Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car 15.5K MAX, Idea's : Megane, 307.

• 10-08-2005 11:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hello there

Recently my mother is buying a new car, I made a thread a long time ago when she announced she was looking for a car but wasn't going to purchase till the end of august / september time. So here goes. Gotta' get out and look for her.

Well originally my 1st idea was a Peugeot 307 1.4 Which is VERY slow looking at the spec's, a 1.6 Woulod be much more ideal but i don't know if a 1600CC engine is too big for her, She is use to Smaller car's as my father always had big car's and she never liked them... But the 307 Is a nice car... Looking for a 15K max ish budget Top spec'd 02-03 Model or newer if it fit's in budget, BUT there is a problem, This car was voted one of the worste car's in the UK, but weather thats a load of crap about how people just treat them or not as laguna's are they same very bad ranked in the UK, yet me father has had no problem with any laguna he had... But i want youre opinions on the 307, What do you's think of it... Here's a few idea's i had in mind
    ( keep in mind we REALLY would like Air con, can't live with out it, Cd player obviously, Alloy's possibly as most car's will have them.. and your basic feature's ) With fairly low milage not too high and color isn't important ( too a certain extent )

Something like this : http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=274083

or : http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=238918

You get my point.

Next Car have in mind is a Megane... 03 is model for same about 15K - 15.5 K Possibly haggle them down a bit...

Preferably looking for a Dynamique Model over the Authentique as the Dynamique comes with all the fancy stuff including Air con, alloy's, And much more... But what are these car's really like ? I love them spec' wise but are they safe to buy,reliability wise as we really do want reliability here also.

I need your opinions on these car's and please mention a few more you's migt think are worth out while checking out.

Here's an example what i had in mind for the megane : http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=260868

If we went for the renault megane we would probably head down to Blanchardstown Renault as it is local to us and will be easy for my mother servicing her car or anyproblem's with it...

thats it for them car's, A few other car's i had on mind was a Seat Leon but not much feature's come with them, nor alloy's or Aircon, Its hard to find them or a Vw Gold Mk3 i think ( 00-03 ) range but they seem pretty basic and overpriced.

But please give your opinions, i need to make the right choice for her,

Thanks,

Hj

EDIT : I cannot believe i for got this, What about an Alfa 147 , are they anywhat decent ? They look stylish and are pretty well spec'd and look well when equiped with Alfa's 17" Alloy wheel's... I think we would defiently go for a 147 but all depends on Reliability.

Hj

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I have driven a Peugeot 307 1.4 hdi for the last 3 years.So far I have clocked up 78k miles and it hasn't given me an ounce of bother.It's the xs model which has a few extras to name rain sensor wipers, auto headlamps alloys etc.
    The one complaint that I have about it is that the suspension is quiet hard and you feel all the bumps on the road (Unlike the german cars which are more solid).

It's a good value for money car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

WOW that's great news. I really wouldn't go by teh Topgear survey... All it takes is a few bad things to happen and nobody like's it. I love the look of it and alot of car's are critisized about there reliability but i won't go by that just yet. Hmm 1.4HDI ? Never knew that engine existed, anyway i mentioned a 1.4Petrol thats meant to be horrid slow, 99mph top speed Which she would do 100 Most of the way up the M1 in the UK when we go over to visit relatives which is where we are at the moment, going home in 2 weeks then to look for car's

What's the speed like on your 1.4HDI ?

Here's a beautiful XS 1.6L petrol which would be perfect but i amn't sure really if 1.6 is practical enough for her... and them alloy's most probably 17" , too Expensive to maintain ?

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=257815 Now i would love that... Gotta' mention that to her, BUT the only problem, we are trying to stay toward's Decent garage's for warantly Issue's if you get me ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

The 1.4 HDI is a common rail diesel engine.Peugeot did a joint venture with ford.The same engine is currently being used in the ford fiesta and fusion.To be honest the overtaking power isn't great but torque on take off is quiet good.I never realised that there was a 1.4 diesel until I went to the dealers to test drive the 2.0 hdi and he asked me if I wanted to try the 1.4 so I did.For fuel economy it's superb.I fill it up for €50 and get between 650-700 miles out of the tank.It really depends on what type of driving you are doing.For city driving you probably woudn't get as much mpg.

It's pretty comfy also and well kitted out.You here lots of complaints about French cars (reliabilty wise) but to be honest from what I hear the Germans aren't far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,270 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You might want to read this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=226309&highlight=megane

This isn't a survey from a magazine, this is a board member's experience.

Also the 307 had a 1.4 75bhp 8 valve petrol engine up until around the middle of 2003, it then got a 1.4 90bhp 16 valve engine which was way more powerful than the old engine.

WOW that thread ( still not finished reading it ) has really set my mind to think differently... I really am considering Avoiding Megane's and Peugeot here. Although i am really disapointed but i had a feeling the 2 car's i picked were probably VERY unreliable :(

Now back to the drawing board's....

1 other thing, people mentioning Alfa's being terrible, What are they like ?

So i really need suggestion's here what to go for...

Any idea's anybody ?

Thanks,

Hj

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

HungryJoe,

If you talk to enough people, you will never buy any car!
    There is a horror story associated with EVERY brand of car.

RE: The megane thread.
    I have a Megane and I am very happy with it. I had a megavan before that, and it was completely trouble free.

I know people who had Fiats and Alfas and they loved them, and enjoyed good reliability.

Likewise, i know people who had awful, awful, trouble with Alfa, Mercedes, Hyundai, Ford, Nissan and Toyota.

Also, between me, my wife, my parents, her parents and our collective siblings I can remember a total of 16 or 17 peugeots. One gave minor trouble cutting out, and bar a handful of quickly resolved problems, they were grand.

So, take what you will from that.

P.S. Sorry if I have confused you even further

WOW jeesshhh now i am even more confused ;)

Anyway thanks for that advice, I would 100% agree with you on there's trouble with every brand of car... I think @ this stage everything to do with renault and almost peugeot these day's, well be casted as Bad... I still have a notch to go ahead with a megane as its not everybody who has trouble's is it...

So still want to know what them 147's are like... Any good, They look very stylish and they are alot more rare and different design.

Any other car's out there worth a look at, but i have to say.. There is no toyota that actually make's me go " oh thats a nice car " nor nissan, There all Depressing looking car's With acceptions for the skyline :rolleyes:

So what ya's think ? Any other car's out there worth a look at. By now i can guess you's know what were after, Stylish ( non-depressing )

Thanks,

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

have u thought about a skoda.... best value for money by a long way.... and they are an excellent car as well.

either the octavia or the fabia. The fabia vRS is a very fast car.....and diesal too - so does about 50Mpg

147 is a great looking car, as you already know.

It is probably one of the best built Alfas you can get (roll on the 159)!

I have driven one or two, and the handling is super. The driving position (as with all modern alfas) is FANTASTIC.

All of which explain why the 147 150Bhp 1.9 MJet Diesel is on my shortlist for my new (1 year old actually) car in January.

147 is a great looking car, as you already know.

It is probably one of the best built Alfas you can get (roll on the 159)!

I have driven one or two, and the handling is super. The driving position (as with all modern alfas) is FANTASTIC.

All of which explain why the 147 150Bhp 1.9 MJet Diesel is on my shortlist for my new (1 year old actually) car in January.

Hopefully Ciarsd will spot this thread soon, he has one.

• Advertisement

jimbling wrote:
    have u thought about a skoda.... best value for money by a long way.... and they are an excellent car as well.

either the octavia or the fabia. The fabia vRS is a very fast car.....and diesal too - so does about 50Mpg

Yes i have actually, But ****ty Dublin on carzone, wait... what i don't understand is when you go to the UK you see all types and models of car's for sale there For eg instead of the places selling loads of Fabia's 1.2L they will sell All type's, I find it hard to find nice car's with a variety of engine's that are decent.

but As for Skoda's , they are amazing value but looking at there spec's, They really are basic unless you find a top spec model which as i said is very hard... Instrested in Octavia and Fabia but there spec's don't please me.

Unless you can show me a nice model with decent spec's Fabia Avoiding there 3 Cylinder 1.2 L engine( on carzone ), Its atrocious... Been in it.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

As Bazz said, if you do go for a 1.4 307 - make sure its the 16v one as the older 8v one was underpowered. Generally 307's are hit and miss although later models seem to have ironed out alot of the electrical problems that the earlier models had.

See attached at the bottom for the latest reliability table

Peugeot have moved up the table recently.

I suppose you can only decide really by test driving all 3.

Check out www.honestjohn.co.uk as well

HungryJoey wrote:
    but As for Skoda's , they are amazing value but looking at there spec's, They really are basic unless you find a top spec model which as i said is very hard... Instrested in Octavia and Fabia but there spec's don't please me.
    Hj

okay hungryjoe... if u go for either of the RS models you get a top of the line car. I have a 01 Octavia vRS. Its a 1.8T with 180Bhp. Does 0-60 in 7.9sec. It has leather interior... air conditioning... monitoring computer etc etc... this all came as standard with this car.

there is a 02 one for sale in the buyandsell at the moment... have a look.
    Not sure about the fabia, but I presume the RS model is the same high spec. May be hard to find one... but Im sure they're out there. Again you may have to travel to get it (I went to galway - from cork - to get my car at a great price).

Well thats all fair and well but my mother isn't going to Drive a 1.8T...

Would nice to get them specs without the 1.8T in a 1.4 or something... See thats my point, you can get all them specs Bar the engine in a 307/megane... If you get me ?

Hj

ah... i see your point....
    when your looking at the 1.4 models etc... then just look for comfort beside it... i think that normally means a lot of the extras....

Meh i think i will just leave skoda's out of the equation for a while, Nothing pushed me about them.

So... still only got my eye on the Megane and 307 but i am still doubting them... Any other suggestions ?

So you think its worth a go too go for a megane or 307 or would you's object...

What about the 147, Golf and Leon... Any experiences of any of them ?

Thanks

Hj

No offense intended, but if he is looking for style, then the colt and civic are non-runners.

HungryJoey, have you test driven any of these cars?

Me personally I would rank them as follows:

1. Alfa 147 -
    Pros: Style, Performance, Interior
    Cons: Depreciation

2. Renault Megane -
    Pros: Looks, Massive amount of extras
    Cons: A bit soft

3. Seat Leon -
    Pros: Looks, Extras, tough
    Cons: Personally I can't bring myself to really like Seat!

4. Ford Focus -
    Pros: Good drive and handling
    Cons: Boring interior and looks

5. Peugeot 307
    Pros: Good specs, great diesel engine, economy
    Cons: Ugly, depreciation

My Two Cents

Well the OP is looking at the 307 and Megane so they are hardly the first images that come to mind when you mention pretty cars are they?

307, Focus, Civic, Colt I see very little difference is the styling, they all have that mpvish look about them imo.

That is why I threw the Colt and Civic in there as they look somewhat similar to the 307 and Megane.

• Advertisement

HungryJoey wrote:
    So what ya's think ? Any other car's out there worth a look at. By now i can guess you's know what were after, Stylish ( non-depressing )

Thanks,

Hj

I think the megane looks fairly good. much nicer than the mini mpvish cars you mention.

I agree about the others looking similar. In fact, I hate the way alot of cars are moving to this MPV styling.
    The 306, Old Civic and Colt were all lovely stylish cars, then they replace them with the current muck!!!!! yuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

how about a corolla?? mazda 3??

I was thinking about suggesting the Mazda 3 too but the OP suggested a budget of around €15k max so you will be hard pushed to find one at that price as they are only available since 2004.

prospect wrote:
    No offense intended, but if he is looking for style, then the colt and civic are non-runners.

HungryJoey, have you test driven any of these cars?

Me personally I would rank them as follows:

1. Alfa 147 -
    Pros: Style, Performance, Interior
    Cons: Depreciation

2. Renault Megane -
    Pros: Looks, Massive amount of extras
    Cons: A bit soft

3. Seat Leon -
    Pros: Looks, Extras, tough
    Cons: Personally I can't bring myself to really like Seat!

4. Ford Focus -
    Pros: Good drive and handling
    Cons: Boring interior and looks

5. Peugeot 307
    Pros: Good specs, great diesel engine, economy
    Cons: Ugly, depreciation

My Two Cents

You got it ;) you must have similar stylin to me... thats exactly what i am after, I agree with youList 1 to 5 but the 307 i think is quite nice..

As far ask the Civic you's suggest, Ick...So un stylish, the Colt isn't so bad but its cheap and Dreab, I know the engines are pretty decent in both of them but still.

Mazda 3 i looked up a while ago, Not a personal favourite but its an average car that isn't yuck but not amazing... But i think i am pushing it As they are a recent car...

Focus ( old model ) I suggested, but something about them my mother doesnt like but i know she would get one if i really told her to and i would for the new model that came in... It makes it look dated, other then that i would of highly recomnended her the focus.

Corolla : My aunty drive's a 1.4 T2 Toyota corolla, one of the basic but new model's and i was shocked of the power of it... For a 1.4L, so i am looking at them but i am also SHOCKED at the price of them... Way over my budget for any of the newer model's... Unless somebody can find 1 for me ? I would love for somebody to, mabe i am looking in the wrong place... I wouldn't mind letting her have a look at one of the newer model corolla's.

As far as depreciation, don't worry about that for now... She's planning on keeping it atleast 2-3 Years...

Hj

bazz26 wrote:
    Well the OP is looking at the 307 and Megane so they are hardly the first images that come to mind when you mention pretty cars are they?

307, Focus, Civic, Colt I see very little difference is the styling, they all have that mpvish look about them imo.

That is why I threw the Colt and Civic in there as they look somewhat similar to the 307 and Megane.

I know where you are coming from, But look at the dash on both of them car's and extra's, If u compare them to other car's they suck.. Yes the Civic's generally come with Air con, but thats about the only attractive thing they have to offer including the look's for the civic, Ugghh.

Ok, last thing i gotta' say here, TBH i am still wravvled with what to get still.

So what i am please asking is for everybody to read here and jsut say there honest opinions on what they would buy for 15K and obviously no Radicilous car's like Mercede's or BMW 8 Series. Mid sized small car's but not too small.

Please just give an honest opinin 1 answer ANYBODY who reads this thread, It will make thing's SO much easier for me to just see what's running in youre mind's, And to hear what you guy's would pick out of ANY car's out there. Last thing i will ask and beg for you's to do ;)

Thanks alot of EVERYTHING so far, Appreciate it.

Hj

EDIT : Sorry about the triple Post, Only realised now :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

What about my 03 Laguna 1.6 with Full House. Im selling to get something with a bigger engine. Offers ?? I am in Dundalk btw.

Very nice car's, my Dad Drives an estate version 1.6L At the moment, How much are you looking for that ?

This one to be exact ;) : http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/1440/imgp16344pj.jpg

And 1 of these baby's ;)

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/3875/imgp17767bd.jpg

< My mum only like's small car's, She cant drive anything big so shes only spending 15 K on a small car for her...

Hj

I'd go for the 147, a JTD multijet if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

HungryJoey wrote:
    Very nice car's, my Dad Drives an estate version 1.6L At the moment, How much are you looking for that ?

This one to be exact ;) : http://img334.imageshack.us/img334/1440/imgp16344pj.jpg

And 1 of these baby's ;)

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/3875/imgp17767bd.jpg

< My mum only like's small car's, She cant drive anything big so shes only spending 15 K on a small car for her...

Hj

Cheers. Im looking for E16K as a minimum. Not really open to offers around that ...

Advertisement