Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hall - Wooden Floors or Tiles

Options
  • 10-08-2005 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting wooden floors (probably oak semi-solid) in a new house but wondering what other peoples opinions of this are in terms of wear and tear. It's in a new housing estate (with lots of building in the area for the next 18 months) so there will be lots of crap dragged in on the floors.

has anyone got it in their hall and regretted it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well if you have a side entrance it shouldnt really matter about the muck etc being brought in to hall,use it.Over the years I've had carpet(which if you have kids forget it).

At moment I have laminate floors which are fine,but excess washing or lambasing it with water can over a time reveal where it was joined.Laminate is hardwearing and cheapish.Tiles I reckon would be letal if you are going into hall after its been raining,but there is anti-slip ones I think.

Wood/laminate I reckon is the way to go.Because if you have tiles down it can be a pig to change if you re-decorate you're walls/woodwork and it clashes. :D

Goodluck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Rubens

Hi

Tiles are the most washable of the lot especially if dirty foot traffic is involved.

Choose a neutral colour and even if you change your mind in a few years you can lay timber,laminate or carpet over the tiles or even tile over them(once)...

RJ

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

we moved in 2 months ago...

We put laminate floors in the sitting room/ Living and study...
    In the hall we put a ceramic polished tile... and the kitchen & utility we put a tile which was made up of 4 different sizes and they go together in a pattern.

I am pleased with kitchen and util as the tile hides the dirt well especially with the dogs..

The hall has been a bit of a pain as you are constantly cleaning the polished tile as the dogs and baby leave there marks every day.

The laminate floor is good but you have to swiffer nearly every day as dust tends to clump together.

our friends have a victorian style red and black mosaic style. Hall looks really nice. Had a look at doing this first in our hall but it was just too small for the border.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Hi Scargill,

Our last house was on a new estate, and like yours there was loads of building going on, no roads yet, etc.

We tiled inside our front door as far as the stairwell with black tiles and then put semi solid maple flooring down the rest of the hall. We fould this worked really well as the most wear and tear will be just inside the door. We never had to worry about this area getting scratched or damaged. It was good as hubby plays rugby and he tended to throw his gear bag down just inside the door - again this did'nt matter on the tiles. It looked really well, was easy to keep, it was the best of both worlds and everyone complimented it

HTH

Dools

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

We are in the same situation as yourself with building going on all over the place. We have semi-solid oak in both the living room and the hall. We've been in two months now and so far so good. I think it works ok because we have heavy doormat out the front (brush type), a fabric type doormat inside the door and a hall runner up the middle of the hall. There's still plenty of floor exposed after all that, but marks are rare so far.

I think the place has a much warmer feel with wood than with tiles, imo.

B.

• Advertisement
Advertisement