Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1Gbps wireless broadband trials to begin in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

In the 70s and 80s of GHz - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is going to be seriously short-range stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

oscarBravo wrote:
    In the 70s and 80s of GHz - someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is going to be seriously short-range stuff.

My educated guess is about 2KM....MAX.....mabye only 1KM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

wow - that'll be very short range - rain won't help it much ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

zuma wrote:
    My educated guess is about 2KM....MAX.....mabye only 1KM!!!

Would depend on the link reliability required - would do up to about 3 miles with 99.9%

Good for metro deployments with building witihn short range and a good alternative to FSO (free space optics)

It's not something that will be used for residential deployments unless you fancy half a barrel on yer roof an a mega install fee:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single5197
    Thought this was funny on the same page as talking about speeds... They can't even reach 1mbps

• Advertisement
Advertisement