Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Telecom

• 09-08-2005 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

Further delays ?

Eircom court battle hit Smart shares
    THE sharp fall in Smart Telecom's share price over the past two weeks is directly attributable to Eircom's recent High Court win against Comreg, according to Jack Gorman, telecoms analyst with Davy Stockbrokers.
    According to Mr Gorman, although the recent failure to acquire mobile company Meteor was not good news for Smart Telecom, it had been anticipated, while Eircom's High Court win was a significant and unanticipated setback.
    Shares in Smart Telecom, which were trading at 37p last month, had fallen to 20p by the close of business yesterday, knocking €34m off the value of the company.
    Less than two weeks ago, Eircom won a High Court case against Comreg which effectively stymies the regulator's efforts to force Eircom to open the 'last mile' of its network to competitors.
    Gorman said: "Basically, this means it will be the back end of this year at least before Smart is able to transfer its broadband customers easily.
    "This is a major issue for Smart which must get customers, not just signed up, but connected.
    "This is why we have seen a sharp drop in their share price over a time when the sector generally has been pretty flat."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Damnit...I knew eircoms crap would cause Smart to go bust!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

they arent bust yet, and i hope they dont get hurt by anymore of eircoms stupid tactics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

could this cause Smarttelecom to drop their prices?,or do you think it will have the opposit effect and cause the prices to go up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Theres no way in hell they will increase their prices as they probable dont yet even have 1000 BB customers.

Decreasing their prices is also slim as it would serve no purpose as the interest in their product is already high......but its the setting up of potential customers connections which is causing problems...LLU et all!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

I wonder could Garfield comment on how this news effects their roll out plan?
    I'm just today finishing off my UTV broadband trial.
    I had hoped that Smart would be up and running in Mervue, Galway, by this time.
    If Smart can't get up and running soon, I'll have no choice but to go with BT.
    I'm sure there are plenty more in my boat also...

Pat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

This from Eircom.net (actual article supplid by ireland.com)!!

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/biznews/6029709?view=Eircomnet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Eldarin

patch wrote:
    I wonder could Garfield comment on how this news effects their roll out plan?
    I'm just today finishing off my UTV broadband trial.
    I had hoped that Smart would be up and running in Mervue, Galway, by this time.
    If Smart can't get up and running soon, I'll have no choice but to go with BT.
    I'm sure there are plenty more in my boat also...

Pat.

Did you know that NTL Broadband is available in Galway now. Mate of mine is living in Gortcam in Galway and He has it there. Despite NTL's usually Crappy service their broadband is normally very reliable.

Check them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭patch

Eldarin wrote:
    Did you know that NTL Broadband is available in Galway now. Mate of mine is living in Gortcam in Galway and He has it there. Despite NTL's usually Crappy service their broadband is normally very reliable.

Check them out.

Yeah, it seems though that I can't get NTL till after the summer at the earliest. Thanks though! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

While driving through Phibsborogh this morning I noticed a Smart Telecom, Phone booth (outside Phibsborogh Centre) with 'Smart Telecom Broadband' Advertising Stickers, saying that it was 'Available Now in your Area'.

I'm on the Phibsborogh Exchange and I've been waiting for it since February (originally due March/April).

The Smart Telecom website says that it will be available in the Near Future, its being saying this since June.

I've been told some time later this year by Garfield, who blamed the delay on Civils (Digging holes and laying fibre)....

I'm not too annoyed about this as I have the next best thing, BT Broadband but if I was sufficiently annoyed I'd complain them to the ASAI (Advertising Standards Authority) for claiming something that isn't actually true... 'Available Now in your Area'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Would this be a good time to buy shares in smart telecom while they are sooooo cheap........

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 RazorSharp

I signed up to Smart in march , was on Netsource at the time , came to around June when I got a call from Smart saying they were ready to process the order.Im on the coolock exchange.

I told them I would be cut off from netsource on the 11th of July , so things picked back up around then , was on Access Telecom for the phone calls, cancelled that and went back to Eircom for the phone (as per smart instructions) Gave them the account number , was told id have my modem in 12 days , waited about 10 days and rang them and they told me eircom rejected the order , didnt get a reason , Smart said the account number may be wrong , It wasnt & I got them to try again (fairly pissed off at this point that they didnt ring me to say that it was rejected in the first place!!) :mad:
    I was again told it was rejected , this time they said to ring Eircom as there was a DSL signal still on the line from the old ISP which was why the order was being rejected again and again.

So I call Eircom and I get some aul one asking me do I want a line test done , I kept saying no , she wasnt too pleased , hadnt a clue what I was asking her , I got put on hold , a min later she came back and said the line was clear ! Great I thought, called smart and said go for it, the line is clear ! Smart then said you will have your modem in 12 days (this was last tuesday)

On thursday I get a call from Smart saying it was rejected again !!!!! This time they said to get onto Netsource and ask have they requested for their dsl signal to be removed from the line. So I emailed them and 10 minutes later they phoned me (well chuffed with their quick response !) They said they had sent out a bunch of cancelation orders to Eircom the week I was cut off and Eircom hadnt done them yet , he said they should be done within the next 7 days at worst , Relayed that to Smart and they said to ring when it was done and they will get the order through.

So its already been over a month for me , its killing me , Im paying for 56 gay and using my mates Ripwave modem which barely works and gives about 2kb when it is working.
    Ad to this the 7 days for the signal to be taking off + another 12 days im guessing for the modem to get out , theres a while to go yet. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

This is the sort of thing Eircom are loving. The more difficult they make it , the less people are going to bother..I waited from febuary till july for Smart & then I gave up..Signed up with BT who were able to switch calls to them & have BB up & running in just over a week..Smarts product is the best on the market, but even though it is now available in my exchange ther is no way I will go trough the crap of cancelling BT,reconnecting to Eircom & then cancelling Eircom to connect to Smart. It is a crazy situation & one which the competition authority should be getting sorted..

Advertisement