Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xfire

Options
  • 09-08-2005 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I was reading an article on GameGuru this morning and it has quoted that Xfire reduces your FPS! however it did not state why ! as you've all probably noted I'm an FPS junky and try to get best out of y GFX, is this true and if so how does Xfire restrict your FPS?

D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

sounds like bollocks to me. Ive been using xfire since vietnam, never noticed any performance hit, it only uses lik 2000k of memory, if it reduced fps, id say itd reduce by 1 or so, something you wouldnt even notice. Occasionally when i get a message ingame, itll make it stutter for a second but even thats rare

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Well i must admit that with BF2 it used to reduce my fps by 20-30 frames.
    Since i done a reformat i dont notice any difference with it on or off.
    Having said that im very cagey bout xfire,i have heard of visuses via xfire but im cant be sure.
    I still prefer Teamspeak as my online communication and finding with friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Dcully wrote:
    Well i must admit that with BF2 it used to reduce my fps by 20-30 frames.
    Since i done a reformat i dont notice any difference with it on or off.
    Having said that im very cagey bout xfire,i have heard of visuses via xfire but im cant be sure.
    I still prefer Teamspeak as my online communication and finding with friends.

Was it when you connected to a server using Xfire or when it was running at the same time ?

I've 2gb of RAM so this should not make a difference with Xfire runnning as it only takes up a few mb of space

Was when running at same time,as i say though, since reformat all is well and i can use it no prob at all with no fps loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

i see no difference
    only when chatting in game and at that point i really dont give a fup about fps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I ve never seen any problems with it alll either. Im sure all the back ground process running on anyone`s pc conmined might add to to some thing but thats why all outs CPU`s are over kill. Well almost all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No difference here either.

My problem seem to coincide with a trojan horse that i picked up so i put it down to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Check the files tab. Sometimes it might download updates. If go into prefrences & just disable it for when playin & only have it downloadin when afk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Berns wrote:
    Check the files tab. Sometimes it might download updates. If go into prefrences & just disable it for when playin & only have it downloadin when afk

excatly, This happened to me on a few occassions. i.e it dpwmloaded bf2 demo for some reason and my system was as slow as ****e but other than that ive been using it since BFV and never has a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Actually, compared with some other communications protocols, xfire rapes your resources.
    IRC for example uses mere kilobytes of memory, mere kHz's of processor cycles and usually less than 1Kb/sec of your bandwidth.
    Xfire OTOH uses a fair bit of CPU time.

But then again, most peoples computers can handle a few extra megs of stuff in the background.
    **edit: damn. I just checked and It is currently using 12 megs of RAM.
    Mabye it depends on how many people you have added to your friends list.
    woahsh1t7nu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭[AK47][JONNYNEW

test

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Did ya pass then?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

never noticed if it made a diff, only the dowload thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

test

wtf ;-)

Advertisement