Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

5 grand to buy first car - advice appreciated

Options
  • 10-08-2005 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I’m about to buy my first car. I’ve just turned 25 (male) and have only one year’s named driving experience and have a clean full license since December 2004. My budget is in or around 5 grand depending – I’ll be getting a loan and haven’t looked into it yet but shouldn’t have trouble getting more than that but ideally I wouldn’t like to spend much over the 5k mark.

I’d really appreciated any advice on how to go about it and recommendations on what cars to go for. I’ve been driving a 1.4L and probably wouldn’t put up with anything less than 1.2L, though won’t go over 1.4L for insurance purposes.

So what cars do people recommend? I’d have no problem driving a decent sized car though I’d have a slight preference to a hatchback over a saloon though, to be honest, as long as it’s a decent car I’d be happy enough. So far I’ve been told to stay away from Fiats and Rovers due to reliability issues – any more I should add to that list?

I’ve been advised to go for something Japanese like a Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai or Honda. I really like the look of the Toyota Corolla G6 on this page (blue one 4th from bottom), though I doubt it comes in 1.4L, though that would be my preferred style (sleek but not boy racer style) if I had a choice. I also like Nissan Almeras and Renault Meganes – any thoughts?

http://search.autotrader.ie/cgi-bin/search?locale=atie.CARS.1&country=IE&orderby=neg_price&currency=EUR&make_id_EQI=Toyota&model_EQS=Corolla&specified_price_GT=5000&specified_price_LT=6000&county_list=3_4_5_6_7_10_11_12_13_14_15_16_18_19_20_21_22_23_24_25_26_28_29_30_31_32&x=61&y=9

Do car dealers give any guarantees on their used cars and if so does this merit the increased price over buying privately due to less risk.

Also, has anyone any experience of buying at a car auction?

Sorry for all the questions but I’m a bit lost on this until my mechanic mate gets back from holidays so any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

are you lookin for a saloon or a hatchback? I've a saloon, & im looking to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hi,

I'm not set on it one way or the other - if you give me more details and preferably some pictures I'll let you know if I'm interested. I'm in Dublin.

PM me if you're not supposed to post details of items for sale here.

Details I'd be looking for:
    Make, model, year.
    Mileage
    Engine Size
    Colour
    Asking price
    Details of spec: Does it have Electric windows and mirror, sunroof, Aircon, power steering, remote central locking, alarm, immobilser etc?
    Number of previous owners?
    Service and incident history

Thanks,
    Grimesy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 eoinb

I’ve been advised to go for something Japanese like a Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai or Honda.

Hyundai are korean.

That is good advice, the japanese make the most reliable cars- especially Honda and Toyota. The last thing you need with a second hand car is it to break down, as you don't have the same warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Try playing with some insurance quotes on www.quinn-direct.com
    I found I could insure a 1.6 for very little more than a 1.3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭ffocused

If you want to go japanese, you should go for a civic. Plenty around for the money you have and if you get a jap import over an irish one, you will have a speedo in km/h. :)
    However i would recommend you to go for an opel astra. Reliable enough and you should get a 98/99 one for round 5k if you look hard enough. (outside dublin).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭thatkindofgirl

You'll get a 98/99 Micra import for that. It's a 1l engine so cheap as anything to run, tax and insure. I know you said you wouldn't like anything below a 1.2, but because the car is so small, that makes up for the small engine.

I just got one last month and I love it! Contrary to what people were saying, it's super comfortable (I have a long drive) and has loads of pep for overtaking.

I got a jap import and it has Aircon (which is brilliant on sunny evenings when the car has been roasting all day in the sun), electric everything, power steering, central locking etc. Plus, as someone mentionned, the Speedometre is in km/h which makes it really simple.

Oh -- and japanese imports have fantastic mileage. Mine had less than 60,000 kms (and it's 7 years old). The boot looked like it had never been opened.

That said, I've had a corrolla before and it was fabulous -- very reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 eoinb

ffocused wrote:
    If you want to go japanese, you should go for a civic. Plenty around for the money you have and if you get a jap import over an irish one, you will have a speedo in km/h. :)
    However i would recommend you to go for an opel astra. Reliable enough and you should get a 98/99 one for round 5k if you look hard enough. (outside dublin).

Avoid the astra, the late 90 models were rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i'm sellin mine ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Would you consider a classic car? For 5k you'll buy something with a bit of style that will be easily serviced and very cheap to run. If you buy a car more than 30 years old you can also ignore considerations like engine size, tax and to a certain extent, insurance.

Here's the plusses:
    don't depreciate like modern cars
    are generally cheaper to service
    €42 tax, regardless of engine size
    low insurance, depending on mileage
    Very cheap BIK, if it's a company car.
    Eco-friendly - reusing an old car instead of making a new one is the ultimate in recycling.
    Style

Minusses:
    Older technology not as reliable as modern
    Worse fuel economy
    Rust
    Safety - you're unlike to find ABS or Airbags in a 30 y.o. car.

Most of the minusses can be managed.

Nice examples for a first car in that price range would be the Mini, Rover P6, 1972 BMW 520, Renault 16, Reliant Scimitar, VW Scirocco.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a mate who's brother works in a car dealers and mentioned he had a 99 Astra he could give me for 3.5k. No details so far - but what's 'wrong' with late 90s Astras?

Interesting idea but I don't think I'd be on for a classic car at the moment - would look forward to it in the future though.

I've come across this Alfa Romeo 146 and I have to say I love it:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=275991

I’ve also found another 146 with 36k mileage (will ask if timing belt has been changed yet – sounds like its due now) that looks like I could get it for around 4k. I love the look of these cars and it’d feel a bit luxurious but what is the reliability like on the 146 – I’ve seen the threads on the 156 but no mention of the 146?

Both of these are 1.4L and due to the crazy insurance quotes I’ve gotten so far (ranging from 1.6k to 3k for a 1.4L Toyota Corolla) I doubt I’d go 1.6L, though I haven’t done much shopping around yet. Not too pushed on speed but just don’t want something that feels sluggish – whats the 1.4 146 like?

Will talk to my mechanic friend and no doubt he’ll put me off the Alfa cos of reliability concerns but have to say I am tempted – any opinions on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

eoinb wrote:
    Avoid the astra, the late 90 models were rubbish.

agreed - you'll want to go 01 and up to rid yourself of those gremlins

Does anyone have any experience with an Alfa Romeo 146? Should I start a separate thread on that or would that be opening a can of worms?

I see 'new timing belt' popping up in a good few Alfa ads so it must be an issue but I figure that if I go with one that has had this replaced quite recently it could be a good bet, or else bargain down the price of one to ensure it allows for imminent replacing of the timing belt.

Love the look of this car so am very tempted but I just want to hear from people that have had one or know people that did and how they got on first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

i've a 99 astra. havent had any problems with it, big sluggish at times but thats about it. due a servicing soon so that might alleviate that a bit. what exactly are ye saying is "wrong" with late 90's astras?

i know when i was looking i was looking at Alfa 147 and 156 but was warned off em cause of the issues with timing belts etc but never heard anything bad about the astra except it hadnt the best pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Theres a history of head gasket problems with the late 90's models of astras. Indeed, I know of two friends of mine with two seperate astras. One a 99, the other a 00. Both of their engines gave up on them a few months into their new lives. One was a repair, the other was a dead duck.

Advertisement