Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eazypass Monthly Service Charge - stupid

• 09-08-2005 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I can't understand why they have a monthly EUR1.21 service charge on the Eazypass toll card. It's a worse scam than the toll itself and it should go!

I suppose it's not noticed if you go through the toll every day, but for those of us who might only use it once a month or so would end up spending as much on service charge than tolls. I'd love to have one and zip through the express lane, but I'm not going to effectively pay double for my toll charges. I don't mind loading it up with the 40 euros so long as it wouldn't waste itself through non-use.

They say it's for administration and replacement of lost cards but surely NTR save more money on staff by having it automatic and the extra throughput would make it worth giving free passes to anyone who requests one. If a card is stolen surely it can be cancelled electronically or the credit transferred to a new pass, so there'd be no loss of money in the system.

I do go across the Liffey on a fairly regular basis but usually use the bridge in Lucan as it makes little difference for where I want to get to and I regard myself as too stingy to use the toll unless in a hurry. Of course, if I had a prepaid Eazypass, NTR would probably make more money from me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

What he said. I own an Eazypass, but only because my car is LHD and a regular tool lane would be a major PITH. My low usage makes the thing very bad value, but it's a quality of life issue.

Dermot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Because they are theiving, scum who have us over a barrel and know it?*

* Rhetorical question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

jlang wrote:
    I can't understand why they have a monthly EUR1.21 service charge on the Eazypass toll card. It's a worse scam than the toll itself and it should go!

They say it's for administration and replacement of lost cards but surely NTR save more money on staff by having it automatic and the extra throughput would make it worth giving free passes to anyone who requests one. If a card is stolen surely it can be cancelled electronically or the credit transferred to a new pass, so there'd be no loss of money in the system.

I have one even though I only cross either the West-link/ east-Link or M1 toll bridge about twice a month at best! You may ask why the hell would I "rent" an easypass, it's down to pure convenience.
    I think nothing of spending almost €50 a night on a few half litre glasses of Erdinger, so why would I mind wasting a miserly amount such as €1.21 a MONTH for an easypass. Does that even buy a small bottle of coke nowadays?

By the way, when I lost my easypass, I was charged €15 for a replacement!

I do believe that people who use the Easypass should be given cheaper passage each time, it may then encourage more people to use it, but there could be some law saying that would be some type of discrimination (I wouldn't be surprised in this country!)

I hate the way unlike in Italy, you must be almost up close to the barrier before it reads your reg plate, which means in many cases having to go down to 2nd gear when going through the toll bridge which is so frustrating!

Also, the easy pass lane should stretch back as far as the N7 junction, with an entrance between the bollards for those coming off the N4 junction also. As regards the other users who prefer to use coins and slow everything up, leave them in the overcrowded one remaining lane! You'd be surprised how many more would switch over to easypass then!

Advertisement