Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Glxv

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

cool. I'm interested in using winex, I've seen an older version. Did u have to pay for winex?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Sniipe wrote:
    cool. I'm interested in using winex, I've seen an older version. Did u have to pay for winex?

Wine was (and is) open source and as such free. Cedega is a program which a company created by developing the Wine source code professionally, it's closed source and it costs money. This has caused many linux groups to boycott cedega and the company, as they essentially took free software and made it commercial.

However cedega is alot easier to use (with the point2play thing giving it similarities to Windows), so I don't really have an opinion, but as it still has a limited number of games and not all these run too well, I wouldn't pay money for it just yet myself.

Have we set a date for this event?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Fobia wrote:
    Wine was (and is) open source and as such free. Cedega is a program which a company created by developing the Wine source code professionally, it's closed source and it costs money. This has caused many linux groups to boycott cedega and the company, as they essentially took free software and made it commercial.

However cedega is alot easier to use (with the point2play thing giving it similarities to Windows), so I don't really have an opinion, but as it still has a limited number of games and not all these run too well, I wouldn't pay money for it just yet myself.

not 100% accurate

cedega is still actually opensource, however the prepackaged version contains certain dll's and other third party binaries that cannot be redistributed. Basically these are files that currently there is no substitute for in wine or winex.

Most of the games that work for cedega will also work if you use the cvs version which is obtainable for free.
    winex cvs

http://www.transgaming.org is the site which is the community portal to transgaming.

€15 is a minimum subscription (3 months worth of support) if you wish to use the pre-packaged versions, if your using gentoo use of the cvs version is relatively straight forward, unfortunately the only alternative gui appears to be broken at the moment. Probably worth checking if the main games you want to play work well via the cvs version first.

back on topic, I guess we're looking at the October break for the next LAN? seems the most sensible time if any of the younger players are to attend.

We'd want to sort this out early enough to try and get all 3 rooms this time. Either that or check out other hotel's around Galway for space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Fobia wrote:

It's not the commerciality, there's nothing stopping anyone trying to sell OSS, it's just that who would buy it when it's freely available?
    The issue was that they (Transgaming) never contibuted back to the project with the code (Dx API layer) they had written.

Oh yeah, re: linux and gaming - I don't care what you use, so long as there's a virus scan performed (amavis is fine - just use recent virus defs). Same goes for OSX, Solarisx86 etc.

I'm putting an age limit on this lan.
    No under 16s. There was some 7-yar old lad wandering around at the last lan. We're not running a fúcking creche/net café. Another young lad (~14?) was sleeping on the bloody stairs. This age limit will be permanent, and may even have to raised to 18s and over - though I wouldn't like to see that if possible.

Age Limit of 16+ sounds very sensible to me. Sorry 7 year old and ~14 year old, ur not coming to the next lan. If you look young we won't be asking for ID we'll just kick you out.

Don't know when the october break is but how about we start of with this

LAN DATES: Friday Oct 14th till Sunday Oct 16th
    Date lan will go on room101.org is Tuesday September 6th (with an email going out to all of those on the mailing list the day before as a reminder; with the time it will go onto room101)

That's too early.

End of October at the earliest, perhaps first weekend in November. One last bit of fun before people settle into exam mode.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ya that's a good idea.i may go to that and promise myself that i will study.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

SyxPak wrote:
    It's not the commerciality, there's nothing stopping anyone trying to sell OSS, it's just that who would buy it when it's freely available?
    The issue was that they (Transgaming) never contibuted back to the project with the code (Dx API layer) they had written.

mmm, Ill try to make this one, I may need to buy a shuttle, damn
    /me looks in pockets for spare change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

SyxPak wrote:
    That's too early.

End of October at the earliest, perhaps first weekend in November. One last bit of fun before people settle into exam mode.
    Give Pyrogenx from midlans a call.
    AFAIK, he has somewhere booked for midlans on that weekend.

Which weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

as far as I know, its booked for the first weekend in october.

*edit: just found out its the 12th-13th of november

well I was thinking the last weekend in October or the first in Novemeber, so they won't clash anyways.

phew! that was close! :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

/me wanders off to turn off gameservers as their far too noisey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

End Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

no everyone just to busy getting ready for college to reply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Hmm, should we not leave a sufficient gap between GL and MidL?

Have lans within 2 weeks of each other seems like one will suffer slightly attendance wise... my view anyways.

As regards the 3 rooms, well a 60 person lan would be very nice indeed, theres one kink which has to be worked out which is connecting the very top room to the basement room, Have discussed this with the Gaffer and he said it shouldn't be a problem, but would have to give sufficient notice so the CAt-6 can be laid down. The very top room is also wired 3 phase so power should not be a problem (Unless the Dodgy Kettle of Annoyance and pain returns :D ) 2 power sockets and a network port in the wall for each person.

Theres definatly going to be xbox and Gamecube gaming at the next one, played on the projector. I also wanna see some UT2k4, q3 and CS:Source competitions in place. Unlike the last one a dedicated day for most of the compo's shall be set and adhered to. may also have a competition to see who can make s0l get sick again :D

18+ age limit methinks.
    16+ at the minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

how many people under 16 would actually attend it anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I think you be very surprised. missed the last lan but the one prior to it had alot of very young faces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Theres only a few, I dont think age would really change their attitudes, fact is, some of the people mentioned just dont know how to behave in a hotel.

John, next one after me burfday :D
    Also, c4ke needs sorting ;) *Wink**wink**nudge**nudge*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

i want cake :<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

"Poor kid thought he had an hour to cross the road."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Fobia wrote:
    "Poor kid thought he had an hour to cross the road."
    OFFTOPIC.
    Ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Apocalypse101

DRakE wrote:
    OFFTOPIC.
    Ban.

OFFTOPIC...
    Ban!! :p

(Got bored during computer class..
    why am i being taught MS Word in 2nd year!? :confused: )

LMAO, cause ur prob in a **** course for business type computing :D

(Got bored during computer class..
    why am i being thought MS Word in 2nd year!? :confused: )

So you can learn to use the spell-check function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

oooooof, burn on the intelligent level.

*taught

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Apocalypse101

Sniipe wrote:
    LMAO, cause ur prob in a **** course for business type computing :D
    :mad:
    Engineering... we dont need to spell!
    SyxPak wrote:
    So you can learn to use the spell-check function.
    This isnt Word, is it, there's no spell check here!! :(

Advertisement