Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iTrip vs. cassette adaptor

• 10-08-2005 11:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭

Just got myself a new car, with a radio / cassette head unit rather than a CD player. Want to listen to my iPod tunes on the go. Which is the best option, this iTrip type solution:
    http://www.everythingipod.co.uk/item--Pod-Gear-Cardock-FM--podgearcardockFM.html
    or an iPod cassette adaptor and car charger kit.
    The costs of both solutions are similar.

Thanks for any advice :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I'd go with the cassette adaptor.
    iTrip results are flakey at best. Sometimes it would work well and other times it just won't pick up the frequency at all. Also in Dublin there is far too much interference and the iTrip just isn't powerful enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

The only advantage the itrip has is that it's wireless, apart from that the sound quality between both is ok, the cassette adapter more consistent, the itrip can work fine and it can be dodgy it's less reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Don't go with an "iPod" cassette adaptor - there's nothing special about them. They all use a standard headphone jack. Peats do a reliable one for 10 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

But the IPOD ones are WHITE long_b ;)

Yeh, don't buy the official IPOD branded ones, they are the exact same as the other ones with a half-eaten apple on them.

Goto Peats or Maplin or somewhere .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.
    The Tunecast II's aren't that fantastic either; the power output is crap, and they eat AAA's if you don't power them from the lighter socket... and if you do power them that way, they "forget" their tuned presets if there's even a momentary interruption to the power supply (even if there are batteries in it too)

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

so which one is the best fm transmitter out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Probably a DIY one.

Something like this maybe http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000083037741/ .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Anyone know of a good place to buy the Belkin Tunecast II?
    how much would they usually cost new?
    €40 on ebay once you take postal insurance and p&p into account seems a little steep...

I'm afraid I don't. However, unlicensed FM transmitters (irrespective of power output) are illegal in this country, I'm told, possibly even in Europe as a whole, so I'm not sure where you'd get one.

Gadget

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

tman wrote:
    Anyone know of a good place to buy the Belkin Tunecast II?
    how much would they usually cost new?
    €40 on ebay once you take postal insurance and p&p into account seems a little steep...

Unless u go to the US and buy one, EBay is your best bet, thats where I got mine. Be sure to buy one with a car power adapter as they munch through batteries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Bought my Belkin Tunecast from this guy on Ebay: 1olemule
    Cost me $3.23 plus postage!

Bought my Belkin Tunecast from this guy on Ebay: 1olemule
    Cost me $3.23 plus postage!

Is that a version I or II?

(AFAIK the version 1's are grey, and only do about five frequencies, whereas the version 2's are sort-of-white and do the full FM band in increments of 0.05 MHz...)

Gadget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Version 1. Picked up a station straight away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I ended up ordering a cassette adaptor plus iPod charger (via car lighter socket) from an English website. The sound quality is really excellent.

Advertisement