Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can't open doors on Merc E230 '96

Options
  • 10-08-2005 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble opening the doors on a Merc E230. the remote will not open the doors nor will the key (its one of those flip keys). I'd say the lock is bust but how do I get into the car without breaking a window :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭rcunning03

bbability wrote:
    I'm having trouble opening the doors on a Merc E230. the remote will not open the doors nor will the key (its one of those flip keys). I'd say the lock is bust but how do I get into the car without breaking a window :confused:

Ring the AA or Rac, if you have membership or a garage if you don't, they have special tools to deal with a situation like this.

Alternatively, bend the metal of your door outwards using a crowbar and get someone with skinny arms to reach in and unlock the door, then bend metal back to original shape.

Personally I would use Rac or AA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

rcunning03 wrote:

Alternatively, bend the metal of your door outwards using a crowbar and get someone with skinny arms to reach in and unlock the door, then bend metal back to original shape.

Do NOT do that.
    Not unless you want a door that will never seal properly again.
    If it was a choice of the two I'd smash the window rather than bending the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Are the doors those automatic sealing doors? The ones that if you dont close right, they slide into place? If they are then it could be the hydrolics(sp!) that are borken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

can you open the boot? see if there's folding rear seats (an option on mercs) to get in and unlock the doors from the inside.

sounds like the compressor for the central locking system is slightly bolli><ed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

bbability wrote:

Not being too familiar with MB doors or their openers;
    How do they normally respond, ie as activated by an electric motor or solenoid, ie snappy. or by a vacuum, ie they respond like those old vac wipers of old, slowely and with great effort.

Odd that the key does not open them either way, mechanically.

Anyway, if the vacuum response... probably got a faulty check valve in the vac system so it is leaking down.
    Can you open the hood and have someone apply a vacuum via a pump to the vac system, tehn they shoudl open.

If Electrically operated, u'll need fool the system into activating the relay, unfortuantely the relay may be inside the cabin. however, it should still be possible to open them with a key, or how else could you gain entry if the batt failed?
    same goes for a vacuum system.

Next best option is a "SLIM JIM", essentially slide a bent welding rod wire or clothes hanger down between the glass and the door seal and fish about for the latch.
    Even my wife got that to work on one of our vehicles.

How is a "flip key" functionally different from any other key?.

• Advertisement
Advertisement