Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance - just theft+fire?

Options
  • 10-08-2005 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi I plan to go away for the year
    and wanted to put my car in the garage (fully locked etc) for the year

but am just wondering can I get just theft+fire for the year??

if so do all insurance companys do this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I don't think its legal for them to sell motor insurance without third party cover, regardless of whether the car is on the road or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^What Stephen said

Talk to your home insurance supplier about getting it included as part of the house contents (will cost you a bit though).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hussey, what Stephen said makes sense, but be wary about cancelling your motor policy.

I am sure that someone will be able to correct or confirm this, I have heard that if you go un-insured for a certain amount of time (i.e. for over 1 year, or over 2 years etc), then you can lose your no claims as you no longer have continous insurance. Like I said though, this may not be true at all so ring them and ask.

Yeah, your NCB expires after a while, not sure how long.

Also hussey, have a look in your manual for the manufacturer's recommendations for putting the car into storage. At a minimum you need to make sure that handbrake is off and the battery is removed.
    As an alternative, you could leave it insured, TPF&T with Open Drive, and ask a family member to pop down every week or two and take it out for twenty or thirty miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭Trampas

It is usually after 3 years that you lose your NCB.

The min you can get on your insurance is 3rd party.

As you always have to insurance the other party incase of an accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Seamus : why does hand brake need to be off??
    getting it insured for the year would be completly pointless as it would cost me about 1500!!!

I'll ring insurance company now and see when my NCB will expire

hussey wrote:
    Seamus : why does hand brake need to be off??
    The cable becomes weak/untensioned if you leave it engaged, afaik. Just stick it in gear and it can't move very far. With the battery out, there's also no risk of someone starting it up and jolting forward into the garage wall (though that's no why you remove the battery).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

thanks seamus - that makes sence

I just rang my insurance comp - 2 years expiry date on no claims bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I suspended my insurance while travelling for a month last year but retained fire and theft cover. You get a refund for the time you're not on the road and still build your NCB. I'm not sure what's the longest you can do this for but talk to a few brokers and they'll tell you quick enough, you might be lucky and be able to do it for 11 months.

Advertisement