Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music lessons for youngsters

Options
  • 09-08-2005 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

I was reading the thread about intelligence improving stuff and saw a post about sending your child for music lessons.
    My daughter is four and a half and I would love her to learn the piano (strong family history).
    Would anyone know of a good place that caters more towards young children?
    I am based in Dublin 15.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The place I mentioned is very good. The website is www.lpsm.ie

They have a full program that starts with music kindergarden and them moves onto instrumental lessons with musicianship. It may not be what you are looking for but you should check it out, it is very very good.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

It certainly looks like a good place, right ethos etc., but I think Rathmines would be a bit far to go. I will certainly check it out further thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jesus Trash Can

I was reading the thread about intelligence improving stuff and saw a post about sending your child for music lessons.
    My daughter is four and a half and I would love her to learn the piano (strong family history).
    Would anyone know of a good place that caters more towards young children?
    I am based in Dublin 15.

Are you sure that she is ready? It can be enough to put kids off playing music for ever if they don't take to it when they are young. I'm not preaching to you, but some parents project themselves onto their children and end up frustrated when it doesn't go to plan. (Please don't take that the wrong way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No 4 to 5 is a good age.
    It will teach consentration and sitting still focus and
    dexteriy and buildup muscles which are used for writing.

As long as it is fun she will enjoy it.

Are you sure that she is ready? It can be enough to put kids off playing music for ever if they don't take to it when they are young. I'm not preaching to you, but some parents project themselves onto their children and end up frustrated when it doesn't go to plan. (Please don't take that the wrong way).

No, I don't take it the wrong way. She loves the piano. My father is heavily involved in music (church choirmaster etc) and I love the piano too, so she sees us playing it all the time, and every week in his house she bashes away at it delighted with herself. I think she has a musical ear, and a willingness to learn, so I don't see the problem with getting lessons for her. I would, however, be conscious of getting someone specially geared towards teaching children as I think the rigidity of a piano teacher for older children would take the fun out of learning and turn her off altogether. All I need now is to find somewhere nearer to me than Rathmines!

• Advertisement

For me this is one of the hardest parts of being a parent. I want my children to have the best chance possible to do well in life, to this end I will try to give them as many oportunities as I can. The thing is though, am I doing it for them or am I doing it becuase I couldn't?

We had quite a few disscussions with Seraphine, my daughter, to see if she really wanted to play piano. I wanted to be sure she wanted to do it. I did not want to force her to do something she did not want to do. I also did not want to buy a piano and pay for lessons she did not want.

In the end it became clear that she really did want to do it. As the first year came to a close we had more discussions to see if se wanted to continue. She really likes her teacher and loves the feeling she gets when a difficult piece she has been trying to play suddenly just clicks. For that alone it is worth the money.

Holly, it's a shame you can't make it to LPSM. I think they are the only place in Dublin following that particular method of teaching. It is a bit of a hassle for us, we live out in Cabinteely so the trek in twice a week is a pain.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Jesus Trash Can

We had quite a few disscussions with Seraphine, my daughter, to see if she really wanted to play piano. I wanted to be sure she wanted to do it. I did not want to force her to do something she did not want to do. I also did not want to buy a piano and pay for lessons she did not want.

MrP[/QUOTE]
    These are big big choices and I'd have to say that if I didn't play the piano myself and already have a piano, I wouldn't of sent my youngest to lessons.
    I don't know if she will see it through but seeing other people around her play and getting lots of encouragement and praise definately helps her.

Are the classes on twice a week? I might be able to make Saturday morning, but anything else would be impossible, as we both work full time and she is starting school next month.

Are the classes on twice a week? I might be able to make Saturday morning, but anything else would be impossible, as we both work full time and she is starting school next month.
    Yeah, there is the actual instrumental class but there is also a musicianship class which is compulsory for 5 years. The musicianship is an extension of the music kindergarden and teaches aspects of music aside from the actual playing.

It is fairly tough for us, we have the musicianship class scheduled for as late as possible and then I finish work a little early that day to get her there. She really enjoys the classes, there is loads of singing and dancing and stuff like that.

MrP

That's a shame... I would never make it during the week. I work in Ballsbridge, my daughters creche is in Blanchardstown, and then I'd have to get to Rathmines! Doesn't even bear thinking about that journey!

It sounds like a great place, ideal for what I wanted. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Holly you mentioned you are in D15 area.
    Have you tought of looking at the notice board in the library
    and those in the local supermarkets and community centres ?
    or try asking in waltons

Yes word of mouth is preferible but get a name and number would be a start.

or ring and ask if the royal irish accademy has people out this way.
    http://www.riam.ie/about_us/contact_us.htm

or try here

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano_teachers/dublin.html

Thaed wrote:
    Holly you mentioned you are in D15 area.
    Have you tought of looking at the notice board in the library
    and those in the local supermarkets and community centres ?
    or try asking in waltons

Yes word of mouth is preferible but get a name and number would be a start.

or ring and ask if the royal irish accademy has people out this way.
    http://www.riam.ie/about_us/contact_us.htm

or try here

http://www.uk-piano.org/piano_teachers/dublin.html

Thanks for the advice Thaed. I have mailed the Academy and I will have a look in the library etc.

Advertisement