Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another Failed NCT test help wanted

Options
  • 09-08-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Ok its an 01 PT cruiser from the US. Moved back last year...

Failed on front side lights wrong colour (except side lights are also the indicator lights). Can I just cut the side lights wire and just have them as indicator or is that part of the test.

I do have a space below the main bumper for front fog (there just blanks at the moment so I prob could put side lights onto this if possible for the NCT.

OK next... The garage put on the plates last year but it didnt have the writing on top so that failed... The standard plates are too big for the gaps on an american car so they put on Jap inport plates. Can I just get a sticker with the writing on for the county and stick that on the plate (will that be allowed?)

Finally the beam is to the right (its a left hand drive car) I put on the beam benders and garage moved the light as far left as possible but the NCT said its the wrong colour should be white not yellow benders.

Did they actually test the beam as it said FAIL/REFUSAL on the head light aim

and N/A in the first colum under Nearside and Offside...

To change the light cluster will be 400 each + installation

apprt from that the car passed everything else.

any help would be appreciated

Garyh3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 dynasty crew

Can't offer any advice, but just wondering, why exactly do you have to do the nct? I never heard of someone getting in trouble for not having done it and I notice that quite a few old cars around the place have no nct displayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

I think it has to be NCT's as it registered in the ROI and you cannot get a tax disk without it
    (but I could be wrong).

+ its a good excuse for the blue and white to stop you if you dont have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

garyh3 wrote:
    I think it has to be NCT's as it registered in the ROI and you cannot get a tax disk without it
    (but I could be wrong).

+ its a good excuse for the blue and white to stop you if you dont have one.

you haven't needed an NCT for tax for years...

next time you renew online you won't even be asked about it...

jhegarty wrote:
    you haven't needed an NCT for tax for years...

next time you renew online you won't even be asked about it...

Ok but wont I get stopped for not having an NCT displayed.... what would be the penalty for that ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Shing

Without an NCT, the Gardaí are able to fine you on the spot. Also, it will most likely void your insurance.

Regards,
    Wai Shing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

garyh3 wrote:
    Ok but wont I get stopped for not having an NCT displayed.... what would be the penalty for that ?
    In theory you should, but for reasons best known to themselves the Gardai don't actually check for it (unlike the MOT in the UK). The only times I've known anyone be done for not having an NCT is if they're also being done for no tax and/or insurance at the same time.

This doesn't, however, stop it being a legal requirement to have a valid NCT if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

garyh3 wrote:
    Ok its an 01 PT cruiser from the US. Moved back last year...

Failed on front side lights wrong colour (except side lights are also the indicator lights). Can I just cut the side lights wire and just have them as indicator or is that part of the test.
    Nope, sorry. Sidelights are part of the test and must be white. Yellow side light may be allowed in certain circumstances (eg if the sidelight is part of the headlights and the headlight glass is yellow)
    I do have a space below the main bumper for front fog (there just blanks at the moment so I prob could put side lights onto this if possible for the NCT.
    This may work but the positioning may be regarded as being too low for sidelights. Maybe call into a test centre when it's quiet and see if you can have a word with one of the VIs
    OK next... The garage put on the plates last year but it didnt have the writing on top so that failed... The standard plates are too big for the gaps on an american car so they put on Jap inport plates. Can I just get a sticker with the writing on for the county and stick that on the plate (will that be allowed?)
    Sticker should be grand. Was the absence of country name in Irish the only failure point or were there other issues with the plates.

BrianD3 wrote:
    Nope, sorry. Sidelights are part of the test and must be white. Yellow side light may be allowed in certain circumstances (eg if the sidelight is part of the headlights and the headlight glass is yellow)

So how can I pass as the indicator has to be yellow and the side lights has to be white. I have one bulb that does them both (bit of a catch 22)

This may work but the positioning may be regarded as being too low for sidelights. Maybe call into a test centre when it's quiet and see if you can have a word with one of the VIs

TKS will give them a call

Sticker should be grand. Was the absence of country name in Irish the only failure point or were there other issues with the plates.

Thats all he said as it has the Blue EU part and it really isnt that much smaller than the standard plate. However I have seen many cars on the road without the county name and still have an NCT cert.

The other question is did they test the headlights or just failed as they saw the wrong beam benders. Does the results give you how far out your lights are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Is your car a right hand drive built for the postal service in the states .
    I bought a Subaru Legacy Estate which was imported from the states and had the same problems with the NCT ended up having to fit head and side lights from an equivalent Irish car and then found out that the beam deflectors would be accepted ( think it depends on the NCT centre ) . The cars are specifically built in RHD so the post people can throw the post into people drives without been on the wrong side of the road ( Cool hey ) .

No its LHD Chrysler PT 01 reg....

The garage said it would be 400 euro's each + fitting for new front lights but they were unsure if the loom would be able to connect to the cluster. They may have to change or modify that also....

I think its unreasonable that they dont accomodate LHD cars as Ireland is part of the EU.

Older cars are except why can there not be a modified version for the NCT for LHD cars.

I have tried my best to meet the NCT, but the current configuration on the lights is impossible... The car has met all other mechanical / Emmision test..

Chrysler are having a look at the NCT report and the Car on Friday to see what they can do...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

You see in this great country of ours the Government are very quick to take the VRT revenue and the problem you are having does not come up until you go for the NCT as happened me . But in the UK they have what is called SVA or single vehicle approval and your car would not have been registered in the UK until all items were to the approval standard for registration .You know any heap once previously registered in any part of the world will be accepted for registration in Ireland ( not that yours is a heap Gary ) all you have to pay is the VRT and if it is declared less than 4 yrs old it does not need an NCT until 2 years after registration great !!"!

I now have the right coloured Beam bender and I have the lettering for plate. I sure that Chrysler can fix the beam so I tempted to just drill a hole in the back side plastic of the PT where the Side/indicator is (Looks like there's plenty of room and superglue/or clear rubber mastic) a small white car light in. Then cut the wires from the original light (that is if there are 2 wires for the indicator and 2 of the side lights) and fix to a connector that I can push onto the light.

Has anyone done this or something similar.... will this work??

regards

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 5 annaeire

Where can I get Beam Benders for a spanish jeep?? Im stuck with the NCT and I can not find them anywhere!
    Thank you.
    BrianD3 wrote:

Advertisement