Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart telecom help needed!

• 10-08-2005 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭

hi,
    I have been signed up to get smart broadband since Feb, were told then that wed get it in May. But were still waiting and its the middle of August. Were on the Dennehys Cross exchange and the latest thing we were told is that it would go live last week but no joy. Can anyone tell me something? is work even being done? I assume Garfield would be the guy to tell me!

Also We bought a Sweex modem router a month or two ago in anticipation of getting this. But i found out they supply a modem. So can we still use the Sweex one? will they have to be hooked together. They said they wont supply support for this router but if at least know it will work then could prob figure it out myself. Anything anyone could tell me would be deeply appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

bingo9999 wrote:
    I assume Garfield would be the guy to tell me!

Correct

bingo9999 wrote:
    They said they wont supply support for this router

Not a major problem. When you get the Smart router, configure it and make sure everything works. Then pack it away. Now, hook up and configure your new modem and configure it.

If you ever have a problem on the line, simply unplug your new modem and plug in the smart modem. If things work ok, it's your new modem and you have to fix it yourself. If things don't work, get onto Smart support.

Simple but sorta messy when you have to get support from Smart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭bingo9999

thanks alot, feel very reassured about the purhase of the router now.
    thanks a million :) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

as long as its an adsl2+ and not adsl only router.
    also, the latest prediction from garfield put denehys cross live towards the end of the 3rd week of august, round about another 2 weeks from now

There are extension works occuring on the exchanges doorsteps, due to redevelopment of the plot of land in front of the exchange so its hard to see if there is any digging from smart going on, but i assume any such work may be made easier due to existing groundworks being carried out around the exchanges location.

Anyways, i too am on that exchange and will be waiting on various updates about it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bingo9999 wrote:
    hi,
    .............Also We bought a Sweex modem router a month or two ago in anticipation of getting this. But i found out they supply a modem. So can we still use the Sweex one? will they have to be hooked together. They said they wont supply support for this router but if at least know it will work then could prob figure it out myself. Anything anyone could tell me would be deeply appreciated.

As mentioned above Smart use adsl2 so your router/modem would need to support this. Looking at the
    Sweex site there is no mention of adsl2 so maybe you should email their support or think about returning the router modem if you can. Netgear and Linksys have adsl2 products.

No isp will support a modem or router that they do not supply there are just too many of them out there.

I dont think i see anything about adsl2 on the manual. its a wireless adsl 11G modem/ router annex -A/b +4 port 10/100 switch. If that means anything to you but i think its not adsl2+. thats crap. My dad(im only 18) went into the shop and asked for a router and they said this would suit him but i guess not.
    Thanks for all your interest and help, seriously appreciated

• Advertisement

to be blunt, most 'reps' wouldnt know the difference between them, and would sell you the one which gets them good commision lol,

Id say your right there! Seeing as I have been registered for so long when the area goes live will there still be 10 days or whatever it is waiting period to actually get the broadband? With eircom messing around it could be more but is there a way to have the admin taken care of while waiting for the exchange?
    Is there forms or anything that can be done to get rid of eircom and their delays in the mean time? If possible I'd like to have phone and internet until the go live but if i have to go without it id rather it now than when the exchange is ready.

And as a matter of interest is the exchange that concrete building near the pres playing fields/ park and ride?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bingo9999 wrote:
    Id say your right there! Seeing as I have been registered for so long when the area goes live will there still be 10 days or whatever it is waiting period to actually get the broadband? With eircom messing around it could be more but is there a way to have the admin taken care of while waiting for the exchange?
    Is there forms or anything that can be done to get rid of eircom and their delays in the mean time? If possible I'd like to have phone and internet until the go live but if i have to go without it id rather it now than when the exchange is ready.

And as a matter of interest is the exchange that concrete building near the pres playing fields/ park and ride?

It is virtually impossible to avoid a minimum of a 12 working days delay in getting Smart switched on. If you your telephony rental with someone else bring it back to eircom as you cannot go to smart without this being done. and you will need to cancel your current bb contract as well and get the terminaton number. remember that isps require a months notice to cancel bb and it can take longer for the line to be deemed clear of the bb.

im currently on dial-up with eircom and the phone is with them too. As far as I know my dad has cancelled something with indigo, possibly the e-mail thing but is that all thats necessary? If there is no way to avoid the wait thats fine.
    Thank you

so you have telephone, line-rental and dial-up internet with Eircom. in this case, you dont need to do anything with eircom, just order direct from smart after the exchange is live, and your line will be activated within 10 working days of their receipt of your direct-debit order. Up to 30 minutes downtime i think.

Alos, the exchange is the one behind behind all those billboards on wilton road, below those purple apartments, above farranlea road, and currently has the ground dug up in front, its green and grey, with antennae on top, possibly with one or 2 eircom vans hanging about lol.

• Advertisement

Always good to get some good news! Thats pretty cool about the exchange cos i live near there. Should pop over and sort it myself!
    Thanks alot, your help is really really appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Tok

Can anyone help me on this. Like bingo I have been signed up wiht smart for a long long time. Is the Ballyboden exchage ever going to open and if soon has anyone got a better answer than" before October... hopeful"

Any help would be great

Thanks

Tok

Any update on these dates? It's the third week of August now so hopefully it should be a matter of days. Oh man i'm dying without it!

Advertisement