Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glxv

• 10-08-2005 4:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Well the thread has to start sometime...

So GLXV, when are we talking about? Will there be a GLXIV1/2 as a mini lan for a few L337's? keep the numbers small. No N00bs? Not much organisation required.

Anyway GLXV, what are we talking about Doodee, Syxpak and Asok? Did I hear mention of a September date? I'll be heading into final year along with Doodee (not together) so after september we should be pretty busy... well at least I will be!!

To all you n00bs out there check out www.purepwnage.com

To all you n00bs out there I challenge you!

Off topic Did you hear of the Korean who died from playing starcraft for over 50hrs... lets not let Glan get that long??? 48hrs... For **** sake we should have that in our waiver... We accept no responsibility for n00bs that can't handle gaming.

Sniipe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That's covered under our "Bring a sleeping bag" clause. If someone dies from exhaustion I'll use Darwin's Theory of Evolution as my sole line of defence in the court trial.

If you can Rory, hop into #galwaylan some evening and we'll get a few heads together about it. I mentioned end of October as being a possible date. Yourself and JP can chill, I'll pull my finger out and give ye a breather in you're crucial year ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Sniipe wrote:
    Off topic Did you hear of the Korean who died from playing starcraft for over 50hrs... lets not let Glan get that long??? 48hrs... For **** sake we should have that in our waiver... We accept no responsibility for n00bs that can't handle gaming.

Pfff, all us 1337 gamers play for at least 2 days straight every Galwaylan. GG lol bye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I ment I really wanted to go, ah don't pull me off the lineup!!!

You heard him, banned. I mean...what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Get a net connection for this one so that I can play WoW when i get bored of owning you all.

• Advertisement

Are you for real Drake? That sucks!!! Net connection was at the last one. GLAN by defination is Galway LAN (L stands for LOCAL). The only reason net connection should be needed is for downloading patches and steam. There will be no online playing as long as I can help it! MUhahaha! (no but, yeah, but I mean,....)

I will be getting my second machine soon for Dublin so I can praccy. I'll be mostly learning UT2K4 and Q3!!! I will pwn for sure, yah!

The only thing stopping me from controlling the tube connecting the lan to the net is finding wireless and pcmcia drivers for smoothwall.
    An alternative is to somehow use ordinary wired ethernet to link the lan to the net connection in the hotel.

There will be no WoW at any future lans. It is a cancer and I will cut it out with a rusty spoon. As Rory said the net connection is there to make using the LAN itself easier, not as an alternative.

The last lan was largely agreed to have been below par.
    I know this. Most of the regulars know this.
    I am pissed off at myself for letting ye down.

But now we have battlefield 2 so all is right with the world again.

Sniipe wrote:
    I will be getting my second machine soon for Dublin so I can praccy. I'll be mostly learning UT2K4 and Q3!!! I will pwn for sure, yah!

Irish q3 is dead. UT2K4 sucks, but there is a community. Only one proper game with an irish community anymore, and that's qw, but you're too noobish for that (lololol) ;) .

*cough* BF2 *cough*

*cough* WoW *cough*

*cough* NwN *cough* - well, it was popular until WoW came along

*cough* Solitaire TDMCTFPro *cough*

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    There will be no WoW at any future lans. It is a cancer and I will cut it out with a rusty spoon.
    Spoken by a true man who's never played WoW ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Fobia wrote:
    UT2K4 sucks.
    you will burn!!!!

I am actually shocked?!? How has QW gotten a bigger player base than Q3 or UT2K4? Really, haven't u seen the graphics you play off?

Sniipe, Graphics != Gameplay. One of the Cardinal rules of gaming.
    Another being "Alan pleasures syphillitic goats"....

And how does Syxpak know what Drake gets up to?

And; methinks that this is the way it is UT2K4 > Q3 > QW (it just so happens that the top ones have btr graphics).

Anyway on Topic;

Short of getting a few girls into GLan what can we do to make it better?? Screw that, how do we get girl gamers into glan? Shouldn't they get preference interms of seats...oh I forgot ... they also suck at games!!!

no but yeah, on topic;

The intaweb site is now up on stewie (cause Binary never was an option.... haha!). So what does that mean? It means that there is an easy way to organise the event by the admins. All we need to know before hand is what the main tournaments are going to be. I reckon have 4 main tournaments. This way we get to have fun in between and play seriously at scheduled times. The site should also have the latest game patches (a link probably to binary) It will also have the latest anti-virus software...erm (You should not log onto the network if u haven't done an up-todate virus test - so I guess u will have to burn this proggy to get into the lan). The site will also take your email addresses. These email addresses will only be used by the admins to announce the next lan.

I recommend that we annonce (this time) 4 or 5 days before we put the lan on room101 the date of the lan. (does that make sense?) That way people will know when the signup will start for the lan.

I've not got a clue how to organise any game besides UT2K4 and CS (although I need to swat up on the commands) so by the next lan I'll learn how to do those two and Q3 (when is Q4 coming out?) I presume that syxpak knows BF2 inside and out??? The other games are handy enough to configure.

Anyway, I hope this will spark some conversation!!!

Battlefield 2 :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

coughwarcraftcough

wanna play bf2 myself mm

'There are 10 different types of people in the world. Those that understand binary and those that don't!'

i find this particularly amusing.

THaTS OnLY TWo TYPeS MoRON

Ok, for those that don't understand *Cough*Drake*Cough* 10 in binary is 2 :D
    Its a toss up for me about what rts we should really push. Warcraft III is a great game but is slightly dated in terms of what else is there ie DOW. Then there is C&C Zero hour!!! Don't know if this is as popular

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I dont see what the harm is in people playing what they want. I do control the internet at the lans anyways :D

I have a couple of ideas for the next lan, It should also be easier for me to go home to galway since both my sisters are now driving so a lift can be scabbed for the weekend.
    For the next lan the same structure shall be in place (Signing in and virus scanning before network connectivity) But we will concentrate more on tournies. Also, As regards leeching, we might adopt the darkside view on it and only have it open after its dark outside.

Expect MArioKart DD and more Xbox related games on the projector.

I'm also wondering if a BF2 comp with a cash prize would work...

• Advertisement

just a query; how would a bf2 comp work? Teams or individuals? how big would the teams be? I'm interested. Mariokart and xbox games sound fun if they are easy to use games that no one has mastered!!!

/me shines thumbs on lapel...

Mastered you say?

JP: Yeah, gindo.

BF2 compo would require a bit of organisation.

If people on the waiting list would wake the fúck up and take notice of the link pointing towards these forums. At least then running polls and threads relating to "What games do you want to play" might have a purpose.
    Of course, the argument can easily be made that I haven't put a dedicated GalwayLAN forum up or done much work on www.galwaylan.net / .com
    I'm rather busy in work, and the past few weeks have been hectic, but I'm finally getting my arse in gear with regards that. Myself and Rory have made a bit of a shortlist of CMSs (Content Management Systems) and I can test them out on binary. Whichever we go with will then be configured on the internet website, and we should then have something akin to Darkside's website -including forums.
    I'd ideally like to add in an extra information requirement for people registering on these soon-to-be forums, something along the lines of MAC address and desired hostname.
    That way the system I tried to instigate last year (MAC-based DHCP+DNS configuration) should actually work effectively (the system did and does work, we're actually using a similar system in work right now) and will then allow people to plug into the network (having ran a virus scan and had it verified by the organisers).
    This will also have the advantage of being able to browse/connect to machines by hostname instead of IP address, and these should remain constant and locked between events.
    We'll move the network to 192.168.0.0/24 which allows for 16384 nodes, more than enough for our present needs smile.gif

SyxPak wrote:
    I'm rather busy in work

Hahahahahahahahaha.Ha.
    Sniipe wrote:
    And; methinks that this is the way it is UT2K4 > Q3 > QW (it just so happens that the top ones have btr graphics).

For newbies, this is indeed the case. Once you begin to master movement and weapon control in q3 that becomes a better game than UT2k4, and once you learn to bunny hop and start to understand how complex the tactics are qw becomes a better game than q3. But I understand how you came up with that list from your standpoint...

Also, the graphics statement is wrong, qw currently has better graphics than q3 (though with q3 source being GPL'ed it wont be long till they catch up). You see what most people don't realise is that, although alot of people have seen qw at galwaylans, I'm the only one who has all the special fancy graphics, and I play with "haxy" gfx settings so you can't even see them!

If you've got lots of bandwidth to spare, download TheBoss or QW Malfunctioned from here.

Sniipe wrote:
    Its a toss up for me about what rts we should really push. Warcraft III is a great game but is slightly dated in terms of what else is there ie DOW. Then there is C&C Zero hour!!! Don't know if this is as popular
    hmm dated!!!!! it is way way superior coughbiggestrtsthereis :rolleyes:
    but tbh it is not played in ireland to any high standard and i dont think having a solo tourny again would be good...although i would like more vouchers :D

dawn of war is such an imba game its crazy and it involves no micro,only macro but it is still quite fun.c&c zero hour is a joke.one week of that and i threw it in the bin/sold it...pity as i love the others....

Sniipe wrote:
    :rolleyes: :p

but tbh it is not played in ireland to any high standard

No game in Ireland is played to a high standard.

DRakE wrote:
    No game in Ireland is played to a high standard.

Ahem. Some of the best quake players in the world were irish.

*Were*

I said IS PLAYED. Aimsir Laithreach mate

Lads, fúck off.

You're getting in the way of discussion. I, and others reading this thread, could give a monkey's about what you think of GameX or the relative performance of a shrew versus a Spas-12

• Advertisement

What discussion?

Exactly.

{edit}

If either Fobia or Drake drag it off course again there'll be bannings.

I don't give a priest's profilactic about the community history of quake, CS, how much people are addicted to WoW or anything else that is not on-topic in this thread.

You two are always dragging threads off-topic in this forum. Cop on and keep it off this board. Some people bítched about the lack of organisation of the last lan. Some of those same people have posted in this thread. Some of those posts were woefully off-topic leading to this obstruction to the improvement of the lan.

Why?

{/edit}

SyxPak wrote:
    Why?

Because you touch yourself at night.

Hey come on now, we're not the only ones.. and i'm pretty sure that any discussion about GL15 wouldn't be hampered by anything I've said. I didn't say "COME ON EVERYONE, FOLLOW ME ON THE OFFTOPIC TRAIN". People aren't stupid (mainly) they can still discuss the lan, but if someone says something stupid why not call them out about it?

CAN'T WAIT FOR THE FIRST EVER GL15! (for serious)
    Ban fobia for going offtopic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

A BF2 Competition would be standard format. Depending on the space available (45 person lan or 65 Person) a rough Team count of 8 players and 7 Teams could be drawn up (taking into account those people who dont play or who cant handle teh Ub3r Grafficks). Prize money would be a Thousand Euro divided amongst the winners.
    However, that being said i am not 100% about having a lan with a large tournie as then you get alot of people who only show for the competition and spend the rest of the time leeching or whatever else.
    Alternativly a Poker-esque Type of competition could be run where the entry fee's of each team would go into a pot and winners would take the lot, runners up could receive some of the other prizes given to use by our sponsors.

either way, it would atleast see some drama take place. You greedy plebs!

Fobia, You need to give less lip. so for the next week you can sit idly and read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Why do we need Prize money?
    Im happy with the prizes that are normally given out at the lans.
    Alternativly a Poker-esque Type of competition could be run where the entry fee's of each team would go into a pot and winners would take the lot
    As for this I dont think it would work, as I think it would put some people off entering the competition. But thats just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

I've a good idea. To promote ppl playing more games we could have the €1000 given to the person with the most points.

E.G. Be on the winning CS team get 5 points, be on the runner up CS team and get 3 points. Get the highest kills in any CS game and get 3 points (promote team play).

Be on the winning BF2 team get 6 points (extra point for being a good team player - larger team) Get 3 points for runner up team. Get 6 points for highest kills.

Be the winner of Q3 5 points, second, 3 points, 3rd 2 points, 4th 1 point.
    Be the winner of UT2K4 5 points, second, 3 points, 3rd 2 points, 4th 1 point.
    Be the winner in QW get minus 10 points (just kidding Que) erm, 3 points

Be the winner in some rts game gets u 7 points(lets face it, if ur good at RTS; u've not spent enough time on FPS games)

2 points for playing in all the competitions

1 point for staying overnight

5 points for admins, cause they need it!

minus points could be given for the likes of misbehavior or doing something stupid, in which case a 5 min trial will be taken where everyone will be able to see (we may set up a lan Cam for this) - You will be judged by your peers --- sounds interesting.

I think gambling isn't the way to go.

I think he's on the right track with this :D
    Sniipe wrote:
    I've a good idea. To promote ppl playing more games we could have the €1000 given to the person with the most points.

E.G. Be on the winning CS team get 5 points, be on the runner up CS team and get 3 points. Get the highest kills in any CS game and get 3 points (promote team play).

Be on the winning BF2 team get 6 points (extra point for being a good team player - larger team) Get 3 points for runner up team. Get 6 points for highest kills.

Be the winner of Q3 5 points, second, 3 points, 3rd 2 points, 4th 1 point.
    Be the winner of UT2K4 5 points, second, 3 points, 3rd 2 points, 4th 1 point.
    Be the winner in QW get minus 10 points (just kidding Que) erm, 3 points

Be the winner in some rts game gets u 7 points(lets face it, if ur good at RTS; u've not spent enough time on FPS games)

2 points for playing in all the competitions

1 point for staying overnight

5 points for admins, cause they need it!

minus points could be given for the likes of misbehavior or doing something stupid, in which case a 5 min trial will be taken where everyone will be able to see (we may set up a lan Cam for this) - You will be judged by your peers --- sounds interesting.

I think gambling isn't the way to go.

Rory, we're not the Gardaí Siocháina, and neither are we GameCon.

Get the point not the points. I still reckon I could pull it off.

Does nobody realise that Battlefield can be won by one good player in a helicopter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

That depends on what type of opposition the person in the helicopter. You wouldn't be able to beat a well organised team.

How are you gonna get a well organised team at a galway lan where most of the people who play, only install the game on the day?

ARGINITE wrote:
    That depends on what type of opposition the person in the helicopter. You wouldn't be able to beat a well organised team.
    I'll only be installing BF2 a few days b4 the lan. A well organised team is out of the question... or is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I hit from a stinger and its all over, yes i do know about the flares but they are limited.

So you'll get everyone going Anti-Tank to try and take down the helicopters in vain :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Anti tank do not have stingers in bf2. Choppers are rather handy to take down in it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

On a more techie note:

Assuming I make it to GLXV, I will be running Linux only (have most of the games working already) so will a clamav scan do instead of AVG.

Or will you just accept that Linux is so Ubercool that it doesn't need a virus scan :cool:

On a more techie note:

Assuming I make it to GLXV, I will be running Linux only (have most of the games working already) so will a clamav scan do instead of AVG.

Or will you just accept that Linux is so Ubercool that it doesn't need a virus scan :cool:

I like the way you try to disguise an "I use linux I r teh teh win!" post with something actually meaningfull. You almost get away with it, respect. :)

I'll accept it. Are u using wine? Or something else to get the games working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

cedega (winex from transgaming.com), its a bit more work than using windows for game, but it beats having to reboot the machine just to play bf1942 or cs.

Also using cedega+point2play is much less work than using wine or using the cvs version of winex that nadir uses.

Have yet to really see them a full flight, just got most of my games installed at the weekend so basic startup tests only so far. I still need to check out Multi-player aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement