Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais and their fitters - cowboys?

Options
  • 10-08-2005 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Does anyone else have a poor opinion of so called "official" Bord Gais fitters? I am currently renovating and have to move a boiler from an upstairs bedroom to a downstairs utility room : 1900 euros + VAT. He previously wanted to charge me 2300 + VAT and when I queried the bill he said there was obviously a "mistake" and someone had "f***ed up". The meter also sits on the sitting room floor and now another fitter from Bord Gais has to come out and quote for moving the meter to a safer location.

These people were the ones who a) installed the bloody boiler UPSTAIRS in a bedroom(!) and b) installed the bloody meter on the feccin sitting room floor IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?

I cant believe this ****, who are these jokers? Anyone else pissed off with these jokers? It seems to me they are feeding the golden goose when they install the stuff in ****ty locations so that later on some mug like myself has to cough up big style to get them to do a proper job...very, very annoying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

I am a little surprised that you needed B. G. to move the boiler, anything passed the meter can be moved provided the person doing the job is qualified to work on gas.

The qualification is a bit different to the standard plumber I have moved boilers and I'm not a qualified plumber, I do however take the precautions of having a certified installer make the final connection and test everything.

As to the meter inside on the sittingroom floor it must be an old system because the new meters are located outside the house similar to the ESB box it makes them easy to read.

I am not familiar enough with B.G. practices to comment other than it appears that you have been given some very bad advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

The Meter is Bord Gais's property, they decide where they wanted to install it. Nowadays the meter must be positioned outside so that the meter reader doesnt have to gain access to house. Provided its not a 2 up 2 down terrace.

The previous owner obviously decided to locate the boiler in its location for a reason, possibly there living requirements were different to yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

pipers wrote:
    The Meter is Bord Gais's property, they decide where they wanted to install it. Nowadays the meter must be positioned outside so that the meter reader doesnt have to gain access to house. Provided its not a 2 up 2 down terrace.

The previous owner obviously decided to locate the boiler in its location for a reason, possibly there living requirements were different to yours?

Its a 2-up, 2-down terrace so they cant fit the meter outside. Instead they put it on the floor. Shoddy, cheap job.

As for reasons for putting the boiler upstairs, its the fitters who try this on. The neighbour who moved in next door got gas in recently and had to fight to get the boiler in his kitchen, the fitters wanted to put it upstairs..apparantly easier to put the flu out the back wall :confused:

Question: Where should I get the meter moved inside the house? I am thinking beside the electricity meter on the hall wall just inside the door or else beside the boiler (when its moved) in the utility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭disillusioned

I had an indoor meter moved outdoors and paid nothing for it - it was moved by BG. Don't think it was meant to be a freebie but I thank the inefficiency and carelessness of BG for that. I think as we all pay more than enough for the service and with the constant levies etc their services should include upgrading systems free anyway!

Advertisement