and deservd it.

All together im quite pleased with the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Ronaldo looks to have built himself up a lot from last season, he looked a lot stronger physically to me.

Park made a decent start, he was very keen and his seems to be fairly quick.

I was impressed by Rossi in the few minutes he had, he never stopped running from the second he came on and his control of the ball was excellent, even when under pressure from the opposition.

I also thought Ronaldo looks alot stronger physically seems to have bulked up his upper body. He was class as always, unlucky not to score in the first half. He draws free kicks and adds pace and flair to every move he's involved in.

Ruud played very well, i was very impressed with him. Of course he's not going to be that sharp and a bit rusty, thats cos he missed a good bit of last season but a few more performances like that and he'll be back to himself in no time. I thought he held the ball up masterfully and this showed especially setting up the move for Ronaldo's effort that the keeper pulled off a great save for.

Was impressed with Park when he came on, very energetic as is what i expected from him. made some good runs, always looking to get involved in moves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

MooShop wrote:
    I also thought Ronaldo looks alot stronger physically seems to have bulked up his upper body. He was class as always, unlucky not to score in the first half. He draws free kicks and adds pace and flair to every move he's involved in.

Was actually talking about this to the lads when I was watching the game, he seems to have beefed up a fair bit since end of last season! his upper body looks alot stronger! think Fergie is starting to work his magic on him....

Was a bit of a boring game but I think it was just a troll in the park for Utd so they didnt really take it all that serious! wonder wat the story was with Keane? he made about 2-3 bad fouls after getting booked and was lucky to be on the pitch to get subbed!!!

van Nist, Ronaldo and Rooney all had good game and I think they are starting to get used to that partnership.....Park looked good when he came on but was trying a little bit 2 hard to score on his debut! on one chance Rossi was standing look at him on the left and was free and he ran head first into 3 players and lost the ball......but apart from that showned what he did last season! is very energetic and can tackle back

Everyone else where just ok! this was prob becasue of the opposition......nobody stood out! VDS had little to do! defence had nothing really! Josh hadnt the best of games! a few times he had ball and just fired to up toward Van and gave away the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

i was happy with the performance. great to see our 3 forwards getting goals, means that the system is starting to work. ronnie and rooney were a different class - really, really impressive. I thought keano was good, his passing was incisive and practical. silvestre was the best ive see him in a long time. as for rio, he just showed he is very talented again, never really pressured. scholes was in and out of the game but did more good than average. smithy did well when he was brought on to play holding midfield and park looked full of energy and skill - a good prospect me thinks. He is alot better than the standard of reserve we have had in the past 2 years anyway. Van der Saar look confident and assured.

Overall, a good solid start to the season! Now, lets keep it going. LETS BE AVIN' YOU!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

happy enough with the result, cant complain, put out a full team in the away leg just to be sure of no slip ups

positives -

* - rooney and ronaldo seem to be willing to take over the role of leaders this season
    * - rooney also seems to be maturing into something really special, he was tracking back all over the field, was everywhere really, involved in all 3 goals, i think if he gets no injuries this season, he will walk pfa player of the year
    * - van nist scoring in his first competitive game, here is hoping for more
    * - a clean sheet
    * - park look good, good the lad has speed, the fastest player in the premiership maybe?
    * - a crowd of over 51000 with all the talk that the place would be empty

negatives -

* - atmosphere seemed muted a bit
    * - scholes was poor
    * - keane could have been send off for persisting fouling
    * - fletcher wasnt great
    * - gary neville acting the clown for the disallowed goal, another ref might not have given it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I was happy with the overall performance and result. Definately excited about the relationship between Rooney and Ronaldo, they absolutely ran riot tonight, ran the show for the whole match. I was happy with Van Nistelrooy; some people have said that he can't run that well, but he was never exactly Henry when it came to pace anyway....besides, it's still pre-season. He started the move for that great Ronaldo chance in the first half with some great control on the wing; I still think his hold-up play is second to none. He fed the ball for Rooney to set up Ronaldo, plus his own goal was vintage Ruud.
    I heard some criticism of Park during the pre-season friendlies, but he seemed very bright to me when he came on. Rossi also looked completely comfortable on the ball, didn't look at all out of place.
    Nice boost before the season.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Job done, impressive enough against cat poor opposition.

Rooney, Ronaldo and Rudd looked good and Park was impressive with his energetic burst.
    Good to see Rossi get a run. Rio was ok, thought Scholes was quite enough.

G Nev was lucky enough, as said if it was a PL game he may not have got a free, fabulous finish by the striker though

Advertisement