Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downgrading from Contract to Pre-Paid O2?

• 09-08-2005 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭

Hey, I just changed over to 3 yesterday, and since I don't think I want to port over my O2 086 number, what I want to do is just change my O2 contract from post-paid to pre-paid so I can keep my 086 number on the side, while using my 083 number as my main one.

So, before I call up O2 customer service, I was just wondering if it's relatively simple to just ask them to cancel the contract and give you the same number on speakeasy?

I've had the contract for 6 years so it's not like I'm cancelling before my year contract is up or anything. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

TCamen wrote:

So, before I call up O2 customer service, I was just wondering if it's relatively simple to just ask them to cancel the contract and give you the same number on speakeasy?

I wanted to do something similar. They said I had to fill out a form to request the change. Still havnet revieced the form after 2 weeks waiting!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Doesn't surprise me at all that the form isn't available on the website :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I would've thought you could do it over the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Yep, ring up and request the form, if it doesnt come, ring upand request it again. That's it really.
    You can never do anything like that over the phone. They want to make it difficult for you!

Hey I'm not sure I explained myself properly, but I called O2 and what they're doing for me is sending me out a speakeasy SIM with my 086 contract number on it, and when I get that (hopefully before the w/e) I just have to call them and they'll cancel the contract and activate my speakeasy account immediately.

I don't know if the form you requested is for porting your number to another network maybe? Basically it seems to be simple enough to do what I wanted anyway - keep my number and switch to pre-paid :)

The customer service people were all very nice too!

• Advertisement

I asked to go from bill pay to speakeasy.

They said they would send me out a form for which I would have to fill out and return. When all was checked I'd be switched over. Didnt mention getting a new sim card or anything.

Very odd -- they were only too happy to send me out a new SIM card (good thing cos my 6-year old one is falling apart). As far as I know, you need a new SIM to be on speakeasy.

I'd call them back and ask again -- you might get the same nice ppl I dealt with! They understood exactly what I wanted and made it very simple, I didn't have to explain much past "I want to cancel my contract and take my number to speakeasy".

I'm not sure if you can go into an O2 store and get a speakeasy SIM with your number on it right then and there, but on the phone they promised me they'd send the SIM directly from O2 tomorrow morning, and I should have it by Friday and have my speakeasy all set up immediately, and once I call them back, my contract is cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

TCamen wrote:
    I'm not sure if you can go into an O2 store and get a speakeasy SIM with your number on it right then and there, .......

I went into my local o2 store with my old contract & they did the switch there & then for me - gave me a new sim programmed with my old number

I went into my local o2 store with my old contract & they did the switch there & then for me - gave me a new sim programmed with my old number

Damn, could've done that instead. Ah well, probably just as easy to wait for the one in the post now -- not like I'll be using the account in the next few days, so outstanding charges will be the same.

Advertisement