Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Case Modding is dangerous - don't do it!

Options
  • 10-08-2005 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭

Thought that title might get a few hits here!

From http://www.bbspot.com/news/2000/11/case_mod.html
    It's BBSpot...
    Waco, TX - Neon tubing and blow holes weren't enough for one local computer case modifier and now the deaths related to case modification are two. Just 12 days ago Carson City, Nevada teen Warren Botrey was killed in a house fire when the acetylene torch he was using to modify his computer case ignited his comic book collection and destroyed his home. This time the victim is Waco resident Sean Whitman.

Dangerous Case Mods
    "He wanted a case that looked like it came from a war zone. I told him he was crazy, but that Sean is a visionary. First we took the case out back and shot it a few times with his pistol, but the holes weren't big enough to allow proper ventilation," said survivor Fred Willis. "After that we left Sean outside while we went to get some more brews. Next thing we know we're pulling glass out of our eyes."

According to what police munitions experts can piece together Sean Whitman attached two large propane tanks to his computer case and began shooting. The explosion created some very large ventilation holes in his chassis, but unfortunately for Sean some very large holes in his torso also.

"It probably wasn't the greatest idea in the world, but we were pretty drunk," said Fred. "I'm very sad to see my friend Sean die, but I think he guaranteed himself a spot in overclocker heaven with this one."

NRA President Charlton Heston said, "It is unfortunate that a young citizen has been killed. We hope that all Americans learn a valuable lesson from this: Guns don't kill people, exploding propane tanks kill people."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Darwin Award material right there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

OK THEN ...he says as he puts his cans of gas back out to the shed ....maybe a blowhole using the chainsaw will do instead .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

now that was some kickass modding, LOL

lesson - never mod when extremely drunk, LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

does that mean i can't make another window n my case with Liquid Hydrogen and a match?

Gilgamesh wrote:
    does that mean i can't make another window n my case with Liquid Hydrogen and a match?

ah thats fine as long as you dont shoot the liquid hydrogen with a pistola. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Lmao :d

gline wrote:
    ah thats fine as long as you dont shoot the liquid hydrogen with a pistola. :)

spoil sport :D

Gilgamesh wrote:
    spoil sport :D

well theres always hydrochloric acid.........duh :D

gline wrote:
    well theres always hydrochloric acid.........duh :D

true, but I ran out of Teflon coated Cups ;)

Gilgamesh wrote:
    true, but I ran out of Teflon coated Cups ;)

heheheh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

We all realise this is fake righ?? :p
    Just have to check

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Another great bbspot one:

http://bbspot.com/News/2000/5/clock_rift.html
    Overclocker Creates Rift in Space-Time Continuum
    By Brian Briggs

Santa Cruz, CA - A rift in the space-time continuum was created today when overclocker Jamie Aperman ran a 750 MHz Coppermine Pentium III at 1.6 GHz. Overclocking has long been blamed for causing global warming, but this is the first occasion that the fabric of space-time has been damaged.

Rift in the Space-Time ContinuumMIT Professor George Greznowski said, "It appears that the CPU was operating so fast that it began to execute instructions before they arrived. This execution of future instructions created a small tear in the fabric of space-time itself through which part of the motherboard passed into a parallel universe."

No one was injured in the accident, but a computer motherboard was partially damaged. Mr. Aperman better known as SpeedPhreeek said, "I'm pissed. I lost a brand new Alpha Cooler and Coppermine to a parallel universe. I called my insurance company and they don't cover losses to rifts in the space-time continuum."

Intel researchers have long warned of such damage to the space-time continuum, and added clock multiplier locks to their CPUs before they were required by Congress. A bill is now in the US Senate which would require a three day waiting period for purchasers of Alpha Cooling Fans and Peltier cooling devices. The bill would also require clock multiplier locks on all new processors.

Overclocking advocate Horace Spencer said, "This bill before Congress won't prevent overclocking. They'll just create a black market for non-locked processors. Most of the top overclockers already get their goods from Taiwan."

Advertisement