Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Discount for Cash Buyer?

Options
  • 09-08-2005 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Going to take a look at a new Passat in a dealership this afternoon. I won't be trading in. What I want to know is are dealers stilll expected to discount the price for cash buyers? If so how much should I go for in haggling? The car is listed at 28k. Would 10% be unrealistic? Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

it depends on what extras you will be adding, if no extras .. expect about 5% max !!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I got 800 knocked of a car with a price of €5800 paying with cash. That's 13.8% - not too bad, though I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to knock that much off a new car going for a lot more money.10% of 5800 is after all a hell of a lot less than 10% of 30 grand.

During the 6 month warranty I came back to them 3 times though, once for a whole new exhaust :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jildy

Shamrock,

Let us all know how you get on with the discount.

Jildy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Your best bet is to decide exactly the spec you want and ring as many VW dealers as you can. Al Hayes in portumna is supposed to be the man to go to for new VW's but not for used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

An Audi dealer offered me about 2100 off a 40k A4 as a cash discount about a year ago, which is just over 5%, so I'd imagine you'll be disappointed if you're holding out for 10%.

Though dealers aren't exactly pushed for custom at the moment, your best bet is to do as alias#9 says and ring around with your spec, mentioning that you'll be paying cash, and see what each response it. Just don't expect them to ring you back, that would be asking way too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It depends. VWs are popular and often when a new model is introduced there will be a waiting list. If this is the case dealers will have no problems selling cars at full list price or close to list price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Thanks everyone. I might take the phone advice. It makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    It depends. VWs are popular and often when a new model is introduced there will be a waiting list. If this is the case dealers will have no problems selling cars at full list price or close to list price.

This is it. As the Passat was only recently introduced, I have no idea how big demand is. If demand is strong, forget about much discount. Some cars are even worth more second hand than brand new list price :eek:

In general for a family saloon, I would aim for 10% discount on a cash deal with no or little extras and more than 10% when options are specified. This is for lower margin cars (i.e. Skoda range). I'd aim for something like 20% or more for higher margin cars
    Shamrok wrote:
    Thanks everyone. I might take the phone advice. It makes more sense.

The phone will not get you a good deal. Key elements of maximising your discount:

1. Be confident and realistic
    2. Know your stuff about demand, sales, prices about the car you intend to buy. Trends in sales for the model and how it has been faring compared to competition
    3. Make absolutely sure the salesperson is convinced that you are very very interested in the car and willing to do the deal there and then. Cash in hand or bankdraft
    4. Pick your moment. Avoid Saturdays, aim for weekdays when it is quiet and especially near month end or even better, quarter end (targets - bonusses for dealers are hugely important)

These are only a few major points. When privately buying, psychology comes in to play too

I like this game. I consider it a sport. I sometimes buy (new or second hand) for other people as well, even though there would be nothing in it for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Shamrok wrote:
    Going to take a look at a new Passat in a dealership this afternoon. I won't be trading in. What I want to know is are dealers stilll expected to discount the price for cash buyers? If so how much should I go for in haggling? The car is listed at 28k. Would 10% be unrealistic? Any help appreciated.

I think the best you could hope for off a €28k car is around €2k for a cash deal. Best thing to do is start paying these guys a visit rather than using the phone as they get calls like this from time wasters all week long.

Also at this time of the year new car sales have slows considerably due to there only being a few months left in the year. Actually a new model launch at this time of the year might work to your advantage as dealers have a sales target to meet set by the manufacturer and it may be more difficult to meet this in August than it is in Jan or Feb. Even if there is a waiting list a cash customer can be pushed to the top as a cash sale to a salesman is better than a trade-in. You could end up with someone elses order, they are simply told a bs story that there is a delay in the factory and they will have to wait another month or so. It happens all the time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Sorry for jumping in but for a motor of about 9k what would I expect to get to take it off their hands, heading to the UK to look at cars in this price range, so if they are advertised for say 9 or 10k what could I expect to get off

• Advertisement
Advertisement