Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I get into BIOS on a Compaq Laptop?

• 10-08-2005 10:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hey folks ,
    I recently became the delightful owner of a Compaq Armada 7800. Really old machine but its better than nothing. Anyway, Ive been trying to get into the BIOS screen to boot from disk so i can do a full wipe of the system but it just doesnt want to go. Ive tried holding f1, holding f2 , holding f10 (all the f buttons) , Ive tried delete , Ive tried taking out a RAM chip so the machine should boot into BIOS to detect the hardware change but nothing is working!!! Any help would be really appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

possibly ctrl, shift and escape.

failing that, just hold a few keys down while starting up to generate a keyboard error and you should be able to get into BIOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I bought an E700 Armada last week from a guy on boards.ie and I have exactly the same problem. I was just about to put up a thread and i seen this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

on older laptops you could only access the BIOS thru a diagnostic partition or thru software in windows

have a look at this thread for some references to your answer
    forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=514749

if windows is not available the software is accessed from a hidden partition using a compaq boot disk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Yeh I saw that site...what software in windows do I use though?
    Dont have a compaq boot disk...can it be downloaded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

from memory, the 7800 has a BIOS that you can access without software, but I could be wrong. Some REALLY old deskpros (ala 133mmx) had such a partition.

700 series defo has a BIOS that you can access without software, I had to do it only yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭daywalker

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Yeh I saw that site...what software in windows do I use though?
    Dont have a compaq boot disk...can it be downloaded?

on my old toshiba laptop i used the toshiba apps, so probably similar compaq apps, there is a link on that forum thread which you could download and try, else you'll have to do a search for 7800 apps on the hp site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

possibly ctrl, shift and escape.

failing that, just hold a few keys down while starting up to generate a keyboard error and you should be able to get into BIOS
    CTRL , SHIFT + ESC seemed to work, it stopped to start-up and it brought a small blue box up in the top right hand corner saying BIOS with a few numbers after it....But thats it, its not going into the BIOS screen and any key I press does not enter into the BIOS...This is doing my head in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tryanythingonce

Try pressing esc or f10 when the curser is on the top right hand corner in boot up

Advertisement