Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian recipies

• 10-08-2005 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've just moved into a shared apartment with 5 others, one of whom is a vegetarian, and we're cooking in rotation for each other. Given that I'm cooking for 6 people, with minimal equipment (a 4-piece hob, and I *think* an oven also) and that I'm in Macedonia where the price of Irish vegetables like beans, broccili and lettuce is high, but continental vegetables like tomatos, cucumbers and olives is low, can someone recommend some veggie recipies, or link me to a site that has some good ones?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

If the vegitarian eats eggs then ommlets are a great idea.
    You can go down the pasta route,
    big bowl of pasta, sauce ,salad loads of bread.

Try asking the Vegitarian, they probably know some recipies.
    or if in doubt ask google.
    http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=vegetarian+recipes&spell=1
    I had a wuick flick through the results.
    some nice things here.

Does the vegatarian eat fish??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

http://kurma.net/

pretty good site, hare krishna cookery.
    You may need to substitute cumin and mustard seed with onions and garlic.
    Indian Brahmin cookery does not use onion for religious reasons and I find that the food tastes a little strange as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hey - yeah, have asked the vegetarian, he claims he can barely cook, since he's been living at home...
    Good call with the omlettes though - know any good veggie combinations (since my idea of an omlette is generally of the bacon/spuds/onion variety)

I'll take a look at the indian site now. [EDIT]Not actually indian apparantly...[/EDIT]

Fish is meat appparantly... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i know it'sa abit boring but you could try making pasta dishes with veg. tend to be dead simple if not a bit bland (to this carnovores tastes).

I'll take a look at the indian site now. [EDIT]Not actually indian apparantly...[/EDIT]

It is Hare Krishna which is North Indian cookery but not by an Indian, the guy kurma was one of the first TV chefs in the UK and now lives in Australia and is one of the worlds top veggie chefs.
    Is good information there and some great recipes, just remember to add in your own onions and garlic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

How about vegetable fried rice with baked chicken legs? The veggie rice should be enough for the veggie, and the chicken legs can be done as tasty picky junk for the rest of you. Plus they're cheaper than chicken fillets if you're cooking for six people. If you're really daring you could buy a whole chicken, section it into pieces and bake it with lemongrass and chili.

If you want recipe ideas post again and I'll list some.

Good call JD, that's what I'll cook. Presumably veggie stir-fried rice is just fry the veg with some herbs, mostly boil the rice, then fry the whole lot with an egg on the bottom, and mix...

Plus, I like to eat meat, and I think after 5 days of veggism, I won't be alone on that one, so chicken wings are a plan.

Ah the old let's just give the veggies the same as us without the meat trick.

It's a plan, they're used to it.

The humourous part of this thread is that "the veggie" is coming over like "the rapist" or "the accused".
    Veggies are human too you know :P

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭SparkyLarks

Omletts
    put in spuds onions brocalli( if it's not too expensive) cheese, anything else that you think might go in. that's the fun part of cooking lobbing stuff into the pot.

If your doing vegtable rice make sure you do lots of veg. A vegitarian wants to be full after eating too.

If your trying to cook quickly, cook chicken curry noodles.
    boil the noodles with a load of veg thrown in. or stirfry the veg, then put it aside for a few mins while you

fry the chicken.
    curry up the noodles and veg.

serve the the Vegitarian and then add the chicken to the curried noodles and veg. Serve everyone else

Similarly.
    sweet and sour chicken + Veg noodles
    swechzwan chicken + Veg noodles
    Other sauces +chicken + Veg
    Curry Pork + Veg noodles
    sweet and sour Pork + Veg noodles
    swechzwan Pork + Veg noodles

you can swap noodles with rice, Swechwan noodles arn't everybodies cup of tea
    Egg fried rice is probable a good idea if your doing rice, some protien for the vegatarian
    If your really adventerous, get some beans( i.e kidney broad beans chick peas ect) and put them into a curry for the vegitarian

When cooking for vegatarians most people leave out the sauce as well as the meat, the sauce is where the flavour comes from. cook what you normally would, take out the meat and ask youself would I like eating that? If not then neither would a vegitarian probably.

• Advertisement

Excellent - they sound like some excellent things to be cooking for *the veggie* in the not to distant future Sparky. Also - might try chucking in some feta cheese into the veggies dishes, a bit more protein...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 calam

refried beans (kidney beans + onion+garlic+salt+tabasco)
    Guacamole (avacadoes +tomato +garlic +tabasco)
    creme fraiche/natural yogurt
    salad of any sort really ( bit a lettuce or something)
    rice(optional)
    throw it all into a tortilla yumyumyum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I take it that this particular veggie has no problem with eggs (as some do)....so....

You can make fabulous veggie burgers with chickpeas, cheese, and egg, seasoning of your choice, and breadcrumbs..although you generally need a food processor or some-such to blitz the mix down. Maybe chop in some onion and/or gerkhin too. Form, and then fridge for a few hours to allow them to hold their shape. Rub with a touch of oil, then dry-fry, preferably on a griddle-pan.

Chickpea-and-spinach curry is also a really easy one to do.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<aside>

I'd also tell the vegetarian to learn how to cook.

I personally believe that you shouldn't expect ppl to cook to suit your particular eating habits if you can't do the same yourself.

jc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Perfecto vegetable fried rice:

75g rice per person, 1 egg between two. Garlic (1 clove is enough for 2 people). Carrots, spring onions, sweetcorn, peas. About 1 tblsp light vegetable oil for 2 people.

One saucepan (to boil rice), one colander (to drain rice), one large frypan (to fry rice) one with a lid is even better.

1. Put rice on to boil.

2. Chop carrots into skinny batons, get a handful of corn and a handful of peas per person (judge amounts based on your guests and their likely hungriness). Chop/crush garlic. Wash, top and tail spring onions. When chopping spring onions, like them flat in a row and skim the knife across them at a 45 degree angle - so you're slicing down at an angle. Slice thinly - they call these 'horses ears' because that's what they're supposed to look like.

This chopping should take you to the point where the rice is nearly done.

Put one tblsp oil in the frying pan, and stir fry your carrots. Rule of thumb with veggies, hardest take longest to cook, so carrots first. Then decide on corn and peas - if they're frozen they'll need a quick stir fry, if they're tinned they'll need a heat through, if they're fresh they need cooking.

REMOVE CARROTS, PEAS AND SWEETCORN FROM PAN. Rice should be cooked so drain now, leave it warm and draining to one side.

Break your eggs into a bowl and whisk.

Put rest of oil in veggie frying pan and return to heat so it's hot. Now throw chopped garlic in, stir fry quickly, don't let it brown. Now chuck in spring onions - again stir fry until slightly wilted. Then throw cooked, drained, still-warm rice in. Stir fry. The rice may 'pop', don't worry about it. When the rice is well mixed with garlic and onions, create a well in the centre that stretches through to the bottom of the pan and pour in your whisked egg - inotherwords the egg should have contact with the hot pan base. KEEP STIRRING THE EGG. Stir your rice into the egg, folding it into the well. Keep stirring and folding until the whole mixture is coated with egg. It may seem a little greasy, don't worry.

Now throw your previously cooked veggies back into the mix and stir the lot together. If you have a pan with a lid, remove from the heat now, put the lid on and leave it to one side for a few minutes - this will help cook the egg through. If no lid, turn the heat right down to the lowest setting and keep stirring for another three or four mins.

This whole process takes 15 - 20 mins. You can add anything you want to vegetable fried rice, but I find that the simpler it is the better. Indeed, if you weren't trying to bulk it up as a meal for a veggie, I'd said just use rice, spring onions, egg and garlic.

Advertisement