Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new low for SF?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

is_that_so wrote:
    They shouldn't have to. In the same way Sinn Fein should have left it alone and not waved policy at it. I'd be well put out if some dimwit councillor was doing my thinking for me.
    I agree completely, I just can't help wondering if those who seem to think that SF not getting involved equates to supporting rape, think the same about other political parties too ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There are people who will not approach the police under any circumstances.
    There are people like that in every country. That doesn't make it OK.
    I dont see the problem in providing an outlet for this otherwise missing information
    Neither do I, as long as that outlet is likely to lead to a conviction. I'm not clear on how putting the information in the public domain (letter to the Times?) will achieve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭supersheep

I don't know, maybe telling someone who it is so the police can arrest them, and do a DNA test? Sounds good enough to me anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

hill16 wrote:
    The RUC special branch is still intact,ohh sorry I meant the PSNI.
    No, its gone from something like 2,000 to 250 members. Hardly intact. And what does special branch have to do with this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

There are people like that in every country. That doesn't make it OK.
    With respect. I think the northern situation is a little different than run of the mill "every country" situations
    Neither do I, as long as that outlet is likely to lead to a conviction.
    So your panicking about how info is submitted and not just scraping the barrel for something to beat SF over the head with. Fair enough. Because encouraging members of the community to engage with the authorities in some format is a bad thing of course. These same people who would be just as happy to say nothing.

Sorry afraid you've lost me.
    What exactly is your argument again? You know; the one against SF encouring people to go to a community leader (priest, councillor, elected rep) if they dont feel confident enough to engage with the police.

• Advertisement

Sorry afraid you've lost me.
    What exactly is your argument again? You know; the one against SF encouring people to go to a community leader (priest, councillor, elected rep) if they dont feel confident enough to engage with the police.

TBH SF should have kept their trap shut on a sensitive one like this and let the psni get on with their door to door.
    It would be up to the PSNI to let people know that if they had information to give and didnt feel comfortable, that there were other options.

Making a statement about it was stupid and only leaving their position open to controversy.

Now this thread has done the rounds.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement