Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protest aginst Iranian Executions

Options
  • 09-08-2005 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭

Protest against Torture and Execution of Children in Iran (August 11, Blackrock, Co. Dublin)

Torture and Execution of Children is Child Abuse

Protest at Iranian Embassy on Thursday 11th August
    6:30pm to 8pm

Assemble 6:15pm at Blackrock DART Station

(Embassy located at 72 Mount Merrion Avenue, Blackrock)

Express your outrage at the execution of minors Mahmoud A. and Ayaz M.

Both boys spent the last 14 months of their lives in police custody where they each received 228 lashes prior to being hung to death on 19th July 2005.

The hanging of these 2 young boys in Iran should be of particular relevance to the LGBT community because the gay population continues to face the death penalty simply because of their sexual orientation.

Ban the Death Penalty in Iran.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Stall the beans!

Is this a protest over:
    a) executing people for crimes committed when they were U18
    b) executing them because they are gay
    c) the fact that Iran has Capital Punishment and enforces the death penalty
    d) something else which i am sure you will enlighten me on

The last line in the above statement "Ban the Death Penalty" confuses me as to what exactly it is that this protest is for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Johnnymcg wrote:
    Protest against Torture and Execution of Children in Iran (August 11, Blackrock, Co. Dublin)

Maybe that's it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

damien.m wrote:
    Maybe that's it?

Last line is "Ban the Death Penalty in Iran". I just want clarification on which it is.

The execution of the two boys broke international law and i would support a protest against iran in that instance. But please dont let it become over run with "Ban the death penalty" rheotric. Comity of Nations entitles every country to have its own laws as long as they are in line with international law. The death penalty is legal in Iran under a principle that we uphold ourselves.

Johnnymcg, make sure you know exactly what it is that you are protesting about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

While I'd protest against the death penalty in Iran as well (comity of nations does not prevent me from expressing my disagreement with a nations decisions, nor my peacefully attempting to persuade them to change them) I agree that a focus on the other aspects could be better, if only tactically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 click here

My own view is that - because there are questions around the veracity of the charges of the young men (see a series of reports from the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Campaign (www.iglhrc.org) and Amnesty (www.amnesty.org) at http://www.angrypotato.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2509) - the best approach for a vigil/protest would be around the issue(s) of the death penalty and minors.

That way, the Iranian authorities can't claim the highground, citing the child rape when the protesters are not sure of the facts; but the death penalty and minors issue is not rebuttable.

Also, I'd say that the overall issue of the death penalty encompasses the issue of the death penalty and minors. (Moreover, while the 'ban' in human rights law against the death penalty is not absolute, generally speaking (in contrast with the absolute prohibition of torture), the prohibition of the death penalty against children is absolute (Article 37 of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child http://www.unicef.org/crc/fulltext.htm).

http://www.unicef.org/crc/crc.htm

(P.S. Hallo! (That thing up there says my last visit here was in June 2004. Jeaybus! lol))

• Advertisement
Advertisement