Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how much for an oil change

Options
  • 10-08-2005 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

where is the cheapest place for a simple oil and filter change with semi-synthetic oil in Dublin on a Polo.

Quoted €70 which is too much for a 10 minute job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Sounds about right tbh, oil is gonna cost about €30 & it's about an hours labour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Addendum to this - In the long run would it be cheaper for me to get a proper jack and the tool for removing the cap of the oil reservoir?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

it's a super easy job; oil as perviously mentioned €30, Filter €10, Sump plug washer €0.05

If you can't/don't want to do a DIY job then €70 might not be too bad a price for someone else carry out the messy operation.

PS, a jack isn't really essential. Only tool would be a socket or spanner for the sump plug. If your grip is strong taking off the old filter is easy and tools aren't required.

Yeh Seamus, DIY, its a simple job, to remove the sump bung you just need a spanner & you can get an oil filter wrench/removal tool for a few quid down any motor factors

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@Mailman - did that quote include an oil filter? OEM?
    What type of semi synthetic oil is it? - brand, grade, etc.

@fletch - does your mechanic use his teeth to open the sump nut or what is it that takes him an hour or so? It is a 15 minute job for a mechanic and most of that is spent drinking tea whilst the oil is draining out!

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    @fletch - does your mechanic use his teeth to open the sump nut or what is it that takes him an hour or so? It is a 15 minute job for a mechanic and most of that is spent drinking tea whilst the oil is draining out!
    :D I was including the time waiting for the oil to drain out, disposing of the oil etc. Takes me about an hour anyway by the time I get the car jacked up, tools together etc but sure I suppose a mechanic has all that stuff ready & is prob a lot quicker than I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I find the trickiest bit is positioning the car over the grating in my driveway so the oil comes straight out of the sump and into the drain :D

Just kidding...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

included filter.
    don't know or car about brand as the driver will not be driving the car in such a way to strain the oil's thermal properties.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

aah - I see - the engine will never be cold either then I take it!

It's a Polo ffs. It's not actually like it's a car that you can be affectionate about.
    Just asking as owner has let oil change run over by a couple of thousand miles and is short-sighted enough to be considering cost as a deciding factor as to whether the oil change will be done or not so cost is the only thing that really matters in this case.
    Owner doesn't give a toss about 0W40 or 15W40 or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Mailman wrote:
    owner has let oil change run over by a couple of thousand miles

Pity the poor bugger that undoubtly will buy that car at some stage, and be told it has a been well cared for!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

kbannon wrote:
    @Mailman - did that quote include an oil filter? OEM?
    What type of semi synthetic oil is it? - brand, grade, etc.

Top Geeza Ha Ha!!! No messing with that answer, Change your name to Ronseal dude!!!
    Most mechanics take the piss put of ordinary people!!! Fairplay to ya!!!:)

XpressLube on North Road in Finglas do an oil and filter change on a Polo for €60.

Plust, get this, present voucher from Northside People Free Ads paper and you get a 15% discount(until end of August) reducing cost to €51.

these free-ad papers are great; you can use them to clean the windows, start the fire and they even include money off vouchers, not much in the way of news in them but they try : )

Advertisement