Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2002 seat Toledo with 257,000miles on it

Options
  • 09-08-2005 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Taxi lad whom lives near me has 257,000 problem free miles on his Toledo. Not sure what model it is, but its a diesel obviously enough.

Just thought i`d share that with ye fellow motorists.

Ps: Anyone see the new toledo,, such a looking yoke, they completely changed the car. Its like a little hatchbk yoke. :mad: Talk about ruining a sweet looking car.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

I drink with a taxi-man who has a Carina E with 420k miles on it, original engine gearbox and clutch, it all depends how you drive the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

My heaps got over 200,000 on it and runs grand, sure its a new part every other week (slight exaggeration) but hey I'm not paying a cent in deprication.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

my gawd, thats some amount on the clock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

thats loads of miles.the max i have seen is 98000 miles on a volvo s80 and i thought that was loads:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A neighbour of mine had a 1.3 petrol Toyota Corolla as a taxi with just over 500,000 miles on it with the original gear box and engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

bazz26 wrote:
    A neighbour of mine had a 1.3 petrol Toyota Corolla as a taxi with just over 500,000 miles on it with the original gear box and engine.

ah comon, are you taking the pi$$?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

I've seen a Merc with 487k on the clock Twas a late 80's model Can't think which exactly now cause it was about 2 years ago I saw it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

There are loads of late eighties corollas and carinas driving around with 300k+ miles on them. Very often they have had no major engine or gearbox work. I know of a 250k petrol Carina that has never had the cylinder head taken off and this wouldn't be unusual.

But obviously it is unusual to have 257k on a 02 car :eek: Especially in such a small country like Ireland.

ando wrote:
    ah comon, are you taking the pi$$?

I thought he was as well until I saw the odometer. It was a 1990 Corolla 1.3 XLi saloon, he had it for a good number of years. It was a taxi from new and he bought it and the plate from the previous owner. The car was a bit knackered inside and out plus the paintwork was faded but that would be expected with a car with 500k on the clock. He eventually took it off the road as he was told that there was a crack in the engine block or something and it started burning alot of oil. It was more expensive to get sorted than it was worth so he got rid of it. Not sure if it was given to someone or scrapped.

Speaking of high mileage fairly new cars, check this one out:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=276214

Looks like an ex garda cruiser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

seems to have damage to the frond vertical edge of the front door. Is that NCT approvable?.

Well it is on sale at an auction house so probably "sold as seen". Would need repair work done. Not due an NCT for another 2 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭boardsee

thats loads of miles.the max i have seen is 98000 miles on a volvo s80 and i thought that was loads

Heh heh,, sure, thats nothing for a diesel. My old 306 had 101,000 when i sold her. I know of a few toyota dynas over 200,000 miles on original stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I bought my old Golf GTI with 106k on the clock and put 30km on it before I sold it. We have a heap of a fiesta '91 with 99k on it. It won't die no matter what I do to it, and no one will nick it...We also had at one time or another Carina, a Sunny and a Vento all with 250-300k on them.

Not unusual at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

I have a hammer. It's been in the family for 258 years. We've had to replace the shaft and head a couple of times, but it's still the same old hammer! :D

css wrote:
    ...Carina E with 420k miles on it, original engine gearbox and clutch, it all depends how you drive the car...
    No way would a clutch last that long! :eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

motor of god there was me who thought I had worries with 86 on my yoke!!

Any links to the new Toledo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

PH01 wrote:
    I have a hammer. It's been in the family for 258 years. We've had to replace the shaft and head a couple of times, but it's still the same old hammer! :D

Is that you, Trig? :)

My Honda has 133K miles ion it at the moment and one of the spark plug leads won't connect properly, but it will still outrun most things on the road. Just had to put a new clutch in it recently, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Had a 94 Citroen ZX that died at 146k. It would have soldiered on if my uncle hadnt attempted to drain the radiator for no apparent reason and forget to top it up enough. Damn fool.

Went and bought a 96 of the same vintage for 2 grand at 46k. Hitting 80k at the mo and no signs of stopping this time either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

a 3 yr old car with >250k miles. surely this cant be possible...
    thats about 250 miles a day????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I was in a merc taxi in swords one day and it had over 900,000 miles on it. The driver was in his late 70's and he had the car since new. He also told me he held one of the first taxi licences in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

joc_06 wrote:
    a 3 yr old car with >250k miles. surely this cant be possible...
    thats about 250 miles a day????

It's high mileage but not at all impossible. I put 270k on a 97 Vectra B in 4 years when I was doing field service work in the I.T. industry.....That excluded 4-6 hours actually on customer sites each day.

Man, that was tough going! In any one week I could be in any combination of Cork, Galway, Belfast, Letterkenny, Castlebar, Tralee, Waterford, Dundalk, etc., returning to Dublin EVERY night (I absolutely HATE hotels).

Now I work in a call-centre..... :p

Gil

Yes alot of taxis can be on the road day and night with more than one driver which can clock up well over 100,000 miles in a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

K-TRIC wrote:
    I was in a merc taxi in swords one day and it had over 900,000 miles on it. The driver was in his late 70's and he had the car since new. He also told me he held one of the first taxi licences in Dublin.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :cool:

Advertisement