Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magic Numbers walk out on TOTP

Options
  • 10-08-2005 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

From NME.com. This made me laugh, though I do empathise.

THE MAGIC NUMBERS walked out on their debut appearance on TOP OF THE POPS - claiming one of the presenters made “derogatory, unfunny remarks”.

The band decided not to perform on the show after becoming angered by alleged comments by guest presenter Richard Bacon.

A statement issued by the band reads: “We would like to apologise to anyone who was disappointed by our non-appearance on TOTP on Sunday. (Believe us we were disappointed too).

”Due to derogatory, unfunny remarks made during the guest presenter's introduction to our performance, we felt we had to make a stand and leave. It was an important day for us and should have been special. We didn't take this decision lightly but we stand by it.”

The band were left fuming when they thought Bacon was making a joke about their weight.

A BBC spokesman admitted that Bacon used the word "fat", but claimed it was as a "figure of speech referring to the band's status".

He said: "It was absolutely in no way referring the appearance of any of the band members. Richard was mortified about the misunderstanding and any offence caused so he attempted to apologise personally to the band.

"However, their management denied him access to the band and they decided not to go ahead with their performance on the show."

Since the show moved to a BBC2 slot on Sunday evenings, its audience has fallen significantly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭scarfacemj

I'd be more pissed off if it was used in the context 'phat'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭spiderlegs

But they are rather on the large side!!! That's part of the charm , they sound like sweet little angels but they certainly don't look like 'em!!

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭skregs

the sweet little angels live in their bellies. what was it he called em, a fat melting pot i think.

I'd call them sh1te in all honesty greg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

a fat melting pot... sounds like a fatfighters meeting.... bitty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I think they're great big smiley people.The drummer isn't fat maybe they should take turns playing the drums

I think they're great big smiley people.The drummer isn't fat maybe they should take turns playing the drums
    :D
    Or maybe develop a smack habbit, that always seems to do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Claire_bear

there more like over sized cherubs ... and there not sh1te they're eh,very good (for lack of a better term) now im off to partay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Oh well look who has a fabulous social life!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

does it matter what weight they are really? no and they are becoming quite popular so i think the fat/phat comments should be kept to a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭nonemoreblack

Best move they could have made if you ask me. No one watches the program anymore so they probably got more publicity by walking out than they could have hoped for. As for the presenters bacon and that Fern bird seem to know f@ck all about music, a couple of dumb airheads.

Bad move in my opinion. Never really thought about their weight, not that it matters or anything, but the public might make it stick now. shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Anyone got a picture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

yes

. As for the presenters bacon and that Fern bird seem to know f@ck all about music, a couple of dumb airheads.
    if no one watches it how come you know the presenters names???

spiderlegs wrote:
    Oh well look who has a fabulous social life!! :rolleyes:
    i wouldnt say fabulous .. id say, em, well fabulous :D

HEHE! Yeah well so's mine... :)

i know ive heard stories!(only joking)

Gasp! :rolleyes:

Advertisement