Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

just got ntl bb, wireless router not working :0

• 09-08-2005 3:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

just got ntl bb, hooked up wireless router http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302439&cks=SER

aint working, the pc says there's a wireless connection, but i cant get online.

anyone know what the story is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have you tried using one of the ethernet ports instead of the wireless to narrow down the problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

paperclip wrote:
    just got ntl bb, hooked up wireless router http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302439&cks=SER

aint working, the pc says there's a wireless connection, but i cant get online.

anyone know what the story is?

More info needed how do you the router setup with the Ntl.

Pretty sure you will need to set the ntl router in bridge mode...

Not familiar with those cnet router maybe somebody else has more info regarding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭MrPunch

First of all, are you certain the NTL connection works? When the engineer arrived he would most likely have set things up with your machine directly connected to the NTL modem using a cable. Correct?

If so then take a look in your wireless router's settings for an option to "CLONE" a MAC address. If it is there then try inserting the MAC from your machine. note this must be the MAC of the ethernet card that was used to connect to the NTL modem originally, NOT the MAC address of your wireless card.

You can find these numbers out by hitting Start->Run and typing "cmd" return. Then type "ipconfig /all", which will list all the numbers of the hardware in your machine.

When you enter this number into the router, then the NTL modem will think it is talking directly to the original machine. This was necessary when I tried setting up a wireless router with my NTL connection recently, hopefully it will fix your problem too.

john

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Mac daddy wrote:
    More info needed how do you the router setup with the Ntl.

Pretty sure you will need to set the ntl router in bridge mode...

Not familiar with those cnet router maybe somebody else has more info regarding them.

If the thing NTL provides is a router rather than a "modem", could you simply plug the NTL cable into one of the ethernet "output" ports and use the linksys router as an access point?

That's what we used to do in my house with a CNET router and a BT modem/router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

got it working, just turned everything off for a while, then back on!

anyway, signal strength is absolute rubbish, you basicly have to be in the same room to get a low connection!!

i've got a new dell inspiron 9300, so it has to be the router.

i got it on komplett and the 2 reviews were pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

MrPunch wrote:
    If so then take a look in your wireless router's settings for an option to "CLONE" a MAC address. If it is there then try inserting the MAC from your machine. note this must be the MAC of the ethernet card that was used to connect to the NTL modem originally, NOT the MAC address of your wireless card.

Was just with a customer this evening. Exact same set up as OP, ntl bb with cnet wireless AP. Was close to suicide, and then came accross your post.
    MrPunch you saved my life! I thank you :D

On another note why the fcuk are ntl restricting their bb to physical addresses? What if the customer changes/upgrades their PC.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Hey hey,

Was over at paperclips gaff as he was still having problems.
    The NTL modem -> CNET AP/Router connection is all up and running.

However he cannot get much range using his notebooks inbuilt Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 Mini PCI card. i.e. move from beside the Router to the next room and the connection drops.

The card is supposed to have ranges of up to 30m indoors according to Intel/DELL

I used my own external 3Com USB WLAN adapter with his network and we could get signal and connectivity all over the house?!

I modified the 'Power Management' feature on his card from "Default" to Maximum (i.e. best performance no power saving) and that didn't help.

Only relevant article on Intel's Support website was: http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-006205.htm
    Which I already did.

Any ideas?

Have you updated the driver use the one from intel not the crappy dell out of date one, I have a dell 510m with the same mini pci intel 2200 B G limited range at first updated the driver works fine now.

Also several people have reported problems with ntl and 3 party routers and the connection can take a couple of hours before they have it, Do a search on the broadband forum. for NLT slow and Routers or something similiar. :)

Also check for firmware updates for the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

hi, i am a newbie however i set up my wireless at the weekend, had the same problem, connection worked fine when in the same room as the rotuer however the rest of the house, i could not get a connection.

by pur fluke i discovered that my Lidl digisender was blocking out the wireless signal, switched off digisender and now have perfect coverage all around the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

gonna try that mac daddy, will let yiz know.

nothin's easy eh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

ive got one myself man, picked this up from calling them:

if the sync and ready lights on the modem are ok, then its not the connection.
    if the router icon is red the connection is dosconnected, if its green the the router either needs a reboot, reset, or you call netgear

paperclip wrote:
    gonna try that mac daddy, will let yiz know.

nothin's easy eh :rolleyes:

Nope seems straight forward and easy to config but there is always something else that will pop up ;)

Advertisement