Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit the road Jack..

Options
  • 10-08-2005 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm looking into getting a bike, simply because I want one, and have started to like them. That and the fact that if I even think of asking for car insurance I'll just get laughed at. A lot.

So here's the deal, I've been doing a bit of reading on it and am I right in assuming pretty much all bikes from 50cc-125cc are in the group 2 category? Ideally I'd like a 125, but I'm flexible (that yoga's starting to pay off). I'm just 17 and a I know that insurance isn't going to be very nice whichever way I go.
    And no suggesting I get a scooter! Despise those things..

So here's my questions, who's should I ask for insurance without making myself look like an ass? I saw Lynskeyryan.ie - didn't take it much further though, anyone heard anything of them?
    Also, if someone could recommend me a somewhat alright bike (preferably one I can pick up second hand for a not-too expensive price), it'd be appreciated.

Also, if there's any other advice/suggestions people want to give, feel free to.
    Cheers.

/Edit: just saw claregalways thread on this...ah well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

AON are the only people who'll insure you in this country.
    http://www.aon.com/ie/en/indiv/bikecare.jsp

As for trying to keep your costs down in the bike dept....well, it's a bit of a mixed bag. When you get down to the 125 bikes, the less you spend, the less abuse the bike will take. And when you're only starting out, your bike will take a good bit of abuse. In terms of maintenance, I'd recommend going with a 4-stroke engine. So the Suzuki Marauder or Intruder, the Yamaha DragStar, or the Honda Varadero (someone nudge me if I've forgotten any). There are 2-stroke 125's out there, but they take a little more care.

Buy your first bike from a dealer, don't be tempted by a cheap second-hander in the Buy and Sell. Buying an iffy second-hand bike could well cost you your life.

I cannot stress enough the importance of training before even going on the road, especially at your age. Check out the Motorcycle FAQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Thanks for the info, I'd prefer a 4-stroke bike. I'm not sure why, I just don't like the whole 2-stroke-mixing-oil etc.

Anyway, my brother has been driving bikes for a few years (both motocross and road bikes) so he's coaching me on everything he knows aswell as all the do's and don'ts. I'll check the FAQ aswell though.

Any idea how much I'd pay for a Varadero or a DragStar from a dealer?

PS: Is it wise for me to go a 2-stroke? There seems to be a bit more of a selection in the 2-stroke area. Such as the Honda NSR, Aprilla RS or a Yamaha DT125 even...I wouldn't massively mind getting a trails bike instead of a road bike. To use on the road I mean.

There's no problem with going for a two-stroke, you just need to be aware of the little extra maintenance it requires. I personally would be wary of buying a two-stroke by private sale, as they can, particularly the lower cc bikes, have had the ****e driven out of them.

Prices are pretty much the same for all dealers, unlike cars the entry-level bikes don't have that many versions of a single model, and if they do, Irish retailers tend to only import the one version of that model.

Check out www.bikeworld.ie for prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The Cagiva Mito 125 looks pretty cool (916 look-a-like)
    and the Aprilia RS125 isn't too bad either, apparently quick too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

el tel wrote:
    The Cagiva Mito 125 looks pretty cool (916 look-a-like)
    and the Aprilia RS125 isn't too bad either, apparently quick too.

But he's 17.... You might aswell be telling him about the Honda Fireblade or Suzuki Hyabusa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

Indeed forget any of the two-strokes. No two stroke 125 is group 2. An NSR 50/80 is the most he can get. An nsr125 is group 7. There are restricted ones about which are group 2, but whats the point? It will only go like an NSR50 anyway.

For a learner 125 I would get a Honda cg 125. ****e looking, but reliable. Baby cruisers and the like have no kudos anyway, so if you are stuck on a 125 something cheap, reliable and cheap to insure is the only man.

dawballz wrote:
    You might aswell be telling him about the Honda Fireblade

My brother has one :)

Thanks for the input folks, although the ones about me having to look at 50's aren't too encouraging. Still, I'll keep digging around.

I just bought a restricted 03 NSR 125 the other day.
    Tis going grand so far, but it won't go past 75MPH.
    The insurance company won't accept it as a group 2 bike unless it is from 02 onwards.

The reason someone would buy a 125 instead of a 50/80 is because they look much better. I had an nsr 80, 2 years ago. Wouldn't go back to an 80, so I got the 125.
    It's all about street cred, and I know a 125 won't get you much, but it does make you feel good when you hammer the shams on their scootays.

For any insurance people reading this, this is all hypothetical and stuff, but isn't it possible to de-restrict the NSR125's, and sort of neglect to tell the insurance company?
    Granted if you crash you're boned, but it's possible and from what I've been told it's done a fairly large amount on those bikes...

I have been looking up on this myself alright.
    There is different restrictions in place in different NSR's and I'm not sure which one mine is.
    They can be restricted in:
    1. The CDI unit(I think it is an electrical box..someone here should know)
    2. The exhaust
    3. The air intake in the carbretor.

Not sure which one mine is though.. might take a look after I get used to the bike etc.

• Advertisement

Any chance of a few details dawballz? Age, insurance premium etc.? Just so I can get an idea of what I'm up against.

For me:
    Age: 19(20 in two weeks, but there won't be any reduction when I turn 20)
    Bike: Honda NSR 125R '03. (Also got the same quote as below for a Yamaha TDR 125, which had more power than the restricted NSR.)
    Insurance: EUR 1916
    1 years NCB.

I paid 2,300 for my bike the other day. Got it quite reasonable I think.
    It's in good nick, very clean and only 5,000 miles on it.

I took a ''test drive'' on a yamaha TDR and it had a lovely burst of acceleration.
    It would leave my NSR for dirt off the lights. The tdr I drove was totally stock too.
    You could get a good condition TDR for about 2,000 I'd say, but being two stroke also, you don't really know what you're buying second hand.

Spike wrote:
    For any insurance people reading this, this is all hypothetical and stuff, but isn't it possible to de-restrict the NSR125's, and sort of neglect to tell the insurance company?
    Granted if you crash you're boned, but it's possible and from what I've been told it's done a fairly large amount on those bikes...
    You might as well buy a 600cc and tell them you're driving a Moped then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How about the DT 125R?
    It is fairly low powered and has a good torquey engine.
    It is a 2 stroke but all 2T's now have autolube, basically you fill a small tank with oil and the bike does the mixing.
    I don't see the problem with 2T's they are mechanically much simpler and if the bike does need a piston and rings it ain't gonna cost anywhere what the 4T bikes cost to repair.
    A DT125 also has no expensive fairings to get smashed and look shabby, being a trailie it is made to be dropped (within reason) and still be OK. You also have a good high riding position that makes traffic negotiation easy.

Yeah they seem to be nice bikes.

I'm not 100% here, but I think they are group 3 insurance.
    Could be wrong, you'd have to ring up AON first.

Advertisement