Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is bad lag? Definition

Options
  • 09-08-2005 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Just to confirm...

I dont know if its cause I have my video settings too high or if its because Ironforge is just a spamfest but when I am there my screen jumps around everywhere. Is this lag?

The reason I ask is that when a person says stuff like /1 Laaaag
    THe only effect I see is that loot windows take a while to open or a hit takes a while to register. My running and jumping etc is still smooth and normal. I assumed that was lag until I reached other areas with high detail. Its only in IronForge and that new Darkmoon Faire thing that my screen goes truly jumpy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

When people complain of 'lag' it can be a number of different things:

On the client-side it can be caused by:

1. Their computer isn't very powerful and slows down when trying to draw a large number of complex models on-screen at once, like when you look at 50 characters milling around the bank in Ironforge.

2. Their internet connection isn't very good so that it takes a long time for all of the information needed to draw other characters around to be downloaded, this can also happen most often in places like Ironforge - where there are a lot of character details to download before they are displayed.

The difference between this type of lag and type (1) is that once all the other characters are loaded, the lag because much les noticeable. Type (1) lag remains noticeable for as long as you are near a large number of other characters.

On the server-side it can be caused by:

3. The server can be under strain, due to a larger than normal number of users, or due to some sort of bug/issue introduced during a recent patch. This can be noticed anywhere, but again is more noticable in parts of the world where a lot of action is happening (such as the big PVP fights that used to occur between Tarren Mill and Southshore before the Battlegrounds were introduced).

With this type of lag, abilities such as spells take a much longer time than normal to cast and updates to other character positions can take a long time to download from the server, causing other characters to appear to run off in straight lines or warp around the place.

4. The back-end database system for the server may be under strain. No-one but Blizzard knows for sure how the servers are structured, but it appears likely that the database servers where character data is stored are separate and can at times cause problems even when the world server is fine.

If this is happening you will notice actions that require database access (mail, auction house, moving/selling items etc.) will be very slow but other actions like fighting a mob will be working normally.

Sometimes a specific type of lag is to blame for difficulties you are facing, but most of the time it is a combination of some or all of these. This makes it quite difficult at times to know what the problem is and what you can do (if anything) to resolve or minimise it.

So just type "/1 OMG LAAAAG!" and continue playing. :)

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Holy **** that was comprehensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭[Core]

Jesus alan, do you do anything in america other than post on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Clearly no :(

Actually, I'm going to a baseball game today :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭[Core]

Enjoy!

• Advertisement
Advertisement