Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pick-up!!!

Options
  • 09-08-2005 3:36pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have a standard private insurance policy on a car but want to buy a small pick-up for doing a private extension on the house -getting sand/timber etc.

Can I get this pick-up covered under my own policy ??
    Does it have to commercial insurance ,even though it is not being used for commercial purposes ?

Is there a blanket policy that will cover both the car & the pick-up.
    what other options do I have ??

thx in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Would you not consider getting a trailer & tow-hitch.

I bought one when I was building, and it was without doubt the single best investment I made. I am moved in a year now, and still use it regularly.

It is big enough to carry 8'x4' sheets on the flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd say the trailer would be your best bet, as prospect says. However, if you're not licenced for it, then you won't be insured if you drive with the trailer. Even if you are licenced for a trailer, you'd need to double-check you policy.

It should be possible to get small pickups. Anything with a GVW of less than 3,500kg can be insured as a car, and there shouldn't be a problem insuring it under standard class A insurance. You won't qualify for a no claims on it though, assuming you keep the other vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

While researching something trailer related for another thread, I stumbled upon this:

"If you hold a category B licence and wish to tow a trailer you may do so provided
    (1) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the combination does not exceed 3500 kg or
    (2) the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg.
    If you wish to tow a heavier trailer you must hold a category EB licence.

The holder of a driving licence in category C1, C, D1 or D may tow a trailer provided the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed 750 kg. Categories EC1, EC, ED1 or ED (depending on the towing vehicle) must be held in order to tow trailers in excess of 750 kg."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

it's a newish car and don't want to ruin it - with builders clothes etc.

will have some heavy steel to move also -
    will only have the pick-up for about 5 months.

will ring around and see what the ins companies say

thx folks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

if I decide to get a separate policy - say thru FBD

will it be cheaper to get commercial ins rather than private

if I am ringing FBD to get a commercial quote - what questions will they ask in relation to the type of use and what are the best answers ????

thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

karltimber wrote:
    will it be cheaper to get commercial ins rather than private
    Oh god no, it won't :)

Advertisement