Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lazy Dog

Options
  • 09-08-2005 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all. In February My Family and I got a new Japanese Spitz puppy, he's 7 months now. As soon as we could we brought him for regular walks, after the first walk he was unbelievable good on the lead. He just followed me everywhere. People even told me how good and quiet he was. A few weeks ago we had to mind a beagle for a week and I brought the two of them for a long early walk each morning which kept them calm in the evening. Since then my dog won't really walk anywhere!! He's gotten worse as time goes. when I take him out in the Garden to put his lead on he runs to the front door, when it's on and i'm trying to walk him he won't move, he'll sit there stubbornly pulling his head backwards!! IF I finally manage to get him to walk as soon as he knows hes on his way home he starts running home. He's so reluctant to leave to house and i'm starting to worry about his fitness because he's often out of beath and pants very loud when he's asleep! Did anyone have a similar Problem or can anyone help me? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

im thinking dogs are alot like us, if he's been sedentary for a while, he probably doesnt enjoy long strenuous walks . start out slow, take him for short walks then build up to longer ones, Maybe once he figures out that your not going to make him really work too hard,he'll be less reluctant to go for a walk. Maybe a treat when he gets home will help too. i put meat broth in ice cube trays and make little frozen treats for my dogs. they love them when they get home from a walk and they're a little healthier than soem other dog treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

At seven months he's a bit young to be lethargic.
    Get him checked out at the vets. Could be anything from the wrong food to heart disease.

If he's fit and lively otherwise, just doesn't want to go walkies then my guess would be that on these long walks something happened that he didn't like and now he associates the lead with that event and simply refuses to go near it.

If that is the case you'll basically have to start lead training again. Make the lead "fun". Start in the garden ...play ...put on the lead ...play more ...take it off again ...and so on until you can finally bring him outside again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

It's possible the beagle passed on a virus or something -- he could have a touch of a cold, and you know how out of it you can feel when you're sick.

Take him for a check up. I'm sure he'll be back to himself soon enough.

Keep showing lots of TLC -- that heals many ills as well.

Advertisement