Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argh!!!!

Options
  • 10-08-2005 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭

right then,

as you guys know I have just bought myself a new rig and I have to admit I need some confirmation on what I think is wrong with it.

I built the system up yesterday with my Antec Phantom 350 PSU,
    for you who didn't read my last thread, the PC consists of the following.
    Intel Pentium D 830
    Gigabyte GA81955X Pro Mobo
    Ati Radeon X800XL 512MB Graphics.
    (at the moment) 1 Maxtor 250 GB ATA HDD.
    1 DVD Drive and one writer
    1 D-link 530+ Wifi card.

I got it to POST fine and started the install of XP on the machine with no problems, it went through the drive formatting and copying files part without a hitch, but when the restart came, it froze just before the windows XP startup Logo appeared, and on restart it frequently did this.
    then when I entered the XP CD again and rebooted, I decided not to press anything when the 'press any key to boot from CD' thing came up, and the system froze again and I got 4 graphical faults on the screen (funny symbols and random places of the screen)

the HDD, memory and everything else is fine, but I have come to the conclusion, that it is either PSU not been able to handle the power for the Graphics card (I presume when the Windows loading screen comes on, the GPU take a full suck of power to start up) or the Graphics card is borked

Ideas would be welcome.

cheers

btw, have ust ordered a new PSU (Phantom 500) as it is faster to buy a new one then to send the Graphics card in for replacement with Komplett

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Gilgamesh wrote:
    or the Graphics card is borked.

Ahhh...a "borked" card, that can really mess up a sweet rig.

[Removed very Unecessary Comment, spelling & grammar were perfectly fine for the forum.... were not english teachers]

Anyway, funny sounding problem, did you try the microsoft knowledge base?

I don't know much about Gigabyte MoBos im afraid, just that I wouldn;t be tempted to buy one.

Anyway, someone who knows what they are talking about might chime in and give their two cents...

[Try to refrain from spelling/grammar comments unless its very bad, i for one wouldnt be the best and like the original poster wouldnt like comments to be made about it - Helpfull critisim only please. Col]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I'd go with the psu not being able to deliver enough juice to the parts.
    Try a different (higher wattage) psu or wait for your new one to arrive.

(Excuse my spelling)

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

DirkVoodoo wrote:

Seriously, spend the extra 30 seconds or so to check grammar/spelling, my head is aching after reading that post. Or use a spellchecker (I have never had to use one, naturally I spell prefectly) :D

Anyway, funny sounding problem, did you try the microsoft knowledge base?

I don't know much about Gigabyte MoBos im afraid, just that I wouldn;t be tempted to buy one.

Anyway, someone who knows what they are talking about might chime in and give their two cents...

Also the MS KB does not help on this matter as I have checked already, the Software is fine, as it works on other systems, I have running.

Also I am not interested if you would buy a gigabyte board or not, you could have posted that in another thread.

so.......

have a nice day :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

DirkVoodoo wrote:

I think that was the idea when posting to a computer forum, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

remove all IDE /SATA drives except the one with the OS on it, see if it makes any difference
    Also see if you can get to safe mode, its less graphically intensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

I would say that a 350W would seriously struggle with that rig. The 500W should be grand. I'd say once you get some kinda of display, the card itself is ok, just when it looks for the power, its not there. Check a higher W PSU if you can get your hands on one.

thanks for the info guys,
    GreeBo, I have even only had the one HDD without any other cards except for the Graphics card in it, but same issue.
    the problem is that the OS is still stuck in the Setup process, you know, after it has formatted the drive, copied the files and then reboots, that's where it sticks, so no go with the safe mode
    I ordered the new PSU from Overclock, and was lucky to get the last one, so it will be here tomorrow.
    fingers crossed it's the only issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

DirkVoodoo wrote:

Seriously, spend the extra 30 seconds or so to check grammar/spelling, my head is aching after reading that post. Or use a spellchecker (I have never had to use one, naturally I spell prefectly) :D

Bork.

Seriously, GSSS (the extra S is for slang). People use the word bork all the time - I am a spelling/grammar nazi, but even I use the word bork.

Back to the topic at hand: It sounds more like a borked WinXP CD.
    I'm only running a 350W PSU (granted, I'm running an Athlon64 3000+ and a 6600GT GFX card, but at one point I had half a dozen drives connected to it) and it runs perfectly.
    You are correct however - the power usage jumps as soon as it hits the WinXP splash screen. Hope the new PSU sorts things....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Sounds like a power issue. I think someone mentioned before that that PSU might be a little weak for that system.

Anyway, once you try a more powerful PSU you can see if it's a card issue, but I doubt it.

Good luck with the rest of the build/install.

DirkVoodoo, your own post was not without spelling and grammar errors. Yes, I am a Grammar Nazi.

<edit>@Malafus: the install is hard-disk based after the files have been copied over. It would have failed before then had the disk been corrupt.</edit>

thanks again for the info.
    Malafus, I am sure that it isn't the Windows XP CD as I have used this CD several times before without a problem and even tried it then and there on another machine, no probs.

From what I have heard the Pentium Ds take WAY more power than the Athlons and other P4s, My PC before this onw had tons of Drives and stuff and a X800Pro, running with this PSU no problems at all.

will see tomorrow I guess

• Advertisement

DirkVoodoo wrote:
    Anywho, what sort of spelling/grammar nazi would prefer "Broked" to "Borked"? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Punch i the spec here and see what you get but i reckon its well under power caus the x800xl 256mb needs 90watts.

Nukem

you are completely right Nukem, thanks a mil for that site,
    342 Watts OMG

I have figured the max the PSU I have at the moment is 288 Watts, given that the efficiency of it is at 84%, or somethign around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Malafus wrote:
    Bork.

Seriously, GSSS (the extra S is for slang). People use the word bork all the time - I am a spelling/grammar nazi, but even I use the word bork.

"b0rk" is a tehnical term. It has a very onomatopoeic quality.

*b0rk*

DirkVoodoo: that was a truly pitiable attempt to cover up your lack of common "techie" terminology. As Col_Loki so eloquently put it: "were not english teachers".

Delicious.

Nukem: I've an MSI x800XL 256meg (stock), no additional PCIe power connector. A 16x physical slot can supply around 72W iirc which is obviously sufficient for the gpu. I've seen some x800XLs with the additional power connector, but it's largely unncessary and just there partly for show and partly to aid in stability when overcloaking* the card. I think the quoted x800XL consumption at 400core/480mem is about 65W or so, which isn't excessive really when comparing the die characteristics to that of a modern 90nm cpu.

On-Topic:
    Gilgamesh, spend 70euro and get the 400W Fortron on Komplett.
    Here I am assuming that your motherboard is a 24-pin ATX v2.03 board.

* another "techie" soubriquet intended to bring a little smile into an oft-frustrating and rage-inducing pass-time or occupation.

Or any of these BeQuiet ones are very nice
    I have the 470 and its silent and has bucket load of extra connectors for everything from SATA to 3 pin fans (which it temperature controls!) and a dedictated power supply for your GPU that removes spikes.
    The silence compared to the QTec "thing" I had earlier is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

SyxPak wrote:
    I've an MSI x800XL 256meg (stock), no additional PCIe power connector. A 16x physical slot can supply around 72W
    [/size]

Ya iv seen and read reports that they usually dont use over 75w unless pushed and iv read reports that they can push up to 110w. Its recommends on some at least a 300-350w PSU and thats the peak wattage usually so you could walk on the wild side but i wouldn't. Got a 520w Modstream so oodles of power

thanks for the inof Syx, I have got myself the new version of my old PSU, the Phantom 500, because it is extremely energy efficient in comparison.
    I still have a couple of harddrives and a different soundcard coming in the next few weeks so I don't want to run my PSU under strain, so the 500 W should be more than adequate.
    PSU coming today, so will let you know later tonight about how it went

and, yes, the new board is ATX 2.03 with 24 pins

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

have u tried to boot up with a different graphics card??? Could maybe be memory settings also, i had a similiar problem myself before and it turned out to be memory settings issue in bios

thanks for the info Gline,

I actually got the machine working yesterday, allthough it wasn't just a power issue, I also had problems afterwards that windows kept rebooting the machine when it came to the agp440.sys file.
    I then used the windows recovery console and disabled the loading of it and now it is working fine.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

now off to benchmarking and playing this weekend

Gilgamesh wrote:
    thanks for the info Gline,

I actually got the machine working yesterday, allthough it wasn't just a power issue, I also had problems afterwards that windows kept rebooting the machine when it came to the agp440.sys file.
    I then used the windows recovery console and disabled the loading of it and now it is working fine.

Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated.

now off to benchmarking and playing this weekend

good to hear u got it working, so are u using the new psu? or the 350w one?

• Advertisement

am using the 500 watt one, as I forked out a bundle for it, but can HIGHLY recommend it, if someone wants a server class PSU which runs without a noise

Gilgamesh wrote:
    am using the 500 wat one, as I forked out a bundle for it, but can HIGHLY recommend it, if someone wants a server class PSU which runs without a noise

what psu would u recommend, for a 3200 (skt 754)@ 2.4/2.6, it will have about 8 hdds, cdrw, and crappy gpu????

probably needs to be 500watt and silent, but i only wana spend about 60-70 (is this possible)??

gline wrote:
    what psu would u recommend, for a 3200 (skt 754)@ 2.4/2.6, it will have about 8 hdds, cdrw, and crappy gpu????

probably needs to be 500watt and silent, but i only wana spend about 60-70 (is this possible)??

man, haven't you learned from your recent experience, not to be cheap about a good PSU ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Glad you got it sorted Gilgamesh.

gline, don't skimp on your PSU!!!

Gilgamesh wrote:
    man, haven't you learned from your recent experience, not to be cheap about a good PSU ;)

My "last experience" had an antec 550watt in it , 150euros , hardly cheap and it didnt cause the fire, lol

WizZard wrote:
    Glad you got it sorted Gilgamesh.

gline, don't skimp on your PSU!!!

well its for a 3rd pc so i dont wana pump crazy money into it

gline wrote:
    well its for a 3rd pc so i dont wana pump crazy money into it

plug it into the PSU from the other machine then ROFL.

personally I have always had good experience with the Antec PSUs, might be worth having a look

Gilgamesh wrote:
    plug it into the PSU from the other machine then ROFL.

personally I have always had good experience with the Antec PSUs, might be worth having a look

no im not going to do that.. my burnt pc should be up and running soon, waiting for ati to rma the card, i have sent it back to them last week.

at the moment the socket 754 is running on a fortran 350watt with 5 hdds in it at the moment and all is fine, never had 1 problem

Advertisement