Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Putting a car in storage

Options
  • 09-08-2005 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

I'll be going back to college soon and hence can't afford car insurance. Instead of selling the car, I might put it into storage for a year. Might possibly have to put it into a shed. It'll be covered but might not be protected against the damp. Has anyone got tips on what I'd need to do to make sure it remains in peak condition? Its a 96 Punto, if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

MAke sure you've plenty of anti-freeze so that the radiator doesn't burst during the Winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

Make sure the tank is filled with petrol.

If you value the tyres, put the car up on jackstands and remove the wheels.

However, rather than covering it and not using it at all, you'd be well advised to simply start it and, ideally, drive it a little every month or so. Tricky to do if it's not insured, I realise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah start her up as frequently as you can to keep her ticking over.
    (Mind you make sure there's ventilation if the car is still in the shed!)
    And move her any distance you can within the restraints of being non-insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

This should be no problem. As well as the tips already given, leave the handbrake off and give the car a very good wash and wax and then a good drive on a dry road (to dry everything out) before storing. It might be an idea to disengage the clutch eg by wedging a bar between the pedal and the seat. Not sure about this though, might cause more harm than good so do some research on it.

The battery will be flat by the time you take the car out of storage. I would take out the battery altogether and put it in a charger every couple of weeks as AFAIK it doesn't do a battery any good to sit around fully discharged. Then when you're ready to start the car again put the battery back in.

If you decide to start/drive the car occasionally make sure that you get it fully warmed up, don't just start it for a minute and then switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lots of good advice from the lads, but:
    cornbb wrote:
    Its a 96 Punto, if that makes any difference.

Is it really worth all the hassle? You might sell up now and buy another one next year. I dunno about the condition of your car, but the typical value might be in and around the €1k mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

one of these might be worth your while http://tinyurl.com/cs4cq
    a solar powered battery charger !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

you'd swear it was a E-Type jaguar ! just abandon it in tallaght or give it to some young fellas for hooring around the fields willya.
    pift.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

unkel wrote:
    Is it really worth all the hassle? You might sell up now and buy another one next year. I dunno about the condition of your car, but the typical value might be in and around the €1k mark

I just put lots of cash into it to pass the NCT which I wouldn't get back. Its in VGC for a 96 Punto. If I sell it now I'll just spend the cash and be back at square one looking for another crappy car when I finish college, and I suspect I'll be pretty broke then.
    528i wrote:
    you'd swear it was a E-Type jaguar ! just abandon it in tallaght or give it to some young fellas for hooring around the fields willya.
    pift.

What would be the point in that?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Advertisement