Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear view mirrors :|

Options
  • 09-08-2005 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

Hihi,

My rear view mirror fell off :( so I aquirred some supa-glue as ye do, well that didn't work then I tried an epoxy based mix that didn't work, so after all that I bought a €10 stick on mirror from meh local quickie-mart but it fell off and shattered lol :mad:. how can I get my old mirror to stay on :confused:

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Which mirror, the one in the center of the front window or the one on the door?

And if the one in the center of hte front window, I'll assume it is the metal mount attachment to the glass that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Its ok now I managed to clean the centre piece on the mirror that sticks to the windscreen with some sandpaper and i got some sticky pads in halfords. :)

Just in case it happens again;
    There is special "super glue" for the job, which comes with an activator which is applied to the glass AFTER you clean both the glass and spigot properly.

I have found a new blade with the back stiffener can be used to remove any flecks of the old glue.
    If you want to use sandpaper to finish off the job, get teh black wet&dry stuff, 600 grit or finer. Wet it and lay it flat on a piece of polished marble or something very smooth and flat. Rub the spigot in smooth even strokes until flat. I have not used it on the glass and would not recommend it either.

Wash, clean dry with both soapy water and Acetone to clean off any residues.
    Same for the spot on the glass.
    Do touch the mating surfaces with your fingers, etc again.

Get a hairdryer and a friend to hold it.

Appy the activator to the glass at the appropriate position.
    Apply the super glue to the spigot. (Or whatever the kit requires)
    Push the two together, while your friend heats the area with the hairdryer from the outside.
    Hold until it bonds, then continue the heat for 15 mins or more.

Has never failed for me.

I have used common clear bathtub sealer for sticking external/side mirrors in place. Just need to hold or tape it in place for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

While we're on the subject of adhesives, any recommendations for sticking a bonnet badge on a car? I want to make sure it won't come off, but if some thieving scum is determined to remove it, he won't have to take a lump of the bonnet with it.

Are u planning on attaching it to the paint or going down to the bare metal?.

?Clean surface, 2 part adhesive, again heat to about 125deg C for 30 minutes and it becomes extremely strong.
    A few I have used with good results when heated on curing. Devcon or 2-Ton 2 part adhesive.

Try sticking 2 washers together by curing them in the kitchen Electric overn, nog gas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Mirror fell off last night, I'm left with a thin metal disc stuck to the window and mirror with it's arm in my hand, the arm has a flat disk surface to match the one stuck to the windscreen -doesn't feel magnetic.

How do I rejoing these, is this a glue job:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Ahh its that time of year again when the dam mirrors start acting up, well for atleast a few of us. I blaim the condensation on the inside of the car in the morning and the frost covering the outside of the windscreen, turn on your air - conditioning and over time this will weaken the surface where the mirror is attached.

You could try bonding the two parts together GlennaMaddy as explained by the previous posters. It didn't work out for me but might for yourself. I ran out and got a replacement mirror, cost me €20 and does the job.

Just make sure the surface is clean and grime/grease free. Clean the area with an alcohol based solution, heat the surface gradually etc and apply the mirror with the appropiate glue that will bond metal to glass.

Hope you have better luck then I had. :)

I bought a fixing kit, with the mesh and glue in the local auto shop for about a tenner. Loctite made it.

Advertisement