Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Books about dance/electronica

• 10-08-2005 4:05pm

Any read Simon Reynold's 'Energy Flash'? Good read, if a bit heavy in places. Certainly traces the history of dance pretty closely.

Then there's the Guinness Book of Rap, Dance and Techno, which is just an encyclopedia of various acts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

Laurent Garnier wrote a book as well! I didnt read it yet but apparently it s brilliant. i dont know if he released it in english as well because the original is obviously in french but it s an autobiography retracing his carrer at the early times of house and techno, when it was really underground... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

energy flash is a great read!

there's also "all crew muss big up" by brian belle fortune, its about the birth of drum and bass and keeps going well past where enrgy flash leaves off....

altered state by matthew collins was a wicked one as well.... lots on the birth of disco then house and techno and electro to rave and hardcore and jungle well written and not as academic as reynolds...

bill brewsters "last night a dj saved my life" rocks too, its basically a history of dj's and the idea of playing records to an audience... very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

"Bleedin' Rapid" by Anthony 'Anto' Reilly is very good on the roots of the dance/rave scene in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

I was given a great book called "The Crazy Days Of Acid House and After" by a mate for my birthday last year. You could probably track it down on Amazon or some such site. It's a hoot and a half I can tell ya! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Any read Simon Reynold's 'Energy Flash'? Good read, if a bit heavy in places. Certainly traces the history of dance pretty closely.

Then there's the Guinness Book of Rap, Dance and Techno, which is just an encyclopedia of various acts.

I like your sig btw Conor isn't that off the cover of FSOL's Lifeforms?

Do you have to pay to do that?

• Advertisement

Giles wrote:
    I was given a great book called "The Crazy Days Of Acid House and After" by a mate for my birthday last year. You could probably track it down on Amazon or some such site. It's a hoot and a half I can tell ya! :p

Got it. Was trying to think of the name. Not so much a study of dance as a collection of photos and memories, copies of flyers, snippets from the news about dance and drugs in the late 80s and early 90s etc. etc. Some good stuff in there alright, althouhg the author has a fixation with some permanent fixture on the English rave scene called Anton Le Pirate.
    Giles wrote:
    I like your sig btw Conor isn't that off the cover of FSOL's Lifeforms?

Do you have to pay to do that?

Nah, just searched under FSOL in Google images and then copied the address into the signature section of my profile here. It could be a total breach of copyright of course, but remember the KLA... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

think he meant did you have to pay on here to have a sig.... sig rules are quite strict on boards.ie because so many users use dialup.. this being ireland and all... go to www.dogsonacid.com on dialup and see how long a decent sized thread takes to download and you'll figure out why lol!

think he meant did you have to pay on here to have a sig.... sig rules are quite strict on boards.ie because so many users use dialup.. this being ireland and all... go to www.dogsonacid.com on dialup and see how long a decent sized thread takes to download and you'll figure out why lol!

I'm on dialup myself, and I appreciate that it can take time for some signatures to get through the system. Was wondering why I had such limited access to avatars though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Class of 88 The True Acid House Experience is one of,if not the best ever book about the Rave scene,amazing book,available to download here(im too good to you people) :D

http://www.oldskoolvibe.com/edd/Class_of_88_original_paperback_book_2.pdf

jonny68 wrote:
    (im too good to you people) :D [/url]

You are indeed too good.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,585 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Adventures in Clubland

Great book, cant remember the author though.

Advertisement